Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not being sensitive but it's kinda an invasive question.

You don't have to compare your race to another to gage your chances. What does it matter if you're URM? The school I was accepted to actually stated that race isn't a factor in admission. So it wouldn't matter if I'm URM or not.
LOL Do you really believe a school would tell you at interview day that race is a factor? I do understand why some people asked if people who are accepted are URM because it paints a better picture for them. For example (pulled from AMCAS graphs), if I had my exact stats but was AA I would have an 80+% chance of being accepted somewhere, but being a white male I have only 45% chance. Luckily I'm part of that 45 :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry, but ethnicity is going to be a factor. You can't deny the stats. Anyway, asking someone if they're a URM is not the same as "discrediting" their accomplishments, that's a little dramatic. I've asked before and it's just to gauge my chances and maybe give myself some hope.

fyi…..go read some mission statements. There are schools that specifically state that race is not a factor. Its a common myth that race alone will get you into medical school anyways.

All I'm saying is that asking someone if they're URM after they're excited about their accomplishments is the same as discrediting what they've done to deserve their II or acceptance.
fyi…..go read some mission statements. There are schools that specifically state that race is not a factor. Its a common myth that race alone will get you into medical school anyways.

All I'm saying is that asking someone if they're URM after they're excited about their accomplishments is the same as discrediting what they've done to deserve their II or acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
If a particular applicant feels strongly that race ought not be a factor in their application, they can opt to not disclose their race (obviously SES and any obstacles they may have overcome would still be on the application). There was a discussion this year on one of the school-specific threads where an URM applicant chose to not disclose his/her race because s/he wanted to know that any interviews or acceptances were not race based. Until more students opt for this route, however, the amount of influence that an applicant's race carries at various schools will be a mystery.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Listen I think I should make clear I was not implying that being URM was the only reason ppl got in. I am certain many ppl who have lower grades and mcats than average come from disadvantaged backgrounds or have unique circumstances. But there is no denying the whole URM is not a factor, and I am well aware that there are schools that don't consider minority status, just as their are schools that are well known for considering minority status. Congrats to those who got in and I am sure they worked hard to do so, I had no intention of diminishing their accomplishment.

It's all relative to whether or not it is an important aspect/component of who you personally were. I know people who are URM (African American, Native American) with fantastic stats who still didn't get into any schools despite their "advantage." These were the few who also pretty much grew up very upper middle class, and were very removed from their "cultural roots," slash had no interest in serving the people they "supposedly represent." Checking it off doesn't automatically give you an advantage if nowhere in your application reflects an interest in serving the historically underserved, and fibbing your way to say that you do after no past/previous experience/trends working with such communities to suggest otherwise would end the same way. I'm not denying that it's a component that admissions people look at, and it may give one person an edge if it's relevant. Many people have also PM'd me asking me "wow, which schools should I apply to? I'm Vietnamese too and want to know where I would be considered URM," which reflects a general misunderstanding and misguided perspective on how admissions folk actually view this component of the application.

From my understanding, many URMs have had people straight out saying to them "Wow, you have so many acceptances/IIs! Is it because you're a URM?" aren't being overly sensitive when they respond that they feel uncomfortable with responding to such a question. From being around several of my friends, many of them share experiences where people were actually straight-up hostile and went out their way to invalidate said person's hard work (as if they did not rightfully earn their spot). Case in point, a large majority of the folks I do know who are considered URM/minorities at my school have been asked things along the lines of, "Wow, you got into X (fantastic school like an ivy league) for undergrad? Was it for a sports scholarship or something?" or "Well, duh, it's because you're a minority."

Microaggressions and microinvalidations over time lead to perceived defensive comments whenever anyone gets on the topic of race as a significant factor for a reason, even if it's innocently asked/expected on a forum like SDN :p. You're all not in the wrong to want to know to see if there's something incredibly lacking in your own applications as you don't build yourself up with a false sense of hope, but there's probably a more tactful way (practice that cultural competency!) of asking the question/approaching the topic. Then everyone's happy :D

Reactions: 5 users
Listen I think I should make clear I was not implying that being URM was the only reason ppl got in. I am certain many ppl who have lower grades and mcats than average come from disadvantaged backgrounds or have unique circumstances. But there is no denying the whole URM is not a factor, and I am well aware that there are schools that don't consider minority status, just as their are schools that are well known for considering minority status. Congrats to those who got in and I am sure they worked hard to do so, I had no intention of diminishing their accomplishment.

