Anterior Triangle - Board Busters NBDE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rollwithsushi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all --

So in board busters (NBDE I), page 10, the book states that the omotracheal triangle contains the carotid sheath. This really confuses me because all of my notes from head and neck say that the carotid sheath (which includes the IJV, vagus n., and the common carotid artery) is found deep to the sternocleidomastoid muscle in the carotid triangle. Any comments regarding this would be very helpful, thank you!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First, you should understand that something can be deep to another structure and can also be anterior, posterior, superior or inferior to the same structure. These are two different planes of space.

The SCM originates anteriorly (at the medial clavicle) runs superiorly towards the posterior (inserting on the mastoid - a bone behind the ear). Yes the Carotid sheath is deep (as in you'd have to cut through more layers of flesh to dissect to it) to the SCM. But since the Carotid Sheath more or less runs inferior to superior it will cross the SCM at one point. Also, at other points it will be both anterior to the SCM, and posterior to the SCM.

In summary - your notes, and Board Busters are both correct. You should brush up on your definition of superficial and deep.