Another take on DO vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentges

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MSII DO student at Oklahoma State COM. Contrary to the common belief in these forums, I did not go to OSU-COM because I couldn't get into another(MD) program. I had 36 MCATS (the test where you couldn't make higher than a 13 on the Verbal, April '98) and a Science GPA of 3.7. After my MCAT I got recruiting letters from every Ivy school there is (Boston, Harvard, etc). Big deal. I wanted OSU-COM for a simple reason: I went to the interview and they treated me wonderfully. Not only that, they treated (and still treat) prospective students wonderfully regardless of the individual's academic performance. We always have a 98% + COMLEX pass rate, and EVERYONE who takes the USMLE passes it (usually 45-50% of the class). This makes me think that the training you get at a prestigious school is no better than at my simple little cow college
wink.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just an MSI at OSU-COM, and I chose OSU-COM over Kirksville (a.k.a. "The Mecca") for the very reasons you stated. Given that the out of state tuition at OSU is comparable to the private tuition of K'ville, it was an easy decision. Personally, I think it's the smaller class size (88) that makes the difference-- no one falls through the cracks. OSU doesn't get much press on this site, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing, but I think it's one of the best D.O. schools out there.
smile.gif

take it easy

homonculus

despite your attempt to trash talk....I feel obligated as both an ivy leaguer as well as a native Oklahoman...I feel obligated to call BS on your diatribe.

First I know literally 50 people who went to Harvard undergrad as well as many people who ended up at Harvard med.....their MCAT's (as well as my own) were even higher than yours by several points....and None of them NOT ONE recieved a recruiting letter from harvard...Harvard only sends its info out on request or with secondaries

Second Boston is not an Ivy league school. The Ivy league is an athletic conference that has become synonymous with 1st rate academics...thats why the UC schools, duke and stanford..are not Ivy despite providing a good education...just FYI the Ivy league schools are
Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, and Penn

Third- USMLE pass rates do not equate to good training.....they also do not mean that people did well...only that they scored above 179....95% of people across the nation do that....let me mail you guys 150 gold stars

The primary reason one school is superior to another is the clinical experience of the 3rd and 4th years, as well as its ability to help its students obtain their choice of residency spots Hate to break this to you but St Johns is not exactly the quintesential academic medical center...in fact in my opinion its only #4 in oklahoma behind University hosp, Baptist, and Mercy (all in OKC).and possible st francis (depends on who you talk to)...and yes I have worked at all 4 as an undergrad and met doctors from all 4 who tend to reinforce this idea

fourth- someone at OSU-com will have to endure 4 years of their team being dominated in football by the team down the 'Pike...GO SOONERS!!!!!

finally- schools that provide a good education don't need to sell themselves that much....no one had to brown nose me to convince me that hopkins was a good place to graduate from

the gist of it....while I'm quite aware that OSU-COM is quite able the prepare its grads to become competent community doctors primarily in rural OK (its stated mission) .....don't trip rushing your application to MGH-Neurosurgery to the mail box

Members don't see this ad :)
To MikeS 78
I was not aware that my post was a diatribe
wink.gif
I also don't remember trash talking.

Oh... BTW, reviewing your old posts, you stated on 06-02-2000 that you indeed made a 36 MCAT, same as mine... usually equal is not several points better. My review course consisted of taking one practice exam I found in a book while drinking a six pack (giggle)
I did receive a letter from Harvard inviting me to apply, without asking for it. That may not be equivilant to a 'recruiting' letter, but it will serve. I did not know that Boston University was not an Ivy League school in the formal sense, please excuse my ignorance in this. I should point out some non-fact based statements of your own...
1. OSU students rotate through the Hillcrest HealthCare system , not St. John's.
2. OSU students are well prepared not only for primary care positions but for any medical specialty. We have graduates from this school in neurosurgery, plastics, dermatology, our own excellent opthamology program, etc. Our graduates match quite competitively in both osteopathic and allopathic residencies. Some even go to 'prestigious' places like the Mayo Clinic.
3. Most of the people at our school who do take the USMLE score very high indeed, since these students are generally the top half of the class. Your statement that USMLE pass rates do not correspond to good training is true, but what other objective comparison do we have?
4. I didn't feel like OSU-COM was trying to sell themselves to me. I felt like they cared about me. That's an important thing IMHO.
5. You can get a residency from here as well as from anywhere else. The difference is the KIND, as well as the TIMING, of the work you have to do. If someone goes to a prestigious medical school, they don't have to be the top performer in medical school or to have the top board scores because the prestige of the school they went to can make up, in part, for deficiencies elsewhere. This hypothetical person did, however, have to work his tail off to get into that medical school. Someone from my school who wants a prestigious residency has to play the game (great scores, class rank, recommendations, great elective rotation at the dream program) perfectly to win... but they didn't work as hard to get in here. I certainly concede that method 1 is smarter
wink.gif

I am offended by your implication that OSU doctors are only trained well enough to be 'competent' rural doctors in Oklahoma. Our training prepares us to be able to handle any residency program, anywhere. Our pathology senior professor writes and conducts USMLE board reviews across the nation (Dr. Goljan). Our top students are just as good as the top students anywhere else. Most of us just didn't happen to have OCD bad enough in undergrad to have the grades necessary to make it to Hopkins, Wash U., Harvard etc. How many osteopathic physicians have you rotated with? Can you objectively say that their abilities are far below yours? I'm pretty sure that mine aren't below yours in any way. I must say I would welcome the opportunity to rotate on a service with you... the competition would do me good, especially as you are a Sooner fan
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by gentges (edited 02-07-2001).]

Being on the East coast now, I'm constantly coming in contact with Ivy League students. Good educations but wow... academic snobs. Not all of them by any stretch but all of the do have this complex about ever falling out of the Ivy League path. I don't understand the thought process behind that stance. I guess I'm going to end up being one of those lower crust primary care docs. Heh.