ANOTHER new school in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a great need for more pharmacists. New grads are getting 40 hours a week plus all the shifts they can handle. 401 k, health and dental insurance at virtually no cost. Loan assistance (IBR). Sign on bonus. Yup pharmacy is growing and is a sure thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
School is look for new faculty. I am try apply for to be faculty to this schhol. Do residency require for faculty??

There is a great need for more pharmacists. New grads are getting 40 hours a week plus all the shifts they can handle. 401 k, health and dental insurance at virtually no cost. Loan assistance (IBR). Sign on bonus. Yup pharmacy is growing and is a sure thing.

If we all jump at the same time when the elevator crashes we'll be ok!

Dang.

So that makes NY have how many now?

1. LIU (NYC)
2. Touro (NYC)
3. St. Johns (NYC)
4. Albany (Satellite campus in another state)
5. Wegmens (Rochester)
6. D'Youville
7. SUNY Buffalo
8. Now SUNY Binghamton

And don't forget PA/NJ/CT - as many students in those schools look to work in NY as well.

I guess TPTB really want to make this profession implode........

I am really speechless.

:oops:

“I am honestly very jealous of those students who will have the opportunity to go to pharmacy school here,” Netz said. “I think a lot of undergrads will be interested in it; it gives pre-health majors more options than just doctor, dentist and nurse.”

Please... jealous? I'm not - 2017 is 3 years away... more saturation... less jobs.

http://www.bupipedream.com/news/28283/pharm-school/

Just what we needed, a school in Binghamton. Not surprising that SUNY wants to make even more money off of pharmacy.

There must still be bank to make in PharmD school development... who wants to go in together and make another?

This school is going to be the new premier option for pharmacy schools in NYS. Right now, NYC students have to choose between LIU, Touro, and St. Johns which are all expensive. SUNY Binghampton should be affordable compare to those guys. If this place was around when I was applying, I'd definitely pick this place. The requirements to get in will probably be just as tough as SUNY Buffalo though.

School is look for new faculty. I am try apply for to be faculty to this schhol. Do residency require for faculty??
Is this a joke? I know if I got your resume with that grasp of the English language you would be the first I would interview.
Not to sound harsh, but geesch.

Is this a joke? I know if I got your resume with that grasp of the English language you would be the first I would interview.
Not to sound harsh, but geesch.

NO joke. I think be faculty is not so good english is ok becuase you can available to do other things because no have to deal to patients and customers so is ok. I very serious anybody know to be how faculty? I found link to email to but no job posting for faculty so I have email already to them. I think to be faculty is to be better than me work at pharmacy, what do you think??

Reactions: 1 user
NO joke. I think be faculty is not so good english is ok becuase you can available to do other things because no have to deal to patients and customers so is ok. I very serious anybody know to be how faculty? I found link to email to but no job posting for faculty so I have email already to them. I think to be faculty is to be better than me work at pharmacy, what do you think??
Ummmm what?

Members don't see this ad :)
This school is going to be the new premier option for pharmacy schools in NYS. Right now, NYC students have to choose between LIU, Touro, and St. Johns which are all expensive. SUNY Binghampton should be affordable compare to those guys. If this place was around when I was applying, I'd definitely pick this place. The requirements to get in will probably be just as tough as SUNY Buffalo though.

Very true. I didn't finish my app to Touro because of the cost and didn't bother applying to Buffalo because of the competitiveness.

But in attending Binghamton I doubt you'd have the connections the city schools have if you wanted to work in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens.

“I am honestly very jealous of those students who will have the opportunity to go to pharmacy school here,” Netz said. “I think a lot of undergrads will be interested in it; it gives pre-health majors more options than just doctor, dentist and nurse.”

Please... jealous? I'm not - 2017 is 3 years away... more saturation... less jobs.

There must still be bank to make in PharmD school development... who wants to go in together and make another?

Less Jobs?? I think NO jobs after 3-4 years..!!!

Very true. I didn't finish my app to Touro because of the cost and didn't bother applying to Buffalo because of the competitiveness.

But in attending Binghamton I doubt you'd have the connections the city schools have if you wanted to work in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens.

Me fail english? thats unpossible!

Binghamton does not need a pharmacy school, geesh! It's bad enough Albany opened a satellite campus and now people consider ACP a diploma mill.

