Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I remember discussing retaking with the pre-med adviser. She advised against retaking for me (balanced 28). Her reasoning was that you really have to improve if you retake the MCAT. Going from a 28 to 29 is not good enough. Scoring the same or even worse is really bad for your application. She also said that most applicants don't change how they study and do not improve. So, you have to commit to really really uping your score and improving your test taking techniques/study skills.

I agree, especially if, like me, you'd be happy to go to a DO school. I'm really on the fence about retaking, because with a 29 I should be able to get in somewhere, while scoring lower or the same would really hurt my chances for any school. Having said that, I already applied this cycle and am sitting on zero ii's... And it's hard to say if it's because I applied very late or had something wrong with my app, or if it's just down to luck. There is no doubt that a good MCAT score helps tremendously and it's something within your control. But easier said than done!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should compare your actual scores to what you were receiving on the practice tests. First time I scored a 27, however my AAMC average was 31-32. So it was a no-brainer for me to retake it and second time around I got a 31. If you feel you can do better, than retake it.

Based on this, I shouldn't retake because I couldn't score past 10 on any of the sections during my practice tests. Maybe once. Probably not.

I'm wondering the same, also have a balanced 29. I think there are three things 1) what's the rest of your application like?, 2) how realistic is it that you'll do better? 3) how many schools can you apply to that are okay with your score?

Doing well on a retake obviously is dependent on how much work you put into it, but I already know that, realistically, I can't improve much with the Phys/Chem section. I think I can do better with bio because I finally finished orgo II and took more upper level bio classes. And I'm good at humanities so hopefully psych/socio could be to my advantage.

But my main reason for potentially retaking is that I have only a few DO schools I can apply to, geographically speaking. Doing well on the retake would open some more doors and the more schools you apply to, the better your chances

My ECs are great. Based on my overall application, I think I have a good shot at LSU New Orleans, my state school. LSU Shreveport so far will only be taking the new MCAT for the 2016 cycle. I honestly have no idea if I can do better or not on this new test. My GPA is below average for med school standards. I did really well in 16 hours of post-bac last semester and am taking another 16 hours this semester. I do want to have more options, though, other than LSU New Orleans. Really to pursue my dreams of becoming a doctor, I should go anywhere I am accepted. IF I had a choice though I would want to stay in the south. But I only have strong ties to Texas, and as a Louisiana resident with average stats that would be a waste of time.

Update: 3.8 and 29. Had 9 II - 3 MD acceptances (VTC, EVMS, RFU), 1 DO acceptance (VCOM). APPLY EARLY AND BROADLY.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all of the interviews and acceptances!! Keep it up!!

Reactions: 1 users
Keep the hope up people!
3.7 gpa, 28 MCAT
MD-8 IIs, 2 acceptances, 3 waitlists, and I am still waiting to hear from 2 schools
I did not apply to DO schools.

I agree with @DrOMG ..."APPLY EARLY AND BROADLY!"

Reactions: 5 users
Keep the hope up people!
3.7 gpa, 28 MCAT
MD-8 IIs, 2 acceptances, 3 waitlists, and I am still waiting to hear from 2 schools AND 1 REJECTION lol...(clearly I cannot count)
I did not apply to DO schools.

I agree with @DrOMG ..."APPLY EARLY AND BROADLY!"

Feeling like I should put mine here as well!

Just an update

sGPA 3.73
cGPA 3.72
MCAT 27
Applied to 15 schools
Sent 10 secondaries
6II- 3 acceptances, 1 WL, 1 rejection and waiting to hear from one school

Stay positive friends! Congrats to all the acceptances <3 I am literally excited for us all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Feeling like I should put mine here as well!

Just an update

sGPA 3.73
cGPA 3.72
Applied to 15 schools
Sent 10 secondaries
6II- 3 acceptances, 1 WL, 1 rejection and waiting to hear from one school

Stay positive friends! Congrats to all the acceptances <3 I am literally excited for us all!
Hey what was your MCAT? And what 3 schools whee you accepted too? if you dont mind.

