Another question about emailing PDs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karine04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation: I am a fairly decent DO student (middling grades, very good clinical evals, eh on board scores, excellent LORs (was told on an interview)), applying to only allopathic programs in OB/GYN. I applied to 30 programs and have been offered 9 interviews so far (although I will cancel one due to issues with the program). I'm getting nervous that this simply isn't enough. I applied to several DO-friendly programs, a few of which I haven't heard from yet. Would it be reasonable to email the PDs and inquire about the status of my application? Would it be more prudent to email the residency coordinator/secretary?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can e-mail them if you wish, it may or may not help. I'd jsut sit back.

OB/GYN isn't a terribly competative field. You have 9 interviews, that's a lot. Have you received any rejections yet?

along those same lines, i am applying for internalmed (obvious i guess haha)......I haven't heard from a few programs, but there is one that is at the moment my top choice out of where i have applied. I think I am a borderline candidate--just based on previous years I feel like I can swing either way in regards to whether or not I get an interview. I was told by a fellow to email the program. Should I email the PD or the coordinator? Also, not sure exactly what to say......how do I tactfully ask for an interview or ask what the status is? Thanks! Clearly I am very clueless.

along those same lines, i am applying for internalmed (obvious i guess haha)......I haven't heard from a few programs, but there is one that is at the moment my top choice out of where i have applied. I think I am a borderline candidate--just based on previous years I feel like I can swing either way in regards to whether or not I get an interview. I was told by a fellow to email the program. Should I email the PD or the coordinator? Also, not sure exactly what to say......how do I tactfully ask for an interview or ask what the status is? Thanks! Clearly I am very clueless.

ditto

It seems this is the million dollar question on all our minds NOW is.
Should we contact program directors?
Whom to contact PD or Residency Coordinator?
How do we ask for our status WITHOUT giving a bad impression of ourselves?

I guess a lot of factors have to be taken into consideration but generally, I don't see how it can be bad to do so...