Answering Questions - Recent Neurosurgery Graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey man, thanks for being so candid and helpful.

i know alot has been said about lifestyle, but is it possible to have a social life (ie. go out) any of the years other than the research ones? is it 6 days a week for all 5 of those clinical years? (i know programs must vary quite a bit but is this typical/was yours like this?)

thanks again!

edit: i went back and saw that you said you got at least 1 weekend/month free, traveled, went out with friends, etc. feel free to elaborate more or leave it be..im just interested in knowing if its the same throughout the years or if it eases up in terms of call/hours etc.

also, important question ive been wondering, esp pertinent since you are in private practice:
what kind of cranial work do you do in that 30%? is this mostly sdh emergency stuff at the local hospital or do you do some tumors etc? or do you just refer them all to the closest academic center. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi,congrates :love:
i am final year mbbs student and i love neurosurgery.I heard that getting residency in neurosurgery in USA is considered almost impossible :( Can you plz tell something about the competition i would likely face ? I dont have much info about USMLE and residency in USA.Thanks

Thanks for this thread! I want to know if it is possible to match into Neurosurgery if you attend a primary care oriented medical school that does not have a neurosurgery residency program? I chose my current medical school because of its close proximity to home and the scholarship I was given (full tuition and fees). Also, I wanted to know where I could possibly find a neurosurgeon mentor? Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this thread! I want to know if it is possible to match into Neurosurgery if you attend a primary care oriented medical school that does not have a neurosurgery residency program? I chose my current medical school because of its close proximity to home and the scholarship I was given (full tuition and fees). Also, I wanted to know where I could possibly find a neurosurgeon mentor? Thanks again!!

Though you may not want advice from a fellow medical student. I just wanted to reassure you and say yes it's definitely possible, if you have good board, research, and letters. My medical school doesn't even have a neurosurgery residency yet, and there is a student that matched into a top 10 neurosurgery program. He had all the stats, and made a great impression during his away rotations. Though you may not have an official neurosurgery residency, there is likely an academic neurosurgeon in your school's affiliated hospital, so I would advise in starting there for a mentor.

Though you may not want advice from a fellow medical student. I just wanted to reassure you and say yes it's definitely possible, if you have good board, research, and letters. My medical school doesn't even have a neurosurgery residency yet, and there is a student that matched into a top 10 neurosurgery program. He had all the stats, and made a great impression during his away rotations. Though you may not have an official neurosurgery residency, there is likely an academic neurosurgeon in your school's affiliated hospital, so I would advise in starting there for a mentor.

Thanks man!! I'm definitely going to take this advice and write up a "game plan."

If you already know you want NS, you should certainly go with a medical school that has a department.

What's a "top 10 neurosurgery" program. Please amuse us with your rankings.

you're right I should have just said "top-tier" instead, since a lot of these rankings in neurosurgery is arbitrary word of mouth

but he matched at Stanford

Also just to add to what fishsnack has said, this is under the assumption you are already a medical student. If you aren't in medical school yet, yes it's ideal to go to a place with a neurosurgery residency program, though a major caveat is you might not be interested in neurosurgery after you rotated in it.

Any updates? How is life as a newly (I would still consider 2 years into practice new) minted attending neurosurgeon?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, everyone! I'm currently in my first year of private practice (so, I guess I didn't graduate that recently) and would be happy to answer any questions any residents/med students/pre-meds may have about the specialty/lifestyle/etc during and after residency. I've been browsing these forums for several years, but only recently made an account (last year). I've been meaning to this for a while to give back to the community, so feel free to ask anything.

(I'll probably be going to sleep shortly, but will answer any questions posted tomorrow!)

Last edited:
Happy to answer questions - I'm in the middle of neurosurgery residency...

Hey there, I have a question. Is it a common thing to be able to get a academic neurosurgery job where you have protected time for research (along the lines of 20-30%)? I have a masters degree in bioengineering and want to continue to do computational (not lab based) research in my career and am wondering if this would even be feasible in neurosurgery. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I have a question. Is it a common thing to be able to get a academic neurosurgery job where you have protected time for research (along the lines of 20-30%)? I have a masters degree in bioengineering and want to continue to do computational (not lab based) research in my career and am wondering if this would even be feasible in neurosurgery. Thanks so much!

