Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScubaV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-2 pathology resident. I didn't know antibiotic regimens that well as a med student and I know less now. Is there a good shorthand or resource to brush up with? I've been going through the Uworld CCS cases and have had a few where I didn't know what antibiotic to use so I just went straight to the big guns like imipenem. The patient wouldn't improve even though cultures eventually came back as sensitive. Obviously, the software is looking for something more specific, but I'm terrible with this crap.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe just have a list for common stuff:

Sinusitis - augmentin
UTI - marobid
Cellulitis - bactrim
Pneumonia - Ceftriaxone + azithromycin
etc...

If you can remember the top 10-20 infection and just ONE regimen that works I think you will be fine. For my CCS you didn't really need to know any specific organisms....you just need to know one typical antibiotic regimen that would treat the infection type. So for a UTI levofloxacin, macrobid, bactrim, or amoxicillin would all probably be acceptable answers. Just memorize one and you should be fine.

I never needed imipenem on any of the practice cases or real deal.