I am an ORM who applied disadvantaged. I don't really feel like it has helped my app cycle... all my interviews have been at schools where my LizzyM score (72) is at or above the matriculant average.

Applying with a sub 30 score is a waste of time and money. You guys all got really lucky!

It's all relative to whether or not it is an important aspect/component of who you personally were. I know people who are URM (African American, Native American) with fantastic stats who still didn't get into any schools despite their "advantage." These were the few who also pretty much grew up very upper middle class, and were very removed from their "cultural roots," slash had no interest in serving the people they "supposedly represent." Checking it off doesn't automatically give you an advantage if nowhere in your application reflects an interest in serving the historically underserved, and fibbing your way to say that you do after no past/previous experience/trends working with such communities to suggest otherwise would end the same way. I'm not denying that it's a component that admissions people look at, and it may give one person an edge if it's relevant. Many people have also PM'd me asking me "wow, which schools should I apply to? I'm Vietnamese too and want to know where I would be considered URM," which reflects a general misunderstanding and misguided perspective on how admissions folk actually view this component of the application.

From my understanding, many URMs have had people straight out saying to them "Wow, you have so many acceptances/IIs! Is it because you're a URM?" aren't being overly sensitive when they respond that they feel uncomfortable with responding to such a question. From being around several of my friends, many of them share experiences where people were actually straight-up hostile and went out their way to invalidate said person's hard work (as if they did not rightfully earn their spot). Case in point, a large majority of the folks I do know who are considered URM/minorities at my school have been asked things along the lines of, "Wow, you got into X (fantastic school like an ivy league) for undergrad? Was it for a sports scholarship or something?" or "Well, duh, it's because you're a minority."

Microaggressions and microinvalidations over time lead to perceived defensive comments whenever anyone gets on the topic of race as a significant factor for a reason, even if it's innocently asked/expected on a forum like SDN :p. You're all not in the wrong to want to know to see if there's something incredibly lacking in your own applications as you don't build yourself up with a false sense of hope, but there's probably a more tactful way (practice that cultural competency!) of asking the question/approaching the topic. Then everyone's happy :D

I understand full well that simply marking yourself a particular race doesn't imply a guranteed acceptance. as you stated the application needs to reflect a concerted effort to address the issue of being underserved. You have excellent points my friend, and I guess it goes to show I still have more maturing to go as an individual.

So im URM, 28 mcat 10 verbal 10 bio 8 physical
3.8 GPA/3.65 science GPA
Submitted all my secondaries september 10th and havent heard back from anywhere. Aside from like 3 status updates that say "review complete" I havent received any invites or been rejected. Im just sitting here, vegetating.

I'm a non URM and have 3 MD acceptances so far and waiting to hear back from 2 other interviews with a 29 MCAT! it is possible

Reactions: 1 user
I have to ask, are most ppl on this thread URM? Because my stats are higher than many here and not even an interview invite. Yet we have ppl with avg gpas and mcat getting acceptances. Not trying to be insensitive but just trying to get a better picture is all.

I'm a non-URM, pretty traditional applicant (one year off after undergrad).

Applying with a sub 30 score is a waste of time and money. You guys all got really lucky!
if you apply early and to a broad range of schools and have good GPA and extracurriculars it isn't luck so I disagree

Reactions: 2 users

I agree with many of JennyFishy's points.

I personally believe that race/ethnicity status is indeed a factor in admissions. I also believe it's a good thing that schools are making efforts to promote diversity in schools, even if some approaches may be more flawed than others.

Regardless of the merits of the systems in place, however, I strongly believe in JennyFishy's last comment. And that is, there is a way to go about asking a person about their URM status. In reading some of the responses on this thread, it really did sound like some well-meaning individuals were implying that those who were more successful this cycle may have been because they were URM. For example, when an inquiry about someone's URM status is bundled with remarks about how others have been getting in with lower stats, it implies that one's race is the compensatory factor and that would offend me too! It ignores other aspects of a person's app and it unfairly distills their success to URM status. After being on SDN for so long, I've learned to disclose my minority-but-not-URM status on whenever I talk about my application experiences because not knowing still makes some people anxious. That's my personal choice. I think it's safe to assume that others will share their status if they feel comfortable doing so as well.

