Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think having an M.S. and 6 publications helped?

I don't know if this is meant to be sarcastic or not, but I am going to treat it as if it isn't...YES both of those things helped. The masters probably much less so then having numerous publications. My masters was novel in the sense that many interviewers appreciated the fact that I did not pursue it simply as a means to gain acceptance to medical school, but out of genuine interest in my field of research. This was evident to them by my not taking the MCAT until this past April and this year being the first that I applied. The conclusion I have come to:
1. Novel/important experiences are taken into consideration along with numbers. My verbal score sucked, but many of the schools said that they could obviously see it was a fluke considering my publications/ability to reason scientifically in the real world. I hope this helps you out.

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing all these posts makes me feel a bit more hopeful:)

I had two different 27's (1st V-10 B-9 P-8, 2nd V-9, B-10, P-8) and have been offered 2 interviews: one from Utah, and one from West Virginia...then accepted to both

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Downstate, Wayne State

As you can see, none of these are top schools, but who cares, they're all great programs IMO.

As for secrets, I really couldn't tell you. Some might call me lucky, I have 1 summer of clinical experience and the rest of my AMCAS is stuff I enjoy (fitness hobbies/jobs). IMO, if there was 1 strength to my application, it would be the fact that I was consistent with that 1 fitness aspect. It's what I truly love, and what drove my towards medicine, and I let schools know that in every way possible.

If you really want a secret, it would be to apply early and broadly, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck y'all! You really don't need 30+ to get into medical school, although it would definitely help.

Edit: And Oh yea, play up your strengths as much as possible, not your weaknesses.

Robizzle, just wondering, were you ever questioned on interviews about why you only had 1 summer of clinical experience?

Robizzle, just wondering, were you ever questioned on interviews about why you only had 1 summer of clinical experience?

Great question. I actually expected this question to come up at EVERY interview, but in fact it came up at none. All the interviewers just said "Tell me about your clinical experience."

And after telling them everything I did and all the cool things I saw, I think they were convinced :).

And my recent interviewer at Downstate didn't even ask me about any of that, I guess he already made up his mind about the issue (either good or bad, I do not know yet).

The bottom line is.. my reasons for choosing medicine had very little to do with my volunteering time at the hospital, and I made this very clear on my AMCAS and at my interviews. Some might bash me for this, but working in the hospital was just to see how much I would like working in such an environment -- And I found out I like it very much. Most of the time I was there, I didn't learn much about medical procedures and didn't get to interact with docs as much as I would have wanted. I did shadowing to make up for this though. Some of you might have gotten cool volunteer jobs, but patient transport and bed sheet changer guy is not a title I want to bear for a very long time.

i was complete at NYMC in mid August and recvd the interview invite on 9/14. thanks and GL to u as well!

29 MCAT with over a dozen interviews and over half a dozen acceptances so far. Look at my MD Apps link in my sig for the list.

Good Luck sub 30 MCATers! :thumbup:

26 MCAT

MD programs: 6 schools applied to, 1 interview, 1 waitlist (early october)

DO programs: 4 schools applied to, 3 interviews, 3 acceptances

I applied MD/PhD with a 29M/3.82 cum gpa.

7 interviews: temple, nymc, einstein,drexel,vcu, downstate,suny upstate

1 rejection:vcu
1 waitlist: drexel

I could use an acceptance though.

(i was complete at all schools by mid september)

Do you guys think that someone who got a 22 on the mcat and has 3.4 gpa can get accepted to MD school in the US?

Hey guys...previous two years I applied, I had a 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I had 2 interviews first year and 3 the next. It's completely possible, so don't lose hope.

I got a 29 on my MCAT with an even spread, but a lower GPA ~3.3, I applied early (July-August) and too a broad range of schools

I have solid clinical experience and research. So far I haven't gotten any love, just a lot of "pre-interview hold" nonsense. :(

It is good to hear that it is working out for some. Good Job everyone :thumbup:

wish it was working out for me better. This process is crushing my spirit.

I was interviewed for the 2005-2006 cycle at Medical College of Georgia, Morehouse, Mercer, USUHS, and GA-PCOM (all the schools I applied to) with a 3.57 GPA and 27N MCAT. I was wait-listed at all

This year, I applied E.D. to Mercer University and was accepted. My stats were the sameL 3.57GPA, 27N MCAT. My BCMP GPA was probably around a 3.3 (One C+ in Biochem brought me down).

If you want to know more, pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that someone who got a 22 on the mcat and has 3.4 gpa can get accepted to MD school in the US?

Hate to break it to you, but no - probably more luck with a DO program, but Id say your chances are slim for an MD, considering the fact that probably anyone with a 25 or less has pretty slim chances for an MD.

