Anti-vaccine nuts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wait until Polio, H. Flu and some of the more serious ones start to break through the herd immunity. It won't take too many horrific and preventable bacterial meningitis deaths and kids paralyzed from Polio for the gig to be up on this charade and the non-physician celebrities, and celebro-doctor quacks that profit from promoting it with pseudo-science and fear mongering.

Also, I'm sure if a baby under age 1 in a family that does vaccinate, dies from encephalitis from one of these viruses from an anti-vaccer family before they could get the shot, it will not be featured on any of these physician-fraudcasters TV shows.

a) I hope you're correct and that it doesn't take long.

b) I wonder if such a family as you describe could successfully sue the non-vaccinating family?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi - I seem to be running into a lot of these people lately. Is there anything you all are doing to educate patients or people who believe this? If you have a resource or information you are sharing that seems to be effective, please share it with me. These people aren't listening to reason and it's turning into a very concerning situation for children and public health in general. Hopefully the movement will settle down, but I'd like to at least be able to influence a few people. Apparently actual scientific facts and statistics aren't doing much help.

Why we allow this as a society. We don't allow parents to refuse life-saving chemotherapy for children. This is no different. Parents who are unwilling to do this should have their children taken away as they are obviously too stupid/crazy to look after them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi - I seem to be running into a lot of these people lately. Is there anything you all are doing to educate patients or people who believe this? If you have a resource or information you are sharing that seems to be effective, please share it with me. These people aren't listening to reason and it's turning into a very concerning situation for children and public health in general. Hopefully the movement will settle down, but I'd like to at least be able to influence a few people. Apparently actual scientific facts and statistics aren't doing much help.
And KPZ says to parent, with his best Chevy Chase/Ty Webb from Caddy Shack delivery,

"Hey...not to change the subject, but on a brighter note, have you heard of Jonas Salk?...No...hmm...that doesn't surprise me. When you get a minute, maybe consider turning off Dr. Oz, and give some thought to maybe googling [air finger-quotes) 'p o l i o' instead. Heard of it? No....hmm...didn't think so. It's interesting stuff. Might wanna check it out. If that doesn't push any buttons, maybe google 'infantile paralysis,' too. Yeah! That's a F U N one! Give it a 'shot'....Ha! sorry, no pun intended."

Them, "Why?" eyes lighting up, in a panicked Jenny McCarthy kind of way.

"Oh...no reason in particular. Just rainy-day reading," as KPZ rolls eyes and walks away muttering under breath, shaking head.

Last edited:
This might work:

"Hey, this might be a great time to change your mind about this. Have you heard of Jonas Salk?...No...hmm...that doesn't surprise me, but consider turning off Dr. Oz, and give some thought to getting off the autism anti-vaccination fear sites, and google 'polio' instead. If that doesn't set off any alarms, try googling 'infantile paralysis.' Give it a shot...sorry, no pun intended....and let me know whatcha find."

I sincerely like this approach. It's like you're saying "Hey, don't take my world for it, I'm a doctor. See what the internet has to say about these diseases and make up your own mind." By shifting focus from the vaccine to the disease you allow people to see what it is we're worried about.

I sincerely like this approach. It's like you're saying "Hey, don't take my world for it, I'm a doctor. See what the internet has to say about these diseases and make up your own mind." By shifting focus from the vaccine to the disease you allow people to see what it is we're worried about.
Passive aggressiveness put to "meaningful" use!

(Omg, another unintended pun!)

Reactions: 1 users
I want to know who do we go after? Is it religion? Is it Dr. Oz? Is it doomday preppers?
who
Obviously the anti-vaccine people are stupid, and highly susceptible to suggesion (kinda like Khan put worms in their ears) but they aren't the originating source of this madness. Whom do we string up and punish for these crimes against science and humanity?

I want to know who do we go after? Is it religion? Is it Dr. Oz? Is it doomday preppers?
who
Obviously the anti-vaccine people are stupid, and highly susceptible to suggesion (kinda like Khan put worms in their ears) but they aren't the originating source of this madness. Whom do we string up and punish for these crimes against science and humanity?
Licensed physicians who are actively anti-vaccination. Wakefield already lost his license in the UK.

who

I'm not sure that seeking out one particular individual or group is the solution. But if that's the way you want to go, might I suggest senator Rand Paul MD? He said he knows of children who suffered “profound mental disorders” after getting vaccinated, then tried to back peddle and say he's in support of vaccines. It's just this kind of political correctness that gives anti-vaxers the toe hold they need, which leads to measles getting the toe hold it needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure that seeking out one particular individual or group is the solution. But if that's the way you want to go, might I suggest senator Rand Paul MD? He said he knows of children who suffered “profound mental disorders” after getting vaccinated, then tried to back peddle and say he's in support of vaccines. It's just this kind of political correctness that gives anti-vaxers the toe hold they need, which leads to measles getting the toe hold it needs.
I know of children who ate cereal for breakfast then got "very sick." Now I know cereal must cause "very sick."