Another poster asked someone what their "hook" was, and I think that gets to the heart of a successful application far better than URM status ever will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can easily understand why you would want to know if the applicant is URM. That being said, the problem comes into play with the number of people who think acceptances come to applicants with lower stats just because they are URM. I know that for me, I put a lot of effort into my application. Because my stats aren't excellent, I played on personal experiences and tried to show the kind of person I am. I think stats are important, but making your application distinct helps a lot, whether you are URM or not. The simple fact is, there are plenty of people applying with the same stats as other applicants, whether you are URM or not.

This guy is obviously trolling, but incase anybody mistakenly reads your infectious propaganda they should know that many schools have an average MCAT of ~30 and therefore accept quite a few students with 27-29 MCATs

I'm assuming this thread is here to help each other out in getting an honest and accurate picture of our own chances. At least that's why I am here. I try to find people who are in my shoes(this includes: non-URM status, no publications, same MCAT, similar gpa) to get an idea of what schools to aim for, never to discredit anyone's accomplishments.

Same here. I don't know your GPA, but I think I remember us having the same mcat. I'm also non-URM, no pubs, etc.....I'm rooting for you this cycle!!! :)

I am non-URM with a 3.9 GPA and unbalanced 27 MCAT. I don't have any special circumstances or stories. I even regrettably applied rather late. I currently have 3 II's.

Reactions: 2 users
I am non-URM with a 3.9 GPA and unbalanced 27 MCAT. I don't have any special circumstances or stories. I even regrettably applied rather late. I currently have 3 II's.
I think you will get more, I had same score, unbalanced mcat and gpa as you :)

The stories I'm reading on this thread are frustrating... I have a 3.99 sGPA and 3.9 cGPA/34 mcat, good ec/volunteering and I don't get nearly the attention that many of you <30ers are getting. I submitted as early as possible and did my secondaries in August. 1 interview (at UW Madison, still waiting on rejection/acceptance), and another interview at Oakland in January. Other than that, 4 pre-interview rejections from many of the schools that I see many of you have been accepted to (Dartmouth, Penn State, etc.) I'm thankful to have gotten any interviews at all, but you all must have some really special ec's/letters. Either way I'm routing for you!

29/3.94 thanks dude! No II yet.. Trying to stay sane somehow. I'm rooting for you as well! Hope we both get in :)
yep - 29/3.89. One II.....still waiting to hear back. I feel really good about my LORs and I'm a nontraditional with a somewhat unique story, so I'm hoping that helps. Honestly, if I don't get in this cycle, I think it'll be more due to my weak ECs than my mcat. My state school doesn't have a super high mcat average, though the 8 in PS may come back to bite me in the butt.

The stories I'm reading on this thread are frustrating... I have a 3.99 sGPA and 3.9 cGPA/34 mcat, good ec/volunteering and I don't get nearly the attention that many of you <30ers are getting. I submitted as early as possible and did my secondaries in August. 1 interview (at UW Madison, still waiting on rejection/acceptance), and another interview at Oakland in January. Other than that, 4 pre-interview rejections from many of the schools that I see many of you have been accepted to (Dartmouth, Penn State, etc.) I'm thankful to have gotten any interviews at all, but you all must have some really special ec's/letters. Either way I'm routing for you!

No offense but with all that, what do you think would set you apart from everyone else with those stats?

No offense but with all that, what do you think would set you apart from everyone else with those stats?
I'm not suggesting that I am necessarily a particularly special applicant, but I would have thought that my numbers would set me apart from people with scores below 30 and GPA's less than 3.7.

I'm not suggesting that I am necessarily a particularly special applicant, but I would have thought that my numbers would set me apart from people with scores below 30 and GPA's less than 3.7.

