Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This isn't possible. It would require you to have a gpa over 4.0 which amcas doesn't do.

Why would that be impossible?

29*10 +4.0*10 =69

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a 27 MCAT, 3.78 GPA, and I had 3 II, 1 rejection, and I have 1 MD acceptance, 1 MD waitlist, and I hear back from my third interview next week.

Mostly I'm just glad I never have to retake the MCAT again.

Reactions: 10 users
Wow, your math astounds me. 29*10+4.0*10= 330.

The lizzy m calculation is GPA*10+MCAT -1. If you don't believe me, check this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-lizzym-score-a-good-predictor-for-do-acceptance.667077/. LizzyM herself comments as well.

Most people don't subtract the -1. I'm surprised you could not figure that out. It's just a rough estimate anyhow.

Edit: also, what is your point!? Clearly the OP did not subtract 1 point as many applicants don't bother to anyhow. You knew exactly what the OP meant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I did figure that out and everyone knows that it is a rough estimate. I was just trying to correct the calculation. I didn't think what I said was a big deal that necessitated someone to 1) refute my comment with incorrect math and 2) try to cover it up by stating the obvious.

I actually did not use correct math. I used the correct math to arrive at the LizzyM score presented. It was simply the original version. The -1 addition is relatively new. Wasn't covering up anything, just seemed pointless to point out imo. But whatever

Godawg really meant (4.0*10) + (29*1.0) = 69.

:D :D :D

Let's relax, guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad I can finally join this thread!! 29 MCAT/3.79 GPA (extreme upward trend) and got my 1st II @ my state school. Hoping for the best & more IIs. Congrats to everyone here

First post on SDN, but longtime stalker due to the never ending anxiety that this process is causing....

27 MCAT, ~3.60 gpa. 4 IIs, 3 MD and 1 DO. Interview at my second choice! Still waiting to hear back from 20 schools. REALLY wishing I had applied earlier. AMCAS verified end of August.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone here land an interview at any of the following:
1. Drexel
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Albany
4. Hofstra
5. SUNY Downstate
6. SUNY Stony Brook
7. Albert Einstein
8. Temple

If ya did, major congrats and mind sharing your stats/any advice? Those are my top choices of schools, good luck to all :D!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Drexel
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Albany
4. Hofstra
5. SUNY Downstate
6. SUNY Stony Brook
7. Albert Einstein
8. Temple

If ya did, major congrats and mind sharing your stats/any advice? Those are my top choices of schools, good luck to all :D!

I got an interview at Drexel. 3.88 gpa, 29 mcat (8/11/10). I don't know if it helped me, but I did send in my secondary very quickly after receiving it.

1. Drexel
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Albany
4. Hofstra
5. SUNY Downstate
6. SUNY Stony Brook
7. Albert Einstein
8. Temple

Yup. 1,3-7. 3.5, 29 (10/9/10), we've already spoken so not sure what else I can add

Members don't see this ad :)
For all of those people out there who have a 28, don't give up! I did not think it was possible, but I got into the University of Toledo School of Medicine. There is hope, and I'm white!

Reactions: 3 users
Same here. I scored a 29 on the mcat, had 9 ii so far, and got into Pennsylvania State University last week. It is possible.

4.0, 28....19 silent, 8 rejections (some expected), 1 interview. Mostly complete early August. Now starting down the DO path.....

Applied
4.0, 28....19 silent, 8 rejections (some expected), 1 interview. Mostly complete early August. Now starting down the DO path.....
If MD is your dream don't give up. I applied last cycle, only one MD interview and was rejected. This year I applied the first day AMCAS opened and it made a big difference. Taking a year off was the best thing I did. You can do it. I got the MSAR and only applied to schools withing my mcat score. Toledo was the exception, the average mcat is a 30, I was so suprised I got in, it was a pure miracle from God. I also think a lot of it had to do with the people I interviewed with. I was so lucky.

First post on SDN, but longtime stalker due to the never ending anxiety that this process is causing....

27 MCAT, ~3.60 gpa. 4 IIs, 3 MD and 1 DO. Interview at my second choice! Still waiting to hear back from 20 schools. REALLY wishing I had applied earlier. AMCAS verified end of August.
Congrats!! Are you URM or have any crazy ECs??

Both. My EC experience was very unique and VERY relevant. URM helps, but I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without my current job.

Since my last post I've received two more for a total of 6 II's.

