Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people from traditional backgrounds (non-urm, non-military, traditional student) ever get into MD schools with low mcats (27-29)? success stories? This is a really hard barrier for me to overcome and the rest of my application is solid, my gpa is good, i have great ecs, and tell a story though I'm not expecting to be very happy this cycle. I have the added issue of being a CA resident and it just seems like if your state doesn't favor those with lower mcats like Texas (most tex med schools), Arkansas, Louisiana (Louisiana: New orleans and shrevport), Georgia (mercer) etc people with my stats are out of luck. Also, 70% of people who ever take the mcat don't break a 30 and my retake put me in the same range no matter how much I studied. It just seems incredibly harsh to single out so many people and put them in the reject pile for around 2 points difference, even though standardized tests are fundamental to medicine. I'm hoping there's a shimmer of hope for us, especially since many of us worked so hard on other parts of our applications. When I first got my 29 back I was happy because on my first AAMC FL i scored around a 18 and I really gave it my best effort, but now it's just extremely stressful and is really holding me back. I tossed my net at around 40+ MD schools this cycle, prewrote 40+ secondaries, and had them edited. If anyone needs advice or encouragement I'm there for you and will certainly post again if I happen to get into a MD school and even if I don't I'll post what I learn here. I've started prepping for interviews, but the amount of stress this low mcat score has put me under is unbelievable.

Stay strong, be tough. Maybe stats aren't everything, maybe they are. Never know unless I try. This thread has really helped me a bunch reading through it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
+ 1
Traditional, 29 MCAT, from a hard state as well: NY and ORM (Ugh)
It's hard and stressful, but I guess we have to hope for the best and see what happens. Applying to 35ish schools (MD+ DO)
I would suggest you to add DO schools in case you are not planning to retake the MCAT. At least you would save on a year of stress. I know MD is your first choice and it is for me as well, but DO is a very very good option. Just different initials. Rooting for both of us. I am going to start prewriting my secondaries starting tomorrow :).

Good luck :). You have my best wishes. One recommendation I have for you is to apply to every SUNY because a school like upstate or downstate or even stony brook may really show some mercy :). I'm a 29 (9/11/9) and 28 (10/7/11) mcat. What bothered me the most was I prepared so hard for the mcat and the week of it I got the swine flu and was in the ER with a 103F the week of the exam. I still pushed myself to take the exam and I still studied 7-8 hrs a day. When I took the exam the first time I knew I could do better and tightened my gaps in science knowledge for a retake. When I took it the second time I improved in both sci section, but I choked in verbal reasoning (I also managed to get sick again the week of the mcat :( ). Now it's like if I retake again I could easily score around the same, and if I score worse that just kills my chance of getting into a MD school.

You have very good advice about DOs, and I've applied to DOs (mainly those in my state) and started getting secondaries. Nonetheless, I'm still really want a MD school more than anything and although I really want to give DOs the benefit of the doubt it can be a more complicated pathway. We all work so hard to get where we are and deserve the best possible options we can get. It's so hard not to get stressed and worn down by this process and I'm feeling it in every way because I'm so invested in it fiscally (I'm too late to apply for FAP), emotionally, and intellectually. If I don't get into a MD school, I'll probably take the mcat again and reapply, as well as call up the schools and see why I got rejections.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Trust me the thought of not getting into an MD program bothers me every day..... :(
I hope our hard work shines through and gets us in. I will PM you throughout the cycle my friend.

me too. PM me if you have any questions or need any advice or encouragement. I've put a full time job's worth of effort into this process. I put a month 8 hrs a day into secondaries and another month into my personal statement being edited back and forth. :) All of us could really use encouragement throughout this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like this whole URM argument... Do URMs have somewhat of an advantage when applying to med school? Yes... Do veterans (people who were in the military) have somewhat of a advantage when applying to med school? Of course. But you won't see anyone accuse them (veterans) in taking their spots... I guess when things go wrong, lets blame AA or Hispanics.,.
Holy Ghost!

Bump, how's it going for my fellow 27-29s? I'm submitting a bunch of secondaries and hoping for the best. :) How about you guys?

I submitted June 28. Applying with a 29 MCAT so really hoping I can still get some interviews. I feel like the rest of my app is well rounded. Hoping I can get verified soon.

I submitted June 28. Applying with a 29 MCAT so really hoping I can still get some interviews. I feel like the rest of my app is well rounded. Hoping I can get verified soon.
same with me

Applied last cycle. CA Resident. UC Berkeley grad. MCAT: 29Q. GPA:3.68. BCPM GPA: 3.44. Applied only to MD schools, got two interview invites and accepted to one school. :)

Applied last cycle. CA Resident. UC Berkeley grad. MCAT: 29Q. GPA:3.68. BCPM GPA: 3.44. Applied only to MD schools, got two interview invites and accepted to one school. :)

What kind of schools did you apply to mainly? If you don't mind sharing.

question for those with 27-29 mcats: what was the interview season like for you last year? Were you mostly interviewed later in the year bc from what i notice a lot of people are getting earlier invites and they mainly have higher stats?