For the rest of this thread, I have a 29M and received my first acceptance this year to an instate school - so its possible but you have to be strong in EC's/LORs/clinical ex. This was my first year reapp'ing

Hate to break it to you, but no - probably more luck with a DO program, but Id say your chances are slim for an MD, considering the fact that probably anyone with a 25 or less has pretty slim chances for an MD.

For the rest of this thread, I have a 29M and received my first acceptance this year to an instate school - so its possible but you have to be strong in EC's/LORs/clinical ex. This was my first year reapp'ing

Go

Not to be rude, but how is it that you have a 3.9 and a 23 MCAT score?

not to be a dick, but with a 4 in verbal the person either mis-bubbled on the scantron, or can't read english (i.e. english is not there first, nor second language). I know of several students that have gotten in with 24s and 25s (however their scores were a bit more balanced). Don't give up.

if your passion to become a physician is strong enough, adcoms can sense it regardless of what a standardized tests can prove.

If one's passion to become a physician is strong enough, and it is his or her destiny then getting into med school is inevitable.

I cannot give you an honest answer, although I may have misgridded on the verbal section. However, if one's passion to become a physician is strong enough, and it is his or her destiny then getting into med school is inevitable.

u need not reply to anyone...

Hi there, 29 MCAT with <3.5 GPA. I've received 6 MD interviews but was complete WAY BACK. I'm talkin like July/August.

Just wondering...are u a minority? cause that would make lots of sense. Anyways, for you guys there, I had a 29 Q (7V, 11 P, 11B). 3 MD interviews: 2 acceptances, 1 wait list. aside from that, 3 MD rejections (w/o an interview). 1 DO interview (declined, I was already accepted at Madison). Good luck to all.

Maybe a DO school. MD school...mmmm only if you are a minority... (that's an average of less than a 6 persection....a 7 is below the cuttoff for too many schools...). Don't mean to discourage you, but maybe you'll do better the next time u take the MCAT.

Just wondering...are u a minority? cause that would make lots of sense. Anyways, for you guys there, I had a 29 Q (7V, 11 P, 11B). 3 MD interviews: 2 acceptances, 1 wait list. aside from that, 3 MD rejections (w/o an interview). 1 DO interview (declined, I was already accepted at Madison). Good luck to all.

Yeah i'm 1/2 black 1/2 Latino.

Psych, I'm Chinese. Hate to burst your bubble. Looks like it doesn't make too much sense then, does it?

Maybe a DO school. MD school...mmmm only if you are a minority... (that's an average of less than a 6 persection....a 7 is below the cuttoff for too many schools...). Don't mean to discourage you, but maybe you'll do better the next time u take the MCAT.

Isn't a 22 an average of over 7 per section? Did I miss something?

I had a 28 on the August MCAT (first time taking it). I applied to AZCOM, Jefferson and Dartmouth. I am holding acceptances at AZCOM and Jefferson. I just got back from my interview at Dartmouth tonight. Believe me when I say that an MCAT score below "30" is not the be all, end all! PS. I only applied to three schools thinking that my score was too low.

OK, you guys..have hope. To those who continue to ask "are you a minority" only because someone may have lower than average stats and has gotten many interviews...I know someone who got into a US medical school with a 21 MCAT and surprise...he was a caucasian male...I wasn't surprised or shocked because his MCAT was low; he was a great individual who I'd love to have as my doctor. Yes, the MCAT is weighed heavily in admissions but come on you guys, can we please stop thinking that everyone who has gotten acceptances/interviews with lower than average stats is a minority....

28R P8, V9, B11 and 3.4 GPA, Canadian, 3 interviews. Wayne, SUNY upstate, Meharry. AMCAS verified Nov 15 ish.

Keep hope alive:)

29Q, 3.65gpa, traditional 21 yr old, august mcat retaker...asian...i got 10 interview invites so far....however i must admit, no acceptances soo far...all 5 waitlists or holds post interview except for 1 post interview rejection...

I just checked ur md-applicant page. It says u taught Physiology for two years at university. I'm just curious, how is it poosible to teach at age 22? whats the criteria?

Thought I would share good news...just got accepted to another school...VCU!!! Will decline it, but it is another victory for us 28's!!! Good for us!!!

I have a 27R (9V, 8P, 10B) and a 3.9 GPA. I was upset over my MCAT score. I applied only to two MD schools thinking I didn't have a shot and have been accepted to one and have not heard from the other yet. I was complete in November. I think it is very difficult to get looked at with anything below a 30 (a lot of people will disagree, but this is just my opinion). In my case I think my above average GPA helped. Good luck to everyone!

29R, 3.8 overall and science GPA, Applied to 14, Interviewed 2, Accepted 0 (haven't heard back yet), official rejections 2.