27 mcat score, 3.69 GPA with a 3.73 Sc GPA. Applied to 9 MD schools and 1 DO school:
upstate
downstate
buffalo
stony

Einstein
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
NYCOM (DO)
Meharry

The bolded schools have giving me an II. Still waiting for remaining 4. My first interview will be next week. Kind of late but I haven't lost hope!!

27 mcat score, 3.69 GPA with a 3.73 Sc GPA. Applied to 9 MD schools and 1 DO school:
upstate
downstate
buffalo
stony

Einstein
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
NYCOM (DO)
Meharry

The bolded schools have giving me an II. Still waiting for remaining 4. My first interview will be next week. Kind of late but I haven't lost hope!!
Wow congrats! Did you apply early?

upstate
downstate
buffalo
stony

Einstein
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
NYCOM (DO)
Meharry

URM?

Both. My EC experience was very unique and VERY relevant. URM helps, but I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without my current job.

Since my last post I've received two more for a total of 6 II's.

lol keeping telling yourself that.
URM is the larger reason, the current job may have helped.

Not taking anything away from you, congrats on your acceptance, but understand that URM plays a bigger role than you think it does.

URM?

lol keeping telling yourself that.
URM is the larger reason, the current job may have helped.

Not taking anything away from you, congrats on your acceptance, but understand that URM plays a bigger role than you think it does.

You believe what you want. The URM might give me some MCAT forgiveness, but it will not get me a II.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
27, two acceptances still waiting to hear from 1 other interviews and still waiting to hear from about 10 other schools. July 30 complete. 4 II; one withdraw.

Last edited:
Wow congrats! Did you apply early?

Not really. All my secondaries were submitted around October. Most interviews I have received are scheduled for December, January and February. I just hope I do not get placed on a wait-list.

29mcat, applied to 11 MD schools, got 7 interviews, 1 acceptance and 1 rejection so far!

It is possible :)

Update- 2 acceptances now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
29 mcat, applied to 10 schools, 1 interview, 1 acceptance so far!!!

I was always skeptical of these stories and never thought it could happen to me. But I now believe it is definitely possible!! Never give up :)

Reactions: 8 users
Thought I would keep this thread going since I like seeing other people have any bit of success with a <30 MCAT..

MCAT 29 (9PS 10VR 10BS) gpa around 3.7, BCMP around 3.65 (with all 3.9+ the past 3 semesters)

Applied to 15 schools, one interview (pending outcome) two holds and three rejections so far, nothing from the other 9..

I was relatively late in the cycle (complete throughout September) so I'm hoping that the majority of the schools I haven't heard from just have not reviewed my app yet... Plus, when reviewing my list I noticed that my 3 rejections are all from schools that were a "reach" for me, so I'm staying positive.

4 MD IIs. 1 waitlist, pending last 3 (probably won't hear back till January. Wait is killing me.) All OOS
3 DO IIs/acceptances
1 pre-interview rejection
Applied broadly (34 schools).
Re-app
Not an URM

Just to give an update:

3.73 sGPA
3.72 cGPA
27 MCAT
Submitted 10 secondaries, received 6 II, 2 pre-interview rejections (both from reach schools) and waiting to hear back from 2 schools.

I wonder what a 27-29 MCAT score will be equal to, according to the new 2015 MCAT grading system (474? to 528)....

I wonder what a 27-29 MCAT score will be equal to, according to the new 2015 MCAT grading system (474? to 528)....

I think the most appropriate way is to do the conversion using percentiles.

Based on data from AAMC, I would say a 27 - 29 now is approximately the same as a 500 - 502 on the new MCAT.

Edit: I could be very wrong, the AAMC data is hypothetical. We won't know until the exam has actually been taken and data has been collected.

MCAT: 28
GPA: 3.91

So far, I have 6 II (one of them at a top 20 school), 2 acceptances, 1 wait list, and waiting to hear on the others.

It is possible. I have known a lot of people with >32 MCAT that didn't get interviews or acceptances. Don't give up! MCAT is just one aspect. We are more than our numbers. We are also the sum of our experiences, passions, and ideals. I wish everyone the very best! Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
29mcat, applied to 11 MD schools, got 7 interviews, 1 acceptance and 1 rejection so far!

It is possible :)

For everyone who got interviews, such as the poster above, did you do anything additional after sending in the secondary? Like sending updates, calling the admissions office etc? I haven't heard anything from my schools and I applied broadly to about 40 schools. Been rejected to 18 so far. Any tips?