Yeah and thats the insane part about this. I have heard form multiple people that its actually possible to look too good for some schools. Sometimes it honestly doesn't make sense at all. Sorry for you having a rough time. Just keep your chin up. Im sure your grades will get you in somewhere. Those are some great ones ;)

I'm sorry to hear that you are not having as good a cycle as you're hoping but as Jabacwocky pointed out, if nothing in your application stands out compared to other people with similar stats, it generally makes your application look weaker (I'm not saying this is the case). And also keep in mind that this is a small pool of people compared to the total number of people applying, and they most likely have great ECs, LORs, and provided compelling and convincing stories about why they want to be a doctor and why they think they will succeed! The best thing to do is try and not get frustrated (which is easier said than done), and figure out what your game plan will be just in case it doesn't work out this cycle, which is not over yet by the way. You clearly have the numbers, so it might just be other things in your app. Good luck!

It may seem a lot of <30s get interviews but when you look at it from the larger statistics and how >50% of all applicants will not get into a single school, those numbers are most likely coming from our number ranges and not the 30+s/3.8+. SDN is a small sample size and does not reflect the thousands who are lurking the panic threads bc of the complete silence. I dunno what others have relative to you, but there is a lot of subjectivity and luck as well that are independent of what our own app packets contain. Yay for a vague sense of transparency!

I'm sorry to hear that you are not having as good a cycle as you're hoping but as Jabacwocky pointed out, if nothing in your application stands out compared to other people with similar stats, it generally makes your application look weaker (I'm not saying this is the case). And also keep in mind that this is a small pool of people compared to the total number of people applying, and they most likely have great ECs, LORs, and provided compelling and convincing stories about why they want to be a doctor and why they think they will succeed! The best thing to do is try and not get frustrated (which is easier said than done), and figure out what your game plan will be just in case it doesn't work out this cycle, which is not over yet by the way. You clearly have the numbers, so it might just be other things in your app. Good luck!
My letters of rec. are: Orgo 1 professor, orgo 2 professor, A&P 2 professor, each of which mentioned that I got the highest score in their class (though I go to what people have been calling a "tier III" university). I also have a letter of rec from a professor at my local medical school, who wrote the letter after I volunteered at their free clinic for two years. Also an orthopedic surgeon I shadowed wrote one. I thought these were good letters/my adviser said they were very strong but I guess I never actually got to see any of them so who knows? Idk I thought that I did everything right in undergrad but since I have at least gotten 2 ii I shouldn't complain

My plan if I don't get in this time around is to apply to do more research at the med school that I live near, as well as train to be an EMT to get more patient contact experience (I only have a few hundred hours of patient-contact volunteer experience, and I see some people on here with thousands of hours! Maybe this is the major limitation of my app?). I will hopefully have a paper published from the undergrad research that I've been doing by the end of spring, so that would help with next year's app as well.

It may seem a lot of <30s get interviews but when you look at it from the larger statistics and how >50% of all applicants will not get into a single school, those numbers are most likely coming from our number ranges and not the 30+s/3.8+. SDN is a small sample size and does not reflect the thousands who are lurking the panic threads bc of the complete silence.

Yeah I really shouldn't be doing any whining, at least I did get to do one interview at a school I'd really like to go to, and I have another lined up which is more than a lot of people can say. I guess I spent the majority of my undergrad thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to get in as long as I kept getting all A's, but since I've joined SDN I now see that it was just blissful ignorance ha.

Yeah I really shouldn't be doing any whining, at least I did get to do one interview at a school I'd really like to go to, and I have another lined up which is more than a lot of people can say. I guess I spent the majority of my undergrad thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to get in as long as I kept getting all A's, but since I've joined SDN I now see that it was just blissful ignorance ha.
Hopefully you find love at uwsmph though. Maybe we will be classmates ;)

My plan if I don't get in this time around is to apply to do more research at the med school that I live near, as well as train to be an EMT to get more patient contact experience (I only have a few hundred hours of patient-contact volunteer experience, and I see some people on here with thousands of hours! Maybe this is the major limitation of my app?).

Once you get high up there(over a hundred) I really don't think the number of hours you volunteer makes any real difference. You could have 10,000 hours of experience but what does that even mean if you didn't learn anything from it. I think thats what admissions really wants to see. They want to see what you personally got out of that experience, not some arbitrary number of hours you spent doing something. Focus on doing things that set you aside from the pack. Pure numbers don't really do that.