You can negotiate whatever you want in to your contract. Be prepared to sacrifice income if that is what you want.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes, 20-30% is pretty straightforward in academic setting, especially if you are not going to have your own lab - one thing to keep in mind is that there may be others in your institution with much stronger computational backgrounds, so you may want to think about how as a neurosurgeon you are going to add value to the research - usually this involves contributing something others can't such as intra-operative data in the form of tissue, neurophysiology signals, etc. If you plan to take on a more significant research enterprise, such as running your own lab, etc. you will almost certainly take a financial hit since time not spent in the OR is a financial loss...

Thank you for answering our questions. I'm currently an US-IMG getting ready to apply for residency. I ideally want to do NSG, but due to where I went for school, it just doesn't seem feasible. The past several months I've come across various links about NSG Pre-residency programs, at programs like Boston U, University of Illinois Chicago, Loma Linda, etc. You essentially do two years there and can potentially get your foot into a program that way. However, the sample size of people going this route is very small, primarily due to the new method of this route. What're your thoughts on doing this?

Tagging @tiedyeddog as well to get his input on this method, as well.

It always amazes me the number of IMG interested in Neurosurgery compared to other competitive specialties. I wonder why it is so popular outside of the US.

Thank you for answering our questions. I'm currently an US-IMG getting ready to apply for residency. I ideally want to do NSG, but due to where I went for school, it just doesn't seem feasible. The past several months I've come across various links about NSG Pre-residency programs, at programs like Boston U, University of Illinois Chicago, Loma Linda, etc. You essentially do two years there and can potentially get your foot into a program that way. However, the sample size of people going this route is very small, primarily due to the new method of this route. What're your thoughts on doing this?

Not a sure method of getting a neurosurgery residency spot. Would suck to do all that work and still not get a position.

It always amazes me the number of IMG interested in Neurosurgery compared to other competitive specialties. I wonder why it is so popular outside of the US.

I think it just appears more prevalent because there are less neurosurgery positions available than, say, internal medicine. Further, since there is less of a pathway to get there, they have to ask publicly whereas for IM they can just ask a classmate or colleague who already made the leap. Also $$$.

Reactions: 2 users

I have interacted with some pre-residency fellows in the past and most of them have poor English communication skills and are otherwise not very strong candidates - for some reason, they still want to pursue neurosurgery but it is a very challenging uphill battle and most of them finish their pre-residency fellowships without ever obtaining a neurosurgery position in the US. You also have to realize that these pre-residency positions are typically for junior-level scut work and it is very easy to look bad to the higher-ups in these positions unless you are willing to sacrifice everything for work and stand out in a positive way. The best bet would be to do some meaningful research in neurosurgery (either clinical or basic science) in a neurosurgery department at a reputable program, ace your USMLE exams, and apply via ERAS. Good luck.

I have interacted with some pre-residency fellows in the past and most of them have poor English communication skills and are otherwise not very strong candidates - for some reason, they still want to pursue neurosurgery but it is a very challenging uphill battle and most of them finish their pre-residency fellowships without ever obtaining a neurosurgery position in the US. You also have to realize that these pre-residency positions are typically for junior-level scut work and it is very easy to look bad to the higher-ups in these positions unless you are willing to sacrifice everything for work and stand out in a positive way. The best bet would be to do some meaningful research in neurosurgery (either clinical or basic science) in a neurosurgery department at a reputable program, ace your USMLE exams, and apply via ERAS. Good luck.

Hey! Thank you and @tiedyeddog for your responses, I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry that you had a poor experience with the PRFs. I've looked at the PRF profiles at institutions which offer this program, and I've only seen one true foreign individual, whereas most of the others are US-IMGs and AMGs.

So I spoke to two programs which are currently recruiting, one of them has had 6 PRFs through the past years. 5 of them got residency in other programs, and one of them was given a residency at the program.

Another midwest program said they've had 12 PRFs from the start of the program. 10 went onto becoming accepted into a NSG residency, and 2 were not successful and went onto doing radiology. Should I just take what they say with a grain of salt?