It’s very frustrating and sad to hear that even more pharmacy schools are opening up given the current pharmacist job market. The biggest question is how can we prevent all these new pharmacy schools from opening up? Is there anything we can do? SUNY Binghamton will have to receive funding from the NY governor and SUNY in order to construct the new pharmacy school. Where is there a petition to block these funds? Pharmacist should rally together to help save and preserve our profession. It seems to me that nurses are always working together to support and protect their profession – but pharmacists don’t do the same.

IMO, they should open up more state/city funded pharmacy schools. Lower tuition rates, it will be hard for the private schools to compete and hopefully the private schools get closed down.

I agree with you, but the problem is that job creation within the profession cannot keep pace with the speed that the schools are cranking out graduates. Most of these new grads are going to flock to retail due to the 6-figure salary and the illusion of jobs within the retail sector. I say illusion b/c retail, as it is practiced now, is basically a "burn & churn" body factory = extremely high turnover rate. Jobs that have high turnover rates usually have the worst working conditions (I don't care how one spins it, standing on your feet for 12-13+ hours with no lunch break is inhumane). As more schools open, conditions in the retail sector are going to deteriorate rapidly (if you think things are bad now.......just wait) Hospitals cannot possibly absorb the spillover from retail, as state budgets are getting slashed and many hospitals cannot simply afford to hire pharmacists/residents. Also, there are not enough residencies/fellowships to accommodate everyone.

The field of pharmacy backed itself into a corner and has essentially created a "bubble" for itself. The first major mistake pharmacy did was try to follow the physician model of education (the doctoral degree, clinical residencies, fellowships). Ok, that's well and good but big problem is that pharmacists cannot diagnose, prescribe and administer (only in 1-2 settings). Heck, we don't even have mid-level status. Pharmacy should have just stick with the bachelors degree.

Second problem pharmacy made - the retail giants worked in collusion with state boards of pharmacy and academia to build schools in a hurried frenzy in order to correct the shortage. Ok, there was a shortage of pharmacists. I understand maybe building 10-15 schools, nationwide, over a 20 year time period. That might make supply/demand equal. But dang nammit, 15+ schools in less than 6 years?! That's greed at its finest.

3rd problem - the schools and retail giants overestimated themselves. They naively suspected most pharmacists over the age of 50 would mass retire by now. What they didn't foresee happening was the stock market crash of 2008. Many pharmacists saw their retirement either shredded or destroyed. Now these same pharmacists cannot hope to retire anytime soon.

4th problem - emerging technologies. That's going to su<k.

5th - technicians assuming more responsibilities. See Problem #4.

It doesn't matter if SUNY Binghamton would be cheaper than LIU. The damage is already done. Those that are going to survive this catastrophe will have no choice but to adapt and acquire a new set of skills that can take them beyond pharmacy and/or just leave pharmacy altogether. But for those that are going to continue the traditional path of pharmacy (dispensing/compounding/counselling) are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem is the pharmacy schools. It doesn't matter whether they are public or private, new or old, big or small. They are not held accountable for the education and training they provide. They train you for jobs that do not exist. The thing they don't tell you is that their faculty are not being paid by the hospitals because they can't bill for their services. They are just "volunteers" and they are being paid with students' tuition.

I don't think they mistakenly "overestimate" themselves. They know exactly what they are doing. They are in this for the money. That is why they are still expanding and new schools are still opening. That is why they are not working with the ACPE to increase pharmacy school standards. Why? Because it will cost them money. They then accept subpar students and dump all of these new grads in the job market, many of them don't have the practical experience to work as a pharmacist. But it doesn't matter. They are getting paid regardless if these new grads are able to find a job or not. It is almost like a perfect business model.

Last edited:
It can't last forever BMBiology. Law schools are already on the brink of closure, the same will happen to pharmacy schools. After all how dull do you have to be to go to school for 6-10 years for a 80% chance of a job making 75,000 while going $200,000 into debt. No one dreams of being a pharmacist when they're a kid, it's a very practical career choice. They can't sell it as a versatile degree. We just need to keep telling the truth, schools will close.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope you are right but I have a feeling pharmacy schools would just keep on lowering their admission standards while accepting more students. I am sure there are plenty of pharmacy technicians who would rather be a pharmacist.