Hopefully you find love at uwsmph though. Maybe we will be classmates ;)

I would be honored to have a colleague with such an exceedingly cute avatar. The next few weeks of waiting to hear from them will be long...

Once you get high up there(over a hundred) I really don't think the number of hours you volunteer makes any real difference. You could have 10,000 hours of experience but what does that even mean if you didn't learn anything from it. I think thats what admissions really wants to see. They want to see what you personally got out of that experience, not some arbitrary number of hours you spent doing something. Focus on doing things that set you aside from the pack. Pure numbers don't really do that.

That's the classic question, what the heck do I have to do to stand out?
I volunteered at a hospital, free dental clinic, and at an uninsured clinic doing both prescription assistance and other clerical stuff for 2 years
I did vision screening at pre-schools
shadowed for probably 50 or so hours
volunteered making e-books accessible to the blind
In-vitro Alzheimer's research for the last year
I've been the SI for ochem 1 for 3 semesters (I'll do ochem 2 next semester)
worked in a restaurant for 3 years of undergrad
have done mixed martial arts for 7 years

Sorry to highjack the thread, but what is it exactly that people do that will set them aside from the pack as you put it? Would I better off doing something other than more research/emt?

Sorry to highjack the thread, but what is it exactly that people do that will set them aside from the pack as you put it? Would I better off doing something other than more research/emt?

Again, that is the question. Putting something down on paper as having done it is one thing but talking about how it made an impression on you in your statement is another. If I could give you any advice, I would say google your areas Eye Bank and put in an application for a part time job.

Its all about framing your experiences in light of how they translate to an interest in medicine that can be fostered by a certain program. Thats a mouth full, but mastering that = acceptances

I volunteered at a hospital, free dental clinic, and at an uninsured clinic doing both prescription assistance and other clerical stuff for 2 years

I have a lot of research and a decent amt of clinical experience, but what seemed to come up the most at my interviews were my non-clinical community/leadership experiences. Nothing I've done is particularly unique or groundbreaking, but my reasons for wanting to do them and commitment to them/explanation of how I intend to apply those skills to medicine were what had them scribbling notes down and talking very enthusiastically with me. This is just my experience since idk if I had a better mcat I would have more iis/acceptance than the ones I have now

Its all about framing your experiences in light of how they translate to an interest in medicine that can be fostered by a certain program. Thats a mouth full, but mastering that = acceptances
This.

I have a 27 MCAT with 2 MD ii, one of them already led to an acceptance. I was complete at most schools fairly late (mid October) and I'm not an URM. However, I do have an awesome story and my ECs tie in closely to my life experiences and why I wanna be a doctor. I also maintained a 3.7+ GPA working full time in undergrad.

I honestly didn't expect a single ii, let alone an acceptance but people like me are definitely out there. We just avoid you guys lol

This.

I have a 27 MCAT with 2 MD ii, one of them already led to an acceptance. I was complete at most schools fairly late (mid October) and I'm not an URM. However, I do have an awesome story and my ECs tie in closely to my life experiences and why I wanna be a doctor. I also maintained a 3.7+ GPA working full time in undergrad.

I honestly didn't expect a single ii, let alone an acceptance but people like me are definitely out there. We just avoid you guys lol

Very similar to you. I have a 3.9 and a 27 MCAT. I am not URM and I don't have any special circumstances or stories. I do feel like everything I did prior to applying ties into the person I am and what I could potentially bring to the table as a physician. They weren't all necessarily medically related but each and every experience I enjoyed thoroughly (which is why I stuck with them for several years) and helped me grow as an individual. I was also complete mid to late October and I have 3 MD IIs at the moment.

Very similar to you. I have a 3.9 and a 27 MCAT. I am not URM and I don't have any special circumstances or stories. I do feel like everything I did prior to applying ties into the person I am and what I could potentially bring to the table as a physician. They weren't all necessarily medically related but each and every experience I enjoyed thoroughly (which is why I stuck with them for several years) and helped me grow as an individual. I was also complete mid to late October and I have 3 MD IIs at the moment.
Right on man. :highfive:
I hope you get the school you want.

