another reason to love your fellow med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eject

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/f...socialqs&gwh=8926E7B464BAE4F61235820CAE23DD19

Line Item Veto

My husband of three months and I are medical students. We rely on a combination of loans, savings and parental support for tuition and living expenses. My parents cut me a check at the beginning of each semester. His parents receive his monthly credit card statement and pay it directly. This leads to conversations like: “What did you buy at Banana Republic for $42?” I find this intrusive. My husband does not. How should I address the situation?

Elizabeth, New York City

I hate when people pay my bills, too. Such needless generosity! Try saying, “Thank you” — often.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people are so spoiled. The real world will be a tough transition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/f...socialqs&gwh=8926E7B464BAE4F61235820CAE23DD19

Line Item Veto

My husband of three months and I are medical students. We rely on a combination of loans, savings and parental support for tuition and living expenses. My parents cut me a check at the beginning of each semester. His parents receive his monthly credit card statement and pay it directly. This leads to conversations like: “What did you buy at Banana Republic for $42?” I find this intrusive. My husband does not. How should I address the situation?

Elizabeth, New York City

I hate when people pay my bills, too. Such needless generosity! Try saying, “Thank you” — often.

I have had help from both of my parents along the way, but have not been carried by any means. While I stand to receive and accept any help from parents financially, I have no right to feel intruded upon when they inquire about expenses.

it is no different than being in a company and telling your board of investors to butt out when they ask how their money is being spent.

am i sexist for not being surprised by the difference in opinions between the writer and her husband? maybe my experiences are biased by I feel like woman are much more prone to feeling intruded upon in the face of enormous benefit.... maybe I am just swayed by all of the 16 year old girls I see on TV who freak out about "being adults" and "it's my life" and so on and so forth without really contemplating where they would be without the car, the roof, and the food that is handed to them :rofl:

Line Item Veto

Elizabeth, New York City

What part of it's their money to do you not understand?

When you give people money there is a certain expectation about how it's going to be spent implicit in the agreement. It's a good question. What was the necessity for a $42 banana republic purchase? Chinos for clinic, on sale - great! Open neck, EXTRA medium t-shirt (girl look at that body! I work out!) . . . not so much.