Another new pharmacy shool in Southern California - Claremont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
holy hell

okay i will buck the trend of bad mouthing new schools and say this school will probably be all sorts of awesome.

KGI is a really innovative school (i've had friends graduate with their hybrid MBS degree....like an MS science + quasi-MBA), and Chapman is kind of like a stealthy heavy hitter in Orange County, and it's been around for a while + has the financial backing & history to make it work.

This is probably the next best thing to UC Irvine opening a pharmacy school in the OC area.

Hmmm...this just popped onto my radar for being a faculty member. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to be guilty and admit that the description does sound cool and fancy lol but that sucks, as if the OC isn't saturated enough? They're probably trying to making PharmD/researcher hybrids to pump into all the biotech and pharma companies in OC and SD.

I second the professorship comment. Haha, if you can't find a job as a pharmacist, you can find one as a pharmacy professor for sure, when all these new schools are opening :idea:

I have to be guilty and admit that the description does sound cool and fancy lol but that sucks, as if the OC isn't saturated enough? They're probably trying to making PharmD/researcher hybrids to pump into all the biotech and pharma companies in OC and SD.

I second the professorship comment. Haha, if you can't find a job as a pharmacist, you can find one as a pharmacy professor for sure, when all these new schools are opening :idea:

Haha, and I mean Chapman was about to drop some serious coin to buy the Crystal Cathedral before the Roman Catholic Archdiocese grabbed it. Finances are not an issue, unlike the other potential schools, I'd bet this will get further sooner.

This is cool. i can fire all my highly paid pharmacists and hire new pharmacists at $78k per year!!!

Reactions: 1 users
claremont is 5 miles from Pomona, where WesternU is... Is this a joke?

Not that it matters, but looks like classes will start at the Keck campus then move over to Orange. At least that's 25 miles away from Pomona? Haha...

But hey don't worry, my school opened up 3 miles away from one school and 4.6 miles away from another school, the universe didn't end.

Here's the want ad for the founding dean...interesting note in the last sentence of the fourth paragraph- the dean will report to the board of regents for the school of pharmacy, not Keck or Chapman officials. That strikes me as unusual- not familiar with that occurring elsewhere (though perhaps normal for a joint venture like this)- wonder how that will fly with ACPE.

Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences and Chapman University are collaborating to create an innovative School of BioPharmacy offering a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) degree program. We seek a Founding Dean who will share our unique vision and lead the design of a new approach to Pharmacy education strongly connected to the entrepreneurial spirit of the collaborating institutions and building on their partnerships with the health care and biotechnology industries. The school will admit its inaugural class in fall 2014, pending approval by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education and the Western Association of Schools & Colleges.

The Dean of the Chapman KGI School of BioPharmacy will lead the school to educate pharmacists for a new era in health care delivery and for emerging opportunities in the life sciences industry. The curriculum will build upon current programs of the parent institutions, integrating pharmacogenomics, discovery and delivery of new molecular and cell based-therapies and diagnostics, bioprocessing, clinical trial management and regulatory affairs, pharmaco-economics, bioinformatics, medical informatics and ethics. This innovative program will expand opportunities for pharmacists to become leaders in modern clinical practice and in the bioscience industry.

Graduates from the Chapman-KGI School of BioPharmacy will bring modern, sophisticated knowledge of the applied life sciences to health care delivery, and knowledge about therapeutics, therapy management, and regulatory affairs to shape discovery and drug delivery in biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.

The school will be located on the KGI campus in Claremont, California, joining the KGI graduate programs in the applied life sciences, and will have an experiential base on the Chapman University campus in Orange County. The dean will report to a Board of Regents for the School of BioPharmacy.

Initial responsibilities include: leading the ACPE accreditation process, beginning with application for precandidate status; recruiting a leadership team and faculty; designing a curriculum that embodies the motivating concept for creating the school; developing standards for active pedagogy that incorporate synchronous and asynchronous learning technologies; overseeing renovations and construction of facilities for the pharmacy program; fundraising; and establishing collaborative relationships for interprofessional learning, experiential placements and marketing the school to potential students and employers.

Candidates must possess a terminal degree (PharmD and/or PhD) and an entrepreneurial spirit, and energy and vision indicative of the ability to shape and lead this innovative School of BioPharmacy. The person chosen will have a record of exceptional teaching, scholarship and leadership, exceptional interpersonal and administrative skills, proven high ethics and integrity. A track record of successful fundraising and support for research and grant generation is expected. Individuals with experience in establishing academic-Industry partnerships are encouraged to apply. Candidates are expected to fulfill the dean of pharmacy qualifications and characteristics set forth in the ACPE Accreditation Standards and Guidelines.

The position offers a competitive salary and benefits.

capitalism at its finest. Only change is permanent.

With some confidence, I can say that in 10 years pharmacy profession will be markedly different from what it is now. The forces of oversupply of labor on one side and technology advancements on the other.

The folks three miles away certainly thought the universe was ending...

well, when a) high powered/high quality faculty leave, b) your dean leaves/retires, and c) your overarching university has an identity crisis and bad advertising....you'd probably **** your pants too.

EDIT: I'm confusing upper management, ignore b, b should generically read "when there's high level managerial movement."

Last edited:
capitalism at its finest. Only change is permanent.

With some confidence, I can say that in 10 years pharmacy profession will be markedly different from what it is now. The forces of oversupply of labor on one side and technology advancements on the other.

unless pharmacists get prescribing rights

FORGET about it, its gonna be brutal

Members don't see this ad :)
the dean will report to the board of regents for the school of pharmacy, not Keck or Chapman officials. That strikes me as unusual- not familiar with that occurring elsewhere (though perhaps normal for a joint venture like this)- wonder how that will fly with ACPE.

