MD Anxiety is unbearable. Great ECs, 3.7 GPA, ?? MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DazeN11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long have you been studying for the MCAT and how much work do you feel you've put in to preparing? Have you executed your study plan? My take on this is that your anxiety has likely interfered with your ability to study. Would you agree with this?

Your resume is excellent and your story is compelling. You can always retake the MCAT after studying up again if it doesn't go well. I would say that because of your history with depression and anxiety, it's worth it to consider taking more time off to fully defeat those issues, retake the MCAT with good preparation and a decent level of calmness (it will help you tremendously to feel confident in your preparation and content with the fact that you gave studying your all), and then apply. I'm personally going through the process of writing many secondary applications and it can be very draining and might not be worth adding on to your plate at this point. These are just my opinions though.

I can't speak for how your relationships with the schools you listed will help you, but I would advise adding more schools to your list if that's affordable for you. It's hard or me to say how a 28 MCAT would factor into your chances at the schools you listed considering other aspects of your application, but at at the schools you listed it looks below the 10th percentile.

At the end of the day, just relax and breathe. You haven't taken the MCAT yet and for all you know you could score 30+. If it happens, you can realistically add many more strong research schools onto your list. If it doesn't, you can always take another year to put together a stronger application that you submit early and a more thought out school list. Overall, you are in very good shape and should be proud of how far you've come. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
X

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you calculated your cGPA and BCPM GPA with your Associate's degree courses included? If so, your ECs are great and your GPA looks good. Your MCAT score is going to determine a lot about which schools you have a shot at.

For your current list, a 28 MCAT will definitely not cut it, you'll want 35+. If you're averaging a 28, you will need more time to study and master the exam. I recommend applying next year, and studying for the MCAT in the fall and taking it in the winter, before the new 2015 exam kicks in.

The rest of your app is excellent, but ideally you want to hit it out of the park in one try, so apply with the strongest possible application. A 28 average is on the low side for any MD school.

You're also going to be late for this cycle if you haven't applied yet.

it might worthwhile to point out the MCAt is changing and the content may be more in your favor -- more sociological components.

X

Last edited:
Hey everybody, so I was told to come back when I got my MCAT back. Well, as expected, I received a 27. I'm going to go ahead and apply this year and don't want to do DO. I am in the disadvantaged applicant pool. So, list advice?
Where's your new list and AMCAS gpa's?

Last edited by a moderator:
X

Last edited:
My GPAs are 3.75 sgpa and 3.73 cGPA. I don't really have a new list, honestly. I will think about this more tonight and get back to you, though!
Only the mission-based MD schools have an MCAT median anywhere near yours. Your state school's 10th% is 29. That means somewhere around a dozen people at Carver have an MCAT around yours.

A 27 is circling the drain. You might have luck with the new MD schools, but skip VaTech and Hofstra.

Hey everybody, so I was told to come back when I got my MCAT back. Well, as expected, I received a 27. I'm going to go ahead and apply this year and don't want to do DO. I am in the disadvantaged applicant pool. So, list advice?