Update! I've been accepted to my state MD program! I was also offered a second MD interview this month but cancelled due to the other acceptance. That makes 1 DO acceptance, 3 DO II (none attended, one doesn't interview) 2 MD II,1attended and 1 MD acceptance. 28 MCAT 3.6-3.8 gpa
Where did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here have a really unbalanced score (I got a 11/6/10)? Any chance?

I had a balanced score. The fact that it was balanced was a big deciding factor for deciding not to retake the MCAT. I have a friend who got into school with a 7 in verbal. However, he was really worried about and it was a long road.

If you haven't applied yet, I would strongly consider re-taking the MCAT. Your MCAT is already below the MD average, and the 6 will be another determent. I remember some schools, I think Georgetown, specifically mentioned an 8 or 9 minimum for each section. Practicing the verbal and trying to raise that section till its higher would be really beneficial.

Also, of course, there might be some people that got in with a 6. However, I would not apply and expect the same result.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a balanced score. The fact that it was balanced was a big deciding factor for deciding not to retake the MCAT. I have a friend who got into school with a 7 in verbal. However, he was really worried about and it was a long road.

If you haven't applied yet, I would strongly consider re-taking the MCAT. Your MCAT is already below the MD average, and the 6 will be another determent. I remember some schools, I think Georgetown, specifically mentioned an 8 or 9 minimum for each section. Practicing the verbal and trying to raise that section till its higher would be really beneficial.

Also, of course, there might be some people that got in with a 6. However, I would not apply and expect the same result.

What do you mean it was a long road? Did it take extra years of EC's to compensate for the 7 or something?

Looking for as much advice as possible:

In a MAJOR pickle, I got a 28 (8/10/10) PS apparently killed me.. I didn't study a lot, hadn't taken the second half of ochem, kind of rushed it to avoid the new MCAT. I don't know if I should apply with that, or retake. It is literally the one score i didn't want to get because I knew how hard it would be to decide about.. My cgpa is 3.76 and sgpa 3.8, I have good ECs, (school gov, red cross board of directors, leadership position in school volunteer program, school cadaver lab coordinator, run a program to teach youth anatomy, those are a few..) Good shadowing hours, clinical experience, I am a Utah resident. WHAT DO I DO, any suggestions from anyone in similar situations or know someone from a similar situation? PLEASE HELP!

@traviszj apply early, and apply broadly. My breakdown was almost the same as yours (8/9/10) and 3.73 my advice would be to choose wisely during the process.

Out of the 473 Utah residents that applied to the U of Utah, 357 of them got an interview. With your stats, I would say you will get an interview. Apply early and broadly, keep your fingers crossed, and hope for the best.

I should mention that I'm aiming towards MD.. Isn't it annoying how one measly test might stop me from achieving what I want, at least for now.. Guess its my fault

Dont let it stop you!!!

Whenever I get really discouraged I look at this and it gives me a restart.

http://i.imgur.com/JMwJ1.jpg

oh man, I'm currently sitting on a 27 from January that is pretty balanced (everything 8+) and had resolved to take the new MCAT. I'm kind of getting cold feet about restudying and retaking. This thread is not making me want to retake at all...lol

Any advice? I see everyone recommends applying early, what exactly is early?

If I retake my new scores won't be available until June 30th, so I think that would put me in the 2nd batch of AMCAS apps to be transmitted.

When I applied, I started getting together transcript forms and LORs as soon as possible. I submitted the primary the second day it was opened.

For you, you can submit everything and just add 1 school to your list. It will get your primary started and start the verification process. It is going to take time anyway. Then, when your score is out, you can add the rest of the schools you want to apply to.

Good luck with your retake!!!! :D

Last edited:
I think retaking the MCAT involves a lot of personal reflection and thinking about your study skills, time, etc.

Some questions that I would probably reflect on...

