Another q's to ponder... How much loan do you have after 6 year omfs/MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO after dental school and omfs residency which includes med school.... My loan balance is around 400K. I wonder when am I going to pay this off.

Members don't see this ad.

How fast you can pay that off all depends on your expectations and needs for lifestyle post-residency. With a low-average OMS salary you shouldn't have significant financial difficulties paying off that amount in 10 years while still living well above average.

Yeah, 400k is not daunting at all for an oral surgeon...go check out the avg wages on the ADA site from 2010

There are people coming out of dental school with more debt than that

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, 400k is not daunting at all for an oral surgeon...go check out the avg wages on the ADA site from 2010

There are people coming out of dental school with more debt than that

I wouldn't say it's not daunting. It's definitely a lot to have hanging over your head, especially your first few years out when your cash flow will be on the lower end. Still daunting, but definitely doable.

Personally,

I think an OMS applicant should try to keep their debt down. Look into programs with less time in med school and cheap yearly tuition.

$400,000 is a lot of money.

I left dental school with about $430,000 and after med school I'll be looking at $600,000.

That just hangs over my head every single day. It's a horrible burden

I left dental school with about $430,000 and after med school I'll be looking at $600,000.

That just hangs over my head every single day. It's a horrible burden

wow... and I thought my projected 180k after med school was a crap ton. Do you ever wish you just stuck with either med school alone or solely d-school?

If the lowered resident stipend during med school essentially covers tuition, can/does a resident take out federal loans for living expenses?

If the lowered resident stipend during med school essentially covers tuition, can/does a resident take out federal loans for living expenses?

Most stipends will not cover med school tuition. So you'll do loans for tuition and living expenses.