Just another question, and I'll tag @mmmcdowe this time as well. I was doing some research and came across Peripheral Nerve Surgery Fellowship which is being offered to those individuals who have finished a GS residency. I'm currently applying for GS. What're your thoughts on the field? Are they doing the bottom of the barrel procedures that NSG physicians don't care to tackle, since most of the procedures are CTS release, brachial plexus injuries, and etc.

Honestly neurosurgery's hold on peripheral nerve is extremely variable. Ortho, plastics, and other services have a piece of that pie. At my institution almost all peripheral nerve cases, including brachial plexus cases, go to other services except at the VA system.

I would take pre residency fellowship stats with a grain of salt. The definition of a pre residency fellowship is important. Some might simply be research positions with fancy names.

Hey! Thank you and @tiedyeddog for your responses, I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry that you had a poor experience with the PRFs. I've looked at the PRF profiles at institutions which offer this program, and I've only seen one true foreign individual, whereas most of the others are US-IMGs and AMGs.

So I spoke to two programs which are currently recruiting, one of them has had 6 PRFs through the past years. 5 of them got residency in other programs, and one of them was given a residency at the program.

Another midwest program said they've had 12 PRFs from the start of the program. 10 went onto becoming accepted into a NSG residency, and 2 were not successful and went onto doing radiology. Should I just take what they say with a grain of salt?

Just another question, and I'll tag @mmmcdowe this time as well. I was doing some research and came across Peripheral Nerve Surgery Fellowship which is being offered to those individuals who have finished a GS residency. I'm currently applying for GS. What're your thoughts on the field? Are they doing the bottom of the barrel procedures that NSG physicians don't care to tackle, since most of the procedures are CTS release, brachial plexus injuries, and etc.

I would definitely take what these programs say with a grain of salt - I would ask them for names and possibly contact info as the definition of success may mean many things for them. Not saying it's not possible or there aren't any programs that have had success - just my limited experience with those who have participated in these programs.

While peripheral nerve surgery falls under the realm of neurosurgery, there are far more plastic surgeons and orthopedic surgeons treating these conditions. If by GS you mean general surgery, I don't think there's a pathway for peripheral nerve surgery through this route unless you do a plastic surgery fellowship after general surgery, followed by a hand fellowship...GS is certainly a good field (I rotated through it my intern year) but it is much different than neurosurgery. It may make sense to ask the folks in the general surgery forum about this specialty.

Yes, this is net after taxes and malpractice (which is covered by the practice). I am in the South, and although salary does differ from region to region, I have found that the size of the area you practice in generally has a greater impact on salary. That's great that you are interested in academic work and you certainly can tailor your work more in a university setting. Academic centers are in fact the sites that get most of the cool and highly complex brain cases. Certain patient cases at our private practice must be sent to the academic center simply because we do not see enough of them yearly to effectively handle them. You will find that academic salaries are lower than private practice in general, but as a neurosurgeon you should be able to clear well above $250k net even in an academic center (offers are closer to 350-500). Hope this helps

EDIT- Sorry I mistyped. This 750k is gross (after malpractice but before taxes).

I also want have been considering academic NSG. If I want to do a lot of stuff regarding adult and ped. neurotrauma (at a Lvl 1) would I have a problem getting a schedule like you described to the kid in the quote above? Also, I'm assuming I'd have to do a pediatric NSG fellowship?

Hey, everyone! I'm currently in my first year of private practice (so, I guess I didn't graduate that recently) and would be happy to answer any questions any residents/med students/pre-meds may have about the specialty/lifestyle/etc during and after residency. I've been browsing these forums for several years, but only recently made an account (last year). I've been meaning to this for a while to give back to the community, so feel free to ask anything.

(I'll probably be going to sleep shortly, but will answer any questions posted tomorrow!)

Do I have to do research if I work for an academic medical center?

I will be starting medical school next year and was hoping to get some input from you all on what you did or wish you would have done your first year of medical school that did or would have made you more competitive. Thanks in advance!

I will be starting medical school next year and was hoping to get some input from you all on what you did or wish you would have done your first year of medical school that did or would have made you more competitive. Thanks in advance!