1. Why do you think your score was low? Did you cover all the material well? Did you spend enough time covering all the topics? Did you do tons of practice tests? Did you follow your study plan? Were you satisfied with your studying before you took the exam and received your score?
If you can identify "reasons" why you scored low, then they would be easier to change.
2. Did your practice tests scores reflect your test day score? If not, what was the difference? Were you getting 27-29 on the practice tests and got a 27 on the day? Were you getting 33-34 on practice tests and got a 27 on the day?

3. How will you change your study skills to increase your score? If what you did before didn't work, then logic would suggest trying something different. However, it is hard at times to really change your plan.

4. How is the rest of your application? Students who are white, have an MCAT 27-29, and have a GPA 3.8-4 have ~61% acceptance into medical school. Do you have a strong GPA? Unique or strong ECs? Or is the rest of your application just okay?

5. Do you have enough time to dedicate to studying to ensure that you score higher (30+)? If you are in school/work, do you have enough time? Really, do you have enough time? {This is why I decided against a retake. I was in grad school and didn't have time before the next cycle}

6. Do you think you can really increase your score to 30+? I heard that scoring the same is way worse, because adcoms expect improvement. You have to show that your 27 was an error, and it is hard to show that if u score the same.

But.... with that said... 27 is low. At most MD schools you will be below the 10%. You are entering a very competitive process with a score that is very low. With competing against 1000's of students, why should they pick you?? You want to put your best application forth, apply once, and get in.

I love this specific thread, because it is supportive. You see people who have low MCATs getting into medical school. You see their passion and commitment to medicine. It is exciting. However, it is exciting for a reason. People don't expect at times individuals with 27-29 MCAT to do extremely well in their apps. I would say that people who found success might be the exception rather than the rule. But, it definitely is possible...

Summary: If after reflection, you think that you really, really, realistically think that you can increase your score, then do it. You would be in a 10000% better position with a higher MCAT.

That's just my two cents. But, I don't really know anything. :(

Reactions: 2 users
We are the exception and not the rule, but should you choose to apply, be specific about your choices and apply early. When I took the MCAT, I was grateful for my score (heard about folks getting a 15, and I knew that would be me lol). On my school list, I knew which schools screened, and I knew which schools had score minimums prior to sending out secondaries. When I got my 27, I knew it would be an uphill battle, but I had no problem fighting. I received secondaries from every school I applied too (both those who did preliminary review, as well as those who sent them automatically) but I still realized that I needed to develop a reasonable answer as to why my score was so "low" should it come up on an interview day.

I wrote all this to say:
-Apply early!!!!
-Apply broadly (identify your safe, reach and high reach schools)
-Know your personal goal of "why you want to be a doctor?" and find schools that have the same or similar mission
-If given secondaries, respond quickly (pre-write if you can)
-Your personal statement matters! (try to find readers who are not only premeds, but English majors etc who can help with structure and grammar)

Hello! I am a current applicant with a 29 MCAT and a 3.75 gpa (about the same for science gpa). I am currently waitlisted at 3 schools, and sadly no acceptances. Now that the interview period is coming to a close...anyone have any success stories of multiple waitlists followed by at least one acceptance? I'm trying to figure out if I should start thinking about having to reapply since I will probably have to wait until May to hear from any of those three schools...the wait is killing me!

Also congrats to all those with acceptances this cycle!

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time out to give me such an in depth response and your honesty!

I'm definitely leaning towards the retake, I know I can do better, my practices were better and I had next to no sleep the night before....so yeah, I think the main thing I'm worried about is just this new test being so new and daunting :scared:haha. (and figuring out how to actually sleep before the next exam... lol)

You were given really good advice! I wouldn't count on getting much sleep though, the stress will probably keep you up at night again :)

I would say that if you have enough confidence that you can do better, enough time and motivation to study, are not URM, and are set on allopathic schools - go for a retake.

I got a 29 but decided against retaking because this is what my practice test average was, and I'd be happy to go to a DO school. I know