Just sayin'

;)

Lmao

keep voting republican and you will get more of this ****.

keep voting republican and you will get more of this ****.

Or being a well educated liberal...

As much as I'd love to pin this on one political party of the other, I don't think that can accurately be done. Other than a few quotes taken out of context, or a few fringe members on either side, thankfully neither established political party has supported the anti-vacc movement.

One factor that is relevant however, is our failed (or lack of) border policy which has contributed to this, by allowing unvaccinated carriers to come here unchecked and without having a vaccine series required prior to arrival. As much as the Republicans are trying to hammer Obama on this, neither party has made any real effort to address that, not in Bush's time when he had a Republican Congress, nor when Obama had a Democrat one. The Republicans want a constant stream of cheap labor which keeps wages down helping corporations and Democrats want a constant stream of Hispanic likely-democrat voters. Both parties agree (behind closed doors) that the safest way politically, for the problem to be dealt with is to do nothing, and allow enough to come over until ultimately the jobs dry up which will decrease the numbers coming across the border.

But to pin the blame for anti-vacc hysteria on one political party or the other? It doesn't fly.

Last edited:
One thing I prefer about where I work (one of the poorest, highest crime neighborhoods in the Northeast), is that at least when I have unvaccinated children it has nothing to do with some self righteous, educated but idiotic, parents who have all the means and mind to keep their children safe but refuse to. I see plenty of unvaccinated children but usually when I pull up google images of what can happen when you don't get vaccinated (which is my MO for parents who dont vaccinate their children) they are like "oh he/she gettin shots".

The biggest blame for the anti-vacc hysteria should be put on the outright phenomenal success of vaccinations themselves. When you get to the point where entire diseases are eradicated to the extent people think the risk of getting them is literally zero, then it's no stretch for non-medical person to conclude (completely wrongly) there's no point in taking any risk, no matter how small or uncertain, for diseases that (they think) aren't around anymore,

"If my child's chance of getting autism or some terrible complication from a vaccine is one in a million, I don't want to take even a one in a million chance, to protect from a disease that no longer exists and there's a zero chance of my child getting."

Except the risk of measles and other disease aren't zero as we've seen, and the risk of getting autism from a vaccination isn't one in a million, it is more likely zero. Their false premise works for a while until you build up a critical mass of enough unvaccinated people to allow spread once a carrier comes over to the U.S. from a country where these diseases haven't been eradicated.

Pediatricians and public health officials have been saying, and knew this would happen all along, but a small minority just wasn't going to ever listen until these diseases popped up again.

Like I've already said, just wait until Polio hits. The anti-vaccers will be the first to panic and run to their pediatricians irate and demanding the Polio series, "You never said anything about Polio! Johnny needs the shot, now! But only the gluten-free Mercury-free one!!!!"

Then everyone will get vaccinated, and these diseases will go away again, until a few decades pass by and they're eradicated again. Then someone will decide again, "What's the point in getting shots for diseases that don't exist?" and will come up with some new and imagined vaccine-associated boogeyman to whip up anti-vaccine hysteria and the cycle will repeat.

It's a hell of a lot easier to convince people they need vaccines, when the diseases are out there a little bit, isn't it?

Last edited:
I heard a statistic the other day that the political affiliations of non-vaccinators was about a 60:40 split, so pretty near equipoise.

In my estimation, neither political party is primarily to blame. The real perpetrator here is political correctness. If, instead of responding "well, you have a right to your opinion" people said to anti-vaccers "you are ignorant, and putting others at risk with your ignorance makes you unethical" we'd be in much better shape.

Reactions: 3 users
As much as I'd love to pin this on one political party of the other, I don't think that can accurately be done. Other than a few quotes taken out of context, or a few fringe members on either side, thankfully neither established political party has supported the anti-vacc movement.

One factor that is relevant however, is our failed (or lack of) border policy which has contributed to this, by allowing unvaccinated carriers to come here unchecked and without having a vaccine series required prior to arrival. As much as the Republicans are trying to hammer Obama on this, neither party has made any real effort to address that, not in Bush's time when he had a Republican Congress, nor when Obama had a Democrat one. The Republicans want a constant stream of cheap labor which keeps wages down helping corporations and Democrats want a constant stream of Hispanic likely-democrat voters. Both parties agree (behind closed doors) that the safest way politically, for the problem to be dealt with is to do nothing, and allow enough to come over until ultimately the jobs dry up which will decrease the numbers coming across the border.

But to pin the blame for anti-vacc hysteria on one political party or the other? It doesn't fly.

That's why I added a group