Get good grades, plan for and get a high Step 1 score, and get involved in research.

Get good grades, plan for and get a high Step 1 score, and get involved in research.
Is high 240+? Or is 230s with a good CV still reasonable? I know it would be best if my research was in neurosurgery, but would gen surg still be looked at favorably? I plan on eventually doing neurosurg research, but I know I can get my hands in on general surgery research from the beginning.

Also, I took advantage of some Christmas specials and bought FA and Big Robbins. Planning to add pathoma and sketchy. Any other recommendations that you all felt benefitted you for Step 1?

Step 1 Average for NSG was 249 in 2016.
NSG research > GS research > no research

Thanks to all those contributing to this thread. I was wondering if you guys can shed some light on the level of difficulty/stress each year of neurosurgery brings. Which year would you say was the hardest/easiest and was there every a time where you questioned going into this field at all. Thanks!

Thanks to all those contributing to this thread. I was wondering if you guys can shed some light on the level of difficulty/stress each year of neurosurgery brings. Which year would you say was the hardest/easiest and was there every a time where you questioned going into this field at all. Thanks!

Every program is different, and the amount of call and where the elective/research rotations varies. PGY2 and 7 are the toughest. PGY3 and 4 are trying to dust yourself off from the 2 year. PGY5 and 6 you start to feel like you know what you're doing. Then PGY7 comes and you get destroyed again.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like I already know the answer to this question..but thought I'd ask anyway. Is it realistic at all to try and target specific geographic area for residency applications? My SO, soon to be spouse, is matching a year ahead of me; and after living apart for all of med school, it's very important for us to live as close as possible. How receptive would programs be to interviewing a fairly well-rounded applicant, (250-255 step, H/HP preclinical and clinical, slightly below average research, good personality/not weird, no letters yet but all clerkship feedback so far has been outstanding), if their spouse is a resident in the same city? I would also try to do as many aways near her as possible. Thanks.

I feel like I already know the answer to this question..but thought I'd ask anyway. Is it realistic at all to try and target specific geographic area for residency applications? My SO, soon to be spouse, is matching a year ahead of me; and after living apart for all of med school, it's very important for us to live as close as possible. How receptive would programs be to interviewing a fairly well-rounded applicant, (250-255 step, H/HP preclinical and clinical, slightly below average research, good personality/not weird, no letters yet but all clerkship feedback so far has been outstanding), if their spouse is a resident in the same city? I would also try to do as many aways near her as possible. Thanks.
If you aim low you are better poised to do this. That is, if you are an above average applicant for a program, but make it clear that you want to be there for personal reasons, they may jump at the opportunity. That being said, putting numbers in your favor is important. There may be several internal or family medicine programs in the PNW, but there are 2 neurosurgery programs. On the other hand, in New England there are a multitude of programs for both. Look for metro areas that have a large number of programs for both of your areas of interest, and apply with the goal of matching. While you may rank al lthe NYC programs at the top of your list in an attempt to match there, you may well end up in Los Angeles, the Mid West, or Puerto Rico. If it is that important to you to be with her, have a backup plan that is easier to match in to. Finally, do not rank a program that you would not want to be at.

If you aim low you are better poised to do this. That is, if you are an above average applicant for a program, but make it clear that you want to be there for personal reasons, they may jump at the opportunity. That being said, putting numbers in your favor is important. There may be several internal or family medicine programs in the PNW, but there are 2 neurosurgery programs. On the other hand, in New England there are a multitude of programs for both. Look for metro areas that have a large number of programs for both of your areas of interest, and apply with the goal of matching. While you may rank al lthe NYC programs at the top of your list in an attempt to match there, you may well end up in Los Angeles, the Mid West, or Puerto Rico. If it is that important to you to be with her, have a backup plan that is easier to match in to. Finally, do not rank a program that you would not want to be at.

Thanks for sticking around to answer questions, most of the neurosurgery boards are dead unfortunately. Any advice on conferences to attend for medical students (currently in pre-clinical years)? The AANS Annual Meeting is in April but registration alone is $500-600 depending on AANS membership and I don't even see a medical student track. Other conferences I have looked into are also geared towards practicing neurosurgeons with no medical student track.