29 MCAT here. First interview invite today. Don't let an MCAT hold you down

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread similar to this one, but for low GPA? I can't seem to find a thread like that.

Hey guys, if anyone is looking for some hope my experience is a must read.
27 mcat 8,9,10
3.9 gpa from a state school (good, but by no means a great school)
First time applicant
White
Traditional

I was completely devastated by my mcat score last year and really debated even applying to medical schools because I didn't think I would get in anywhere and was quite honestly scared of rejection. Ended up applying extremely late. sent in primary in mid august, did not even return many of the secondaries I recieved because I thought I wouldn't have a chance (so stupid), and just kind of gave up hope. Around January I was invited for an MD interview and later wait listed. Applied to a few DO schools, invited to 3 interviews but attended only 2. Accepted to both.

This summer I actually retook my mcat mostly for my own piece of mind and guess what?! I was taken off the MD wait list and will be starting medical school this august at a school I completely fell in love with and was planning on reapplying to.

The process really is a crap shoot. I've made every possible mistake a person can make when applying to medical school in terms of the application process but was given a chance because of my unique story and (I assume) great interview skills. Don't lose hope because of one bad exam day. Will a 27 keep you out of harvard? Damn right. Will it stop you from gaining acceptance at a medical school in the US? Not unless you let it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sure there will be at least a couple of students who find this post relieving if nothing else. :)

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! Just giving others some hope. I applied last cycle with 28 MCAT 8PS/9VR/11BS and a 3.88 cGPA and 3.85sGPA. I'm a non-URM and only applied MD. My application was well rounded, but it was by no means extraordinary. I was complete at every school by the beginning-ish of August. I ended up getting two IIs (one in November and one in February). I was accepted to one school in December and the other was a wait list. Anyway, the point is all you need is one! And it can definitely be done with a lower MCAT score! Just apply early and broadly.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the encouraging thread. Just got mine back, 27 - got a 7 in PS which was what did me in. I choked on the first section and ran out of time. 11 in verbal and 9 in BS. My GPA is 3.87 and I have fairly extensive ECs. I'm applying to a mix of md and do. I'm working full time now so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to retake the mcat soon since I'm not sure how well I could study. I was averaging 30-32 on my practice tests which is the frustrating thing. I had to study while working and in school the first time and I'm not sure if I'm up for the stress of it all again quite yet. That said I'd really rather not apply twice. I'm a first generation colleges student as well. Any thoughts? Good look to all of you this cycle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow we are practically twins.... 3.85 GPA, 27 MCAT (9/8/10), extensive ECs too, and I was working full time when I took it..... I'm a teacher though so I have the summer off and am retaking in a week exactly. Praying that I don't struggle like I did the first time... all my practice tests are in the 30-31 range as well :)
Nice too know I'm not alone!
I chose not to apply DO though, hope this doesnt kick me in the butt!

3.8 cgpa 3.7 sgpa 29 MCAT

Not URM

Hoping for the best at my state schools. If that doest work out, I will try again and add DO next year

3rd time applicant, 3.79cGPA 3.85sGPA, took the MCAT 3 times with a 25 (can't remember individuals), 29 (11/9/9) then this year a 27 (8/8/11.....:bang: Anyways, applied to 16 MD's, so far 1 II in November. Hoping for this year to be the year!

My first time applying with a 25 I received 1 II and didn't make it off the wait list (submitted to AMCAS in August). Second time applying I received 2 II's but still no bueno (applied in August again because apparently I didn't learn my lesson). This time I submitted my application first day on June 3rd and had all my Letters received the following week, which I think made a world of a difference (remains to be seen).

All of my interviews from the previous years were mid spring since I applied late, so I knew it would be a long shot each time.

Not sure how much of an impact that recent 27 will have, but it most definitely will not help. Staying strong! :xf:

27 MCAT 3.9 GPA. 5 interviews and 4 acceptances !!

This thread helped me a lot when I was feeling pretty hopeless throughout the application cycle. So just hang in there, pray, and good news will come :)

Can I ask what your subsection scores are? I'm worried a lopsided score will keep me out of med school.

If you want to be a doctor, who cares how other people have scored.
I, also, fall into the trap of asking every person and their dog what their #s are.
This is exactly how we should not be.
Numbers do not define a medical school applicant and, therefore, we should not act as if they do!

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to be a doctor, who cares how other people have scored.
I, also, fall into the trap of asking every person and their dog what their #s are.
This is exactly how we should not be.
Numbers do not define a medical school applicant and, therefore, we should not act as if they do!

I didn't feel like numbers defined us until I found SDN to be honest. lol. With every other person on here telling you to don't even bother with a sub-30 score, it's a little disheartening.

This thread has revived my hope!

I didn't feel like numbers defined us until I found SDN to be honest. lol. With every other person on here telling you to don't even bother with a sub-30 score, it's a little disheartening.

This thread has revived my hope!