I wonder what this board will look like, I would venture a guess it would be dominated by university administrators on both sides (KGI/Chapman) + a handful of other members. It would be like a de facto way of reporting to the school itself.

Curious about the corporate structure as well, but more curious to see how well they build their hospital affiliations.

5) Lastly, who gives a F**CK if we are 5 minutes away from Western?!! Most of us want to experience other fields in pharmacy anyways, other than your traditional community setting so don't worry about us contributing a whole lot to the over saturation of pharmacists in Cali.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. It doesn't matter what student interest is on the outset, the majority of students will enter work in community and hospital settings which are severely impacted jobs-wise. Even if a pie-in-the-sky 50% of the 1st class of ~80 students enters industry/research/etc... that still shoves 40 pharmacists into a labor market that cannot support it.

So let's attack KGI for what it is... a great school/program (the MBS there is awesome) whose mere existence is what is detested.

Reactions: 3 users
I cant speak for other pharmacy schools opening up, but KGI definitely make the most sense and is the more reputable "new school" and here are reasons why..
1)KGI itself is not new, its been open for almost 20 years now producing hundreds of graduates who have gone out and done wonderful things in the biosciences field and working for big pharmaceutical companies.
2) KGI belongs to the Claremont Colleges, one of the most prestigious consortiums in the nation, meaning that it should have no problem getting accreditation compared to schools like the one in Fresno which has no institutional backing. And don't even get me started on West Coast...
3) KGI School of Pharmacy is new, but like I said the school is already established and reputable and has the financial stability.
4)The curriculum is innovative and it makes the most sense out of any other pharmacy school out there. We get the traditional education for community and hospital pharmacy, but also branch out to industry and the fields of the biosciences and biotechnology. We have tons of great networking within our faculty with these big pharm companies, so getting a job right out of school in that field shouldn't be a problem.
5) Lastly, who gives a F**CK if we are 5 minutes away from Western?!! Most of us want to experience other fields in pharmacy anyways, other than your traditional community setting so don't worry about us contributing a whole lot to the over saturation of pharmacists in Cali.

I thought they put the ads at the top of the page?

Reactions: 1 users
People, we need to focus on the accrediting agency for pharmacy education--point of entry. They must be pressured to add requirements (like dental school) or require residencies to practice (medical school) to make it difficult to open a school. Any pseudo reputable school interested in opening a pharmacy school has already done so. Think of the naive undergrads that are being taken advantage of...

People, we need to focus on the accrediting agency for pharmacy education--point of entry. They must be pressured to add requirements (like dental school) or require residencies to practice (medical school) to make it difficult to open a school. Any pseudo reputable school interested in opening a pharmacy school has already done so. Think of the naive undergrads that are being taken advantage of...
Residency to work at CVS? Riiight...

Reactions: 3 users
Regardless, even if Harvard or Yale wanted to open a pharmacy school. IT IS NOT NEEDED! Even in NY people are saying at least Binghamton is a SUNY school, but the labor market doesn't say to itself "well there's only 1 state school in NY so bring it on"... What matters in the workforce is the number of graduates regardless of the type of school students come from and the increased amount of graduates is just not needed right now. I would be against any pharmacy school at an IVY as much as a "diploma mill" in Cali.

upload_2014-12-7_14-58-43.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I cant speak for other pharmacy schools opening up, but KGI definitely make the most sense and is the more reputable "new school" and here are reasons why..
1)KGI itself is not new, its been open for almost 20 years now producing hundreds of graduates who have gone out and done wonderful things in the biosciences field and working for big pharmaceutical companies.
2) KGI belongs to the Claremont Colleges, one of the most prestigious consortiums in the nation, meaning that it should have no problem getting accreditation compared to schools like the one in Fresno which has no institutional backing. And don't even get me started on West Coast...
3) KGI School of Pharmacy is new, but like I said the school is already established and reputable and has the financial stability.
4)The curriculum is innovative and it makes the most sense out of any other pharmacy school out there. We get the traditional education for community and hospital pharmacy, but also branch out to industry and the fields of the biosciences and biotechnology. We have tons of great networking within our faculty with these big pharm companies, so getting a job right out of school in that field shouldn't be a problem.

Nice first post. That is a lot to say for a school that has produced no graduates and is operating in an extremely glutted market/time.

Nice first post. That is a lot to say for a school that has produced no graduates and is operating in an extremely glutted market/time.[/QUO You must of my first point where I mentioned that KGI has produced hundreds of graduates in the last 20 years.

Said the shill from KGI. You guys don't have a graduating pharmacy class until 2018. This is a new market for you. Why don't you come back for some more shilling then?

Said the shill from KGI. You guys don't have a graduating pharmacy class until 2018. This is a new market for you. Why don't you come back for some more shilling then?

I will be the first to say that KGI is a pretty good school for the niche it fills in terms of melding business w/ biological sciences.

However, until I see KGI pharmacy students on rotations and in practice, as well as the match rates and industry uptake rates, I'll withhold judgement on quality.

But that doesn't negate the whole "there's just too many goddamn pharmacy schools" issue. KGI might be able to walk on water, but if there's no water, then the point is moot.

I attended a morning ACPE session about accreditation during Midyear in Anaheim. There was no discussion about the glut of new schools. I see no end in sight.