Thanks for sticking around to answer questions, most of the neurosurgery boards are dead unfortunately. Any advice on conferences to attend for medical students (currently in pre-clinical years)? The AANS Annual Meeting is in April but registration alone is $500-600 depending on AANS membership and I don't even see a medical student track. Other conferences I have looked into are also geared towards practicing neurosurgeons with no medical student track.

Yeah, it seems there isn't much interest in neurosurgery on SDN. What are you looking for in a conference? There really aren't enough medical students interested or applying to neurosurgery to make it fruitful to have a conference specifically for you guys. There are plenty of medical student conferences out there, but I doubt much focus on neurosurgery is applied. In neurosurgery, we have the two major conferences, CNS and AANS, Both of which have some medical student programming. That being said, the focus is for neurosurgeons to learn about what's new in neurosurgery and earn CME, not really medical student related.

For NeuroSurgery residency which is more important...
Hospital with good academic programme but poor hands on (assistance mainly)
OR
Hospital with poor academics but good hands on
.........Please reply

For NS residency which is more important/preferred.....
Hospital with good academic programme but poor hands on(assistance only)
OR
Hospital with poor academics but good hands on. ??

I think it just appears more prevalent because there are less neurosurgery positions available than, say, internal medicine. Further, since there is less of a pathway to get there, they have to ask publicly whereas for IM they can just ask a classmate or colleague who already made the leap. Also $$$.

Talking about the money.

Ive seen Google/Doximity report somewhere along the lines of 400 to 700k per year.

However I also frequently hear that these Neurosurgeons make closer to 1m and many make beyond that.

Is that real?
How often does that happen?
How does it go unreported?

Talking about the money.

Ive seen Google/Doximity report somewhere along the lines of 400 to 700k per year.

However I also frequently hear that these Neurosurgeons make closer to 1m and many make beyond that.

Is that real?
How often does that happen?
How does it go unreported?

Compensation is a complicated thing, and far too variable to easily explain here. The quick facts are it varies widely based on factors such as location, practice model, and how busy you are. Sure, if you are cranking out cases and working resident hours you may be able to crack the upper end of your numbers, after building your referral base for years and convincing through hospitals to give you OR time and having an office and hospital support staff to efficiently manage that sort of practice. Will you do it immediately out of residency? Undoubtedly not. Like anything in life, nothing comes for free.

Compensation is a complicated thing, and far too variable to easily explain here. The quick facts are it varies widely based on factors such as location, practice model, and how busy you are. Sure, if you are cranking out cases and working resident hours you may be able to crack the upper end of your numbers, after building your referral base for years and convincing through hospitals to give you OR time and having an office and hospital support staff to efficiently manage that sort of practice. Will you do it immediately out of residency? Undoubtedly not. Like anything in life, nothing comes for free.

Can you describe your current practice model and compensation?

Compared to any other occupation, physician compensation seems to always be stigmatized.

For NS residency which is more important/preferred.....
Hospital with good academic programme but poor hands on(assistance only)
OR
Hospital with poor academics but good hands on. ??

Depends on your personal preferences. Better to find one in the middle IMO but if you want to be an academic neurosurgeon then the former has a larger volume of success historically but times change

Can you describe your current practice model and compensation?

Compared to any other occupation, physician compensation seems to always be stigmatized.

Physician compensation is very stigmatized. For the most part, I suspect it is because we are fairly well compensated, but are not supposed to go in to it for the money. Thus, when we inquire about money, and/or how much we CAN make, or what we can do to make more, we seem disingenuous to our fiduciary duty to our patients.

That being said, the model here is "eat what you kill." Essentially, for each case done, an associated code is used and a bill for the patient is created. While the nuances of this are complicated (e.g. the current procedural terminology (CPT) code has to be supported with the clinical documentation both with what is done and the indication for it), it essentially is a fee for service system.

Money and prestige only in most cases. Theyre the ones who dont make it
The ones who make it do a 2 to 3 yr research stint and then residency.
Theyre 33-35 by the time they finish residency as most countries have med school right after high school so they enter at 17 to 18 for a 6yr degree.