Sadly I agree. I almost didn't apply because I received a 29 MCAT. But with 4 II already, I'm glad I listened to certain members than others.

I posted in here a couple months ago, but I've had more interviews and ii's now, so here's to give some of you more hope!

c3.45, s3.55 and 25 MCAT (6p/10v/9b).

3 DO ii's=1 acceptance, 1 rejection, and I cancelled the 3rd one.
2 MD ii's=waiting on a decision for my 1st, 2nd interview scheduled for February at a non-rolling admission school (a top 20 school at that).

Non-URM, non-traditional.
Wow that's amazing! What do you think it was that helped you so much? I have 28 MCAT and 3.53 c and science GPAs

GPA 3.8; MCAT 27. Has anyone with similar stats gotten an interview yet? I know it is very early in the interview season, but I can't help but panic/worry about getting an interview :(

GPA 3.8; MCAT 27. Has anyone with similar stats gotten an interview yet? I know it is very early in the interview season, but I can't help but panic/worry about getting an interview :(
Exact Same stats here too. No love yet either :/

So excited to finally be able to post in this thread!

28 MCAT - 7/11/10
4 MD II, 1 acceptance - first choice!
4 DO II, declined 2, accepted at 3 (MSUCOM doesn't interview)

Diverse but non-URM

Still waiting to hear from 3 MD schools.

I am re-applicant with 1 MD II and 0 acceptances last year. I decided not to re-take my MCAT and instead re-work my PS, essays, and apply to a broader range of schools. Don't overlook the importance of the personal statement! Many of the schools I interviewed at told me how much they enjoyed reading mine.
What was your GPA? I have the exact same MCAT score!

If you don't mind, can you share which schools you are applying to?
Ecu, nc state, umd, gw, georgetown, temple, tcmc, vcu, Jeff.... 2 more that im drawing a blank on because im half asleep haha

Wow that's amazing! What do you think it was that helped you so much? I have 28 MCAT and 3.53 c and science GPAs

I think what got me in the door at most places (and most definitely the MD schools I interviewed at) were my EC's. I'm non-traditional, so I've had previous work and volunteer experience up the wa-zoo. Former realtor, former high school tutor, then program director for AVID, then teacher, volunteered in my children's schools extensively, several leadership positions next to department heads of my major program at my UG, and for the past two years, scribing part time at the ER. My unique upbringing, as well as a compelling/interesting PS as well. Lord knows it sure wasn't because of my stats!!

Hey guys! Just giving others some hope. I applied last cycle with 28 MCAT 8PS/9VR/11BS and a 3.88 cGPA and 3.85sGPA. I'm a non-URM and only applied MD. My application was well rounded, but it was by no means extraordinary. I was complete at every school by the beginning-ish of August. I ended up getting two IIs (one in November and one in February). I was accepted to one school in December and the other was a wait list. Anyway, the point is all you need is one! And it can definitely be done with a lower MCAT score! Just apply early and broadly.

How many schools did you apply to?

3.83 27mcat here (7,9,11) hoping schools can see through my ****ty PS score and give me a shot since I did decent on the scores that matter most. Great ECs years working in a hospital and 4+ papers published 2 in major journals 1 first author, really hoping for a shot but I'm still prepping a retake! Where's the hope?!

I'll bite. I have a 29 (11/9/9) and a 3.86. I have four interviews (VCU, WVU, Drexel, and Georgetown). I feel incredibly fortunate to receive one II, let alone four. :love:

29 here too (8/10/11) and 3.85 gpa.... 3 interviews so far (ECU, GW, and UNC)!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'll bite. I have a 29 (11/9/9) and a 3.86. I have four interviews (VCU, WVU, Drexel, and Georgetown). I feel incredibly fortunate to receive one II, let alone four. :love:

29 here too (8/10/11) and 3.85 gpa.... 3 interviews so far (ECU, GW, and UNC)!!!

thats awesome guys! i am a 29 also, hoping for some love

29 here (8,11,10), 3.89 gpa, and two interviews so far (UNMC and Drexel).

My MCAT is in this range, GPA is <3.5, and so far I have nothing but rejections (6 so far) and zero interviews. I am really hoping that there is hope for me. I thought I applied early (submitted all secondaries by end of July and the committee letter from my school went in first week of August) but I think EVERYONE applied early this year. Reading through the school specific threads, looks like there are people getting interviews left and right already, except me. This is quite depressing.

Can anyone comment on the AAMC numbers for 27-29 I know for gpa range 3.7-3.8 it was high 40%s for white applicants last year but maybe someone here has a better or different interpretation of chances in this cohort

Hoping to join the II club soon, too :) Sub 30 MCATer checking in.

Last edited:
28 MCAT and low GPA...have 4 interviews...3 of which are from state schools I'm not a resident of...such a random process!

28 MCAT and low GPA...have 4 interviews...3 of which are from state schools I'm not a resident of...such a random process!
What is your secret? Do you have extraordinary ECs? I have about the same stats but I have nothing but rejections so far.