28Q. Interview invites at Western, Touro-CA, AZCOM, LMU-DCOM, DMU (all DO schools) and Medical College of Wisconsin (MD). 11V, 8P, 9B. 3.7 gpa, 3.3 science. Accepted at Western and LMU-DCOM. The rest of the interviews are later this month/feb/march.

I would echo the sentiments of others about applying early, especially if you have a 27-29. I took the August MCAT, so I was complete in October. I think I would have had more MD interviews if I had been complete earlier, but that's the way the cookie crumbled.

29Q
V:6
B:13
P:10
GPA 3.61 when applied now 3.66
Interview at IU(i am an indiana resident).
Just got an interview invite from Rosalind Franklin on Jan 17 for Feb 22

one of my postbac classmates just received an interview invite to an md program with a 25 (889breakdown). he has also been accepted to DO programs and is still under review at many others.

27M back in Aug '99. (9V, 9PS, 9BS). About to graduate from Tulane med. I got in after 3 application cycles, but it's all gravy now. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Isn't a 22 an average of over 7 per section? Did I miss something?

Ha ha..funny, I can't do math...interesting how I did so well as a biomedical engineer. Anyways, even an 8 average won't get u into any allopathic school unless you've done something really out of the ordinary or are a minority (or both). Why would they? I'm sure they have tons of better applicants...like I said, it just wont make sense. :cool:

so should those of us with 27-29's re-take the MCAT to try to crack the 30 barrier...my reasoning is..if we didn't get much luck this time around, only a real good experience may change that.

so should those of us with 27-29's re-take the MCAT to try to crack the 30 barrier...my reasoning is..if we didn't get much luck this time around, only a real good experience may change that.

I gat a 27 and got in. I had a very good GPA though. However if you aren't getting any love this cycle and you want to reapply next cycle, I think the best thing to do is retake. A couple more points on the MCAT would make you a more competitive applicant and will help get you looked at more.

When people say they are "complete"; does that mean when AMCAS says they are complete, but before secondaries are sent to them or completed? I know everyone says apply early, but what is considered early enough?

When people say they are "complete"; does that mean when AMCAS says they are complete, but before secondaries are sent to them or completed? I know everyone says apply early, but what is considered early enough?

Verified = When AMCAS says you are complete

Complete at a school = When a school acknowledges they've received your amcas, secondary w/ fee and letters of recc. (the letters of recc are usually the biggest hold up)

I submitted my amcas in July and was verified by mid September (because of transcript issues). Submit as early as you possibly can since there are always things out of your control that can happen. Early might be considered the earliest date you can file and a month or so after...

Good luck

One word of warning...Retaking the MCAT is always a risk. Keep in mind if you're sitting on a 26 or 27 that there are plenty of people who get in with those scores (as I mentioned, I got in to Mercer School of Medicine after three cycles with a 24). If you retake, you could make a lower score.

I know from experience. I took the April MCAT in 2004 and scored a 24. I must've been smoking something because I figured I could retake it in August with very little studying and make better. I did not. I scored a 22. The following summer I studied my tail off (8 hours a day six days a week for six weeks) and made a 27. Anyway, the 22 didn't hurt that bad because 24 was really too low to get in. However, if you've got a 27, that's one of those borderline scores where after one or two cycles you could get in, but if you retake the MCAT and do worse, you may shoot yourself in the foot.

My best advice (which I feel can be universally applied) is know the school's you're applying to. Find out as much about them as you can. Averages are just that...averages. If the school's average MCAT is a 30, then for every 37 you have to assume they possibly accepted a 23 (may be wishful thinking, but sometimes that's what keeps your hope alive). Talk to people who are accepted, who attend, and who have graduated. You always hear miracle stories, but find out if they are normal.

SDN is full of "if I can do it, you can too" stories, but let me give a couple since they're always inspirational.

One girl I graduated with got into Medical College of GA with a 26 MCAT. She had a 4.0 GPA in Biology, however. My best friend got into Mercer School of Medicine with a 24 MCAT. His last two phases (Mercer's basic science curriculum is divided into several six week phases) he scored the highest in his class. Another guy from Mercer got in with a 23 and is currently in residency Yale.

28P. 2nd time applying. 16 interview invites to date. lots of options now...

biggest piece of advice: apply early. i guarantee i would not have gotten some of the interviews i did had i waited.

good luck good luck!

28P. 2nd time applying. 16 interview invites to date. lots of options now...

biggest piece of advice: apply early. i guarantee i would not have gotten some of the interviews i did had i waited.

good luck good luck!

MT4life:

Do you mind sharing which schools and how early? Looks like I'll be reapplying again. I have a 29N (I know my writing score sucks...i knew I blew it when I wrote the 2nd essay) and a 3.6 gpa (overall and science). I did not apply early and have had no luck!

I applied with a 30P & 3.9 GPA and have gotten resembling results..not what I expected. I applied late due to taking August MCAT...I guess it really does make a HUGE difference.