It's a pretty good business model. Hire new graduates. Hire foreign trained PhDs who need a visa. Pay for rotation sites. Encourage students to take on more student loans (the schools get some of the origination fee so if a student borrows more money, the more fee they get). Simple enough.

GROWTH OF THE ACADEMY

The size of the academy was relatively stable during the 1980s and 1990s. In 2000, there were 80 colleges and schools of pharmacy in the United States. Since then, 48 new programs have been established and 2 schools combined into 1 college, bringing the total to 127 accredited colleges and schools as of fall 2012—a 60% increase from 2000.5

According to AACP reports, there were 7,000 first-professional PharmD degree graduates in 2001 and 11,931 in 2011, a 70% increase.6,7 Despite the rapid rate at which new pharmacy colleges and schools have been established, even greater growth of the academy has resulted from the expansion of previously existing programs. Of the increase in graduates from 2001 to 2011 by 4,931, only 1,886 (38%) can be attributed to new pharmacy programs; 62% of the increase resulted from the expansion of existing programs. Since 2001, 31 colleges and schools increased their number of PharmD graduates by more than 50%.6,7 There are now 41 satellite campuses—5 of which are in a state other than that of the parent program.5 Growth has been widespread, affecting every region of the country. Twenty-one states are projected to increase the number of statewide graduates by 100% or more during the 15-year period from 2001 to 2016

The growth has yet to abate. Although 27 new pharmacy colleges and schools had not graduated a class as of 2011, their class sizes totaled 2,250 students. By 2016, when the graduates of these colleges and schools are included in the count and when the recent expansion of existing programs has taken effect, the number of PharmD graduates will range between 14,000 and 15,000 per year, more than double the number in 2001.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687123/

This is what I mean when I say pharmacy schools are encouraging students to take on more student loan debt. USC allows students to borrow $3,500 for a computer. Who the hell spends that much money on a computer? The more student loans these students take, the more money the schools make from origination fee. Stafford loans charges 1% origination fee while graduate plus loan charges 4.2% so if you borrowed $100 k from graduate plus loan, you need to pay $4,200 in origination fee.

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/fa/

Welcome to the "College Industrial Complex". Academia is not about "higher learning" anymore. It's all a big business scam for academia to get rich off of easy student loan money regardless if students learn or not.

After browsing around the various medical forums (MD, DO, etc.) on the Student Doctor network, pharmacy is not the only field experiencing a deliberate saturation of the field. IMHO, I just think pharmacy is experiencing saturation exponentially quicker than the other medical disciplines.....

To add insult to injury, if say a pharmacist wanted to acquire new skills to stay ahead of the competition, it almost always requires more schooling to get ahead (more debt). It's like a very cruel game.

Hopefully, in the very near future, the market corrects itself with regards to the mafioso known as "academia".

This is what I mean when I say pharmacy schools are encouraging students to take on more student loan debt. USC allows students to borrow $3,500 for a computer. Who the hell spends that much money on a computer? The more student loans these students take, the more money the schools make from origination fee. Stafford loans charges 1% origination fee while graduate plus loan charges 4.2% so if you borrowed $100 k from graduate plus loan, you need to pay $4,200 in origination fee.

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/fa/

I actually spent $5000 on my laptop. Lasted me a good 5 years before the hard drives died. Technically all I have to do is replace the hard drives and it will work fine again. Alienware laptops are awesome man.

I actually spent $5000 on my laptop. Lasted me a good 5 years before the hard drives died. Technically all I have to do is replace the hard drives and it will work fine again. Alienware laptops are awesome man.
A student who sits near me has an alienware laptop and plays games on it during class. You can tell when because the laptop becomes a jet engine.

A student who sits near me has an alienware laptop and plays games on it during class. You can tell when because the laptop becomes a jet engine.

Sounds like me. But back then my laptop was pretty much top of the line and could play anything with ease without the fans spooling up.

I spent like 275 on my laptop! Like 3 years ago and I'm still using it now for school. I know nothing about technology. Haha

Yes but can you run multiple Crysis games while rendering video?
You see this is why I don't like those 'pre-pharm/pre-med/pre-anything' forums: everyone is so worried about how they will prepare for school, but nobody mentions the important things like this.

If you buy a 300 dollar laptop what are you going to do when your preceptor disappears for two hours and doesn't leave you with a project? Be proactive or something? Pff

Oh, is that the problem with Binghamton ha ha ha