28 MCAT. Not an URM. Two ii's. Very little shadowing and clinical work. However, I do have a compelling story and a solid 3.8+ GPA. I wasn't complete until early November. I am hopeful at the moment!!!

In my experience, people on here tend to underestimate the importance of the personal statement. I had barely 100 clinical hours (so I don't think that's a major hole in your application as you said before) and an unbalanced MCAT (8 in PS). However, my personal statement was exactly what it sounds like; personal! It is really the only opportunity you have to give the adcom a look into your life, history, and who you are outside the activities and numbers you can list on paper, and I think it is really easy to tell when it's forced or ingenuine (not saying yours is obviously, but it's definitely something to think about because I think a decent amount of people struggle in that aspect of their app). Like everyone else is saying, if you can discuss your hobbies, interests, and ECs in a way that reflects your passion for medicine and how they have changed you as a human being, (I think) you are a more appealing candidate than someone who did more relevant clinical hours, volunteering, tutoring, etc etc because they knew they needed to do it to get into medical school. Just my two cents...I attribute my acceptances in large part to my PS.

I think everybody is making good points but my biggest advice for standing out is about consistency. Take your numbers, EC, recs, your entire application and develop a theme. It will be apparent to adcoms if your writers speak about you in a way that is reflected in your app or not.

So now take that theme and look at which med school it fits best. If you wrote your PS talking about how growing up your senator parents made you appreciate medical reform and thus drove you to do an internship at a government health facility, maybe GW or Georgetown will be receptive.

If instead you were President of the At Risk Youth club and factor that in to your application essays, inner city schools are more likely to give you an ii.

These application themes develop compelling reasons why a certain school should choose you, not simply because you have good numbers and want to help people.

Summary: develop a consistent application theme and make it fit your schools

Reactions: 3 users
So im URM, 28 mcat 10 verbal 10 bio 8 physical
3.8 GPA/3.65 science GPA
Submitted all my secondaries september 10th and havent heard back from anywhere. Aside from like 3 status updates that say "review complete" I havent received any invites or been rejected. Im just sitting here, vegetating.

Florida Schools take a while to review applications , I submitted all throughout the month of September and just heard back last week... (Also URM and similar MCAT), My friend also who has a much higher MCAT (5 points higher) also just got invited 2 weeks ago and she was complete in august... It just takes a while, good luck I'm sure your file is still in review, your stats are sufficient and should get you through the door!

I posted in here a couple months ago, but I've had more interviews and ii's now, so here's to give some of you more hope!

c3.45, s3.55 and 25 MCAT (6p/10v/9b).

3 DO ii's=1 acceptance, 1 rejection, and I cancelled the 3rd one.
2 MD ii's=waiting on a decision for my 1st, 2nd interview scheduled for February at a non-rolling admission school (a top 20 school at that).

Non-URM, non-traditional.

29 MCAT, 3.75+ gap both science and cumulative. Lots of ECs and leadership experience but lower than average clinic shadowing. Good amount of research and won an award at a conference and somewhat of a cool personal statement also URM. Currently, have 5 MD IIs, complete during month of October. There is hopeee!

Edit: Now 6! :)

Last edited:
29 MCAT. Ended the interview season with 5 MD and 1 DO interview. Accepted to DO as of now and waiting for news on the 5 MD schools for February (tx resident so it's different for us).

Just wanted to update everyone here. I've posted here a few times already. I have a 27 MCAT and have been fortunate enough to receive 3 II's. This morning I received my first acceptance. Good luck everyone. I'm rooting for you all here.

Reactions: 10 users
So excited to finally be able to post in this thread!

28 MCAT - 7/11/10
4 MD II, 1 acceptance - first choice!
4 DO II, declined 2, accepted at 3 (MSUCOM doesn't interview)

Diverse but non-URM

Still waiting to hear from 3 MD schools.

I am re-applicant with 1 MD II and 0 acceptances last year. I decided not to re-take my MCAT and instead re-work my PS, essays, and apply to a broader range of schools. Don't overlook the importance of the personal statement! Many of the schools I interviewed at told me how much they enjoyed reading mine.

Congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk