another reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilfdinar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
Maryland resident graduated 2014. 3.6 gpa and 3.55 sgpa 36 MCAT(expires) . I am planning to apply again to medical school in June 2017.
I asked one of the schools that rejected me on what I should improved on and they emailed me back saying that I have:

Above Average: MCAT, Medical Volunteering, shadowing
Average: teamwork/leadership, research
Less than Average: Academics, community service/humanism,

What is the best way to improve my GPA? Is it a bit too late to get accepted into a post bac this cycle. Should I take classes in a local college this fall or should I wait and apply to EVMS or Temple next cycle.
What interesting/meaningful community service opportunities can I do this year?(do you have any suggestions)
What MD/ DO schools should I apply to next year?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be fine to take science and non science courses that you have not taken previously at a local college. They do not need to be difficult courses. Rather take courses that you believe you can receive A's in. Shadowing and clinical volunteering hours would be a good idea. You will probably need to retake the MCAT since many schools may not accept the old MCAT by 2018. That means some serious studying for the new MCAT. As far as schools apply to U Maryland and these schools assuming your new MCAT score is at least 512:
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Hofstra
Albany
New York Medical
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
EVMS
West Virginia
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
There will also be several other private schools opening by 2018 and apply to all of those including Seton Hall, Henricopolis, Roseman, etc.
Did you receive any interviews this past cycle?

Your stats are fine at 3.6/36 this isn't a numbers issue at all. Focus on other things beyond your GPA

Where all did you apply and get IIs. Maryland is as competitive a state as they come you need a good OOS list.

It would help if you defined what your Ecs were particularly in terms of service. Because if EC wise you are largely sufficient I would seriously consider reapplying before that 36 expires which is the clear strength of your application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT already expired. I took it September 2013.
I applied to about 20 places and got 1 interview at virginia tech
I would say most of my service ECs were one a days. < 30 hours, (I mostly volunteered at my local hospital >400 hours)
This year however I have started helping Syrian refugees this year.
Do you have any DO schools you can recommend applying to?

You are competititve for any DO school so find at least 6 schools that interest you. However, you should have a good chance for a MD acceptance if you do well on the new MCAT and apply broadly. Next year when you are ready to apply again post again with an update including your new MCAT score.

Continue to improve and build up your service. Working with Syrian refugees is good. Continuing your clinical volunteering is also a good idea. Doing more service in the community with the most vulnerable and unfortunate populations is a good focus to target.

Spend as much time as you need to study for the new version of the MCAT so you can get a similar score.

Presentation of your accomplishments and how you present yourself in your application is as important as your actual accomplishments. This is an area for you to look upon improving because 3.6/36 netting 1 II out of 20 schools is a low ratio and indicates this might be an area that could be improved. In fact, a reapplicant with stats these high brings upon concerns to some evaluators. Some will presume if you have a 3.6/36 youll have gotten interviews in the past and couldnt cash in or that there is some deficit not readily apparent that is holding you back because your stats are well within a comfortable range for an MD acceptance.

If you do all this I dont think you need DOs and that's not where I would focus on. You have the components for a good application. You just need to fine tune everything, and have an application with a clear focus and compelling aspects to it. Do all this, there's no reason you cant be successful for MD admission.

thanks for all of your help sincerely. I will post an update when it is time.