Physician compensation is very stigmatized. For the most part, I suspect it is because we are fairly well compensated, but are not supposed to go in to it for the money. Thus, when we inquire about money, and/or how much we CAN make, or what we can do to make more, we seem disingenuous to our fiduciary duty to our patients.

That being said, the model here is "eat what you kill." Essentially, for each case done, an associated code is used and a bill for the patient is created. While the nuances of this are complicated (e.g. the current procedural terminology (CPT) code has to be supported with the clinical documentation both with what is done and the indication for it), it essentially is a fee for service system.

Yes. The stigma is significant.

Its just that even a waiter, whos paycheck can vary greatly from day to day, would have some idea as to how much they would be able to make. But for physicians it truly is a black box!

I dont think it sets future graduating residents up for success because they go out into the real world signing for big institutions controlled by business people without truly knowing what they can expect or barter for!

Hi,
I am currently a final year medical student from India. I have worked (moonlighting) in Neurosurgery in India apart from the regular responsibilities I had. I enjoyed the field immensely and found some excellent mentors who further lit my interest and I got the opportunity to do a significant amount of hands on work, as much as a medical student can get I guess. I really want to match into Neurosurgery in the states, because I feel like some opportunities unfortunately still don't exist in India, in research and procedural training, also I prefer the work atmosphere here.

I just wrote my step 1 exam and I scored a 264, which is the beginning of a long road. My question is related to what I must do next in order to be a competitive candidate to match. I plan on writing my step 2 CK in a couple of months and attend electives subsequently. I wanted to know how many months of electives are sufficient to match into a program, where I should apply for them (big research university?/community place?), do I absolutely have to do a year of research before they consider me as a candidate.

Hi,
I am currently a final year medical student from India. I have worked (moonlighting) in Neurosurgery in India apart from the regular responsibilities I had. I enjoyed the field immensely and found some excellent mentors who further lit my interest and I got the opportunity to do a significant amount of hands on work, as much as a medical student can get I guess. I really want to match into Neurosurgery in the states, because I feel like some opportunities unfortunately still don't exist in India, in research and procedural training, also I prefer the work atmosphere here.

I just wrote my step 1 exam and I scored a 264, which is the beginning of a long road. My question is related to what I must do next in order to be a competitive candidate to match. I plan on writing my step 2 CK in a couple of months and attend electives subsequently. I wanted to know how many months of electives are sufficient to match into a program, where I should apply for them (big research university?/community place?), do I absolutely have to do a year of research before they consider me as a candidate.

See, doing electives isnt going to get you a neurosurg residency.
Either change your goal or practice neurosurgery in india if you cant do anything else or do a 3 yr post doc research and you better be from aiims or cmc vellore because PD's are aware of these colleges and your chances increase.

See, doing electives isnt going to get you a neurosurg residency.
Either change your goal or practice neurosurgery in india if you cant do anything else or do a 3 yr post doc research and you better be from aiims or cmc vellore because PD's are aware of these colleges and your chances increase.

Hi Gandalf,

Thank you for responding.
I'm from KMC, Manipal a college which has a decent reputation in the US, since a large majority of our graduates and professor eventually work in settings away from India. I understand the road is long and hard and I am willing to withstand the rigors. I do have some contacts who can help me through this, but I find this forum to put a realistic perspective on things, hence the consult.
I really don't want to live in India anymore, not that the country hasn't been absolutely splendid for me till now. I consider myself a bit of a nomad and want to live and train in other places even after I finish residency in the US.
Could you elaborate on the Post Research Program? What are the requirements? Do I need to be a Green Card Holder?
Can I apply for transitional or prelim surgery, prove my worth and reapply?
Can I take a shot and go for a few electives (2-3) in Neurosurgery, along with some (2-3) in IM, see what the path looks like and apply accordingly.
I know that for some reason people in this profession are obsessed with being obsessed with only one field just when they graduate medical school but does it really make sense to be so narrow? I wouldn't mind switching to IM at the time of applications incase the road to neurosurgery looks impossible. I really believe that I can be happy and challenged with almost any field (exceptions: Preclinical and Pediatrics) as long as I am allowed to sink my teeth into it.

Thanks a Ton,
Hope to Hear Soon!