Another sacrifice for the bigger goal = challenge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I might have to reject a very prestigious opportunity in order to focus on my MCAT and applications, which unfortunately will be very difficult to balance with this scholarship which is a year long abroad program. I'm incredibly disappointed with this, but as the days go on I'm not seeing a practical answer. Could I use this in my challenge essay for med school? I feel like it would let adcoms know that I was capable of getting this prestigious fellowship, but also wise enough to reject it in the face of bigger goals. I could talk about dealing with indecisiveness and regret, and the (hopefully) positive outcome received in the form of a high mcat. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps treat the abroad trip as a "gap year" and go on it? The MCAT will always be there for you to take and study for, whereas this program is (realistically) a once in a lifetime opportunity. Medical schools might even look positively on your decision to go on the program as it is long term opportunity for you to grow and develop.

Reactions: 1 user
I could throw this right back in your face and ask "why not take the fellowship and simply wait a year?", or "why couldn't you do both?"

My gut reaction is that academic disappointments don't fly very well as answers for this prompt.

I think I might have to reject a very prestigious opportunity in order to focus on my MCAT and applications, which unfortunately will be very difficult to balance with this scholarship which is a year long abroad program. I'm incredibly disappointed with this, but as the days go on I'm not seeing a practical answer. Could I use this in my challenge essay for med school? I feel like it would let adcoms know that I was capable of getting this prestigious fellowship, but also wise enough to reject it in the face of bigger goals. I could talk about dealing with indecisiveness and regret, and the (hopefully) positive outcome received in the form of a high mcat. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the opportunity instead of turning it down like others have said. You will only be more mature in a year, and your experiences (depending on what the opportunity is) could help you become a better medical student and Doctor, which would be reflected in your apps and essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Like your numerous other accounts, every single thread you make is literally about "prestigious" this, or admission committee that, or some variation, but all of it is always the same thing: not focusing on your MCAT.

Here's one thing they are guaranteed not to be impressed by: a low MCAT.

Keep it up.

Making a life decision with the outlook that it can be later used as essay fodder is not good judgement. Make the decision with only your maturity in mind. If you will gain an experience that will teach you new skills, perspective, or anything that will make you a better person - go for it.

In regards to the specific topic for the challenge essay - elective choices as a challenge are a tough sell. A main feature of the essay should focus on how you exited the challenging period with valuable lessons. If you mention you struggled with indecisiveness - how will you show that you are a more prudent decision maker now? A resultant high MCAT may only be viewed as a justification rather than a lesson. You can massage this occurrence to work - but it will take care.

As an aside - you'd be surprised how much your life expands to what you put into it. Pop your head in the Non-Trad forum and you can read stories of single moms juggling post-baccs, EC's, MCAT studying and a career (hyperbole - but it's not far off). Would it be tough to handle both MCAT studying and your scholarship? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

I could throw this right back in your face and ask "why not take the fellowship and simply wait a year?", or "why couldn't you do both?"

My gut reaction is that academic disappointments don't fly very well as answers for this prompt.
Goro... us premeds....we have feelings

Perhaps treat the abroad trip as a "gap year" and go on it? The MCAT will always be there for you to take and study for, whereas this program is (realistically) a once in a lifetime opportunity. Medical schools might even look positively on your decision to go on the program as it is long term opportunity for you to grow and develop.

I would take the opportunity instead of turning it down like others have said. You will only be more mature in a year, and your experiences (depending on what the opportunity is) could help you become a better medical student and Doctor, which would be reflected in your apps and essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm already taking several gap years. While I do understand this is a lifetime opportunity, it's not related to my field and the work isn't what I was looking for (more research and data analysis). The name and connections I would make are what makes me hesitate. However, I can't take another gap year…I'm going to apply next cycle no matter what. Hence, I'm not sure if doing this is worth it if it means sacrificing time for MCAT and other things I could do in the US. I'm only allowed a week's leave through the year-long trip, so that means I would have to come back to the US and take the MCAT during that one week.

Since its Friday, for a moment, I will assume you are not a troll with numerous accounts.

Hence, I'm not sure if doing this is worth it if it means sacrificing time for MCAT and other things I could do in the US.

upload_2016-8-19_13-57-47.png

upload_2016-8-19_13-59-46.png

Everything you do is always the same thing : not studying for the MCAT. From making numerous accounts, to doing this and doing that, thinking it will impress adcoms, but here's the truth: no one will be impressed with a low score. You literally know your own problem, admit to it, and still live in denial. Have you considered that deep inside maybe you don't want to be a doctor, and just look for excuses to avoid it?