I know an Asian applicant with a 3.8 and 29 who interviewed and was accepted at 2 schools. He thinks applying early helped.

For everyone who got interviews, such as the poster above, did you do anything additional after sending in the secondary? Like sending updates, calling the admissions office etc? I haven't heard anything from my schools and I applied broadly to about 40 schools. Been rejected to 18 so far. Any tips?
Personally I sent no updates.
I also recommend applying early, I submitted my AMCAS on June 3rd, retook the MCAT in July, and got the scores back in August.

Wow I am glad to see all of the success on here from 27-29 MCAT scores! This just goes to show how the MCAT is only one piece of the puzzle, and there are many other things under an applicant's control that contribute to gaining an acceptance. I know many applicants from my alma mater with sky high GPAs and MCAT scores who are not seeing near the success some of the above posters are! Congratulations to everyone doing well this cycle, especially the "underdogs," and for those not having such great luck, hang in there! The above posters are truly inspirational stories, and if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen!

I applied early. I think that makes quite a difference. I didn't call or update any schools before my interviews. I sent updates to the schools I haven't heard anything from. I decided to do that, because I actually had bigger updates. However, nothing really has come from that yet.

I made sure everything was in as early as possible. Also, I did not send pre-interview updates, but I did email or call to seek clarification Etc.

Jus wanna say you guys give me hope <3

Update! I've been accepted to my state MD program! I was also offered a second MD interview this month but cancelled due to the other acceptance. That makes 1 DO acceptance, 3 DO II (none attended, one doesn't interview) 2 MD II,1attended and 1 MD acceptance. 28 MCAT 3.6-3.8 gpa

4 MD interviews, 3 acceptances, one declined. (many more rejections). Its possible just show them what you did to get here!

8 MD interviews (1 withdrawn due to finances), 1 DO interview. Waiting to hear back from 6 of the interviews, have the other two coming up in Feb. So much anxiety! Still no acceptances/rejections/waitlists.

Update. Accepted to the medical school of my home institute with a possibility of a full tuition waiver along with yearly stipends!! MCAT 27, 3.73 GPA.

Reactions: 11 users
Update. Accepted to the medical school of my home institute with a possibility of a full tuition waiver along with yearly stipends!! MCAT 27, 3.73 GPA.
That is absolutely wonderful! Congrats!

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should retake the MCAT to apply this coming cycle. Of course, I would have to take the new one if I do retake. I scored a balanced 29 on the old one back in December. How did y'all decide against retaking?

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should retake the MCAT to apply this coming cycle. Of course, I would have to take the new one if I do retake. I scored a balanced 29 on the old one back in December. How did y'all decide against retaking?

I'm wondering the same, also have a balanced 29. I think there are three things 1) what's the rest of your application like?, 2) how realistic is it that you'll do better? 3) how many schools can you apply to that are okay with your score?

Doing well on a retake obviously is dependent on how much work you put into it, but I already know that, realistically, I can't improve much with the Phys/Chem section. I think I can do better with bio because I finally finished orgo II and took more upper level bio classes. And I'm good at humanities so hopefully psych/socio could be to my advantage.

But my main reason for potentially retaking is that I have only a few DO schools I can apply to, geographically speaking. Doing well on the retake would open some more doors and the more schools you apply to, the better your chances

I think that you should compare your actual scores to what you were receiving on the practice tests. First time I scored a 27, however my AAMC average was 31-32. So it was a no-brainer for me to retake it and second time around I got a 31. If you feel you can do better, than retake it.

I'm wondering the same, also have a balanced 29. I think there are three things 1) what's the rest of your application like?, 2) how realistic is it that you'll do better? 3) how many schools can you apply to that are okay with your score?

Doing well on a retake obviously is dependent on how much work you put into it, but I already know that, realistically, I can't improve much with the Phys/Chem section. I think I can do better with bio because I finally finished orgo II and took more upper level bio classes. And I'm good at humanities so hopefully psych/socio could be to my advantage.

But my main reason for potentially retaking is that I have only a few DO schools I can apply to, geographically speaking. Doing well on the retake would open some more doors and the more schools you apply to, the better your chances

I remember discussing retaking with the pre-med adviser. She advised against retaking for me (balanced 28). Her reasoning was that you really have to improve if you retake the MCAT. Going from a 28 to 29 is not good enough. Scoring the same or even worse is really bad for your application. She also said that most applicants don't change how they study and do not improve. So, you have to commit to really really uping your score and improving your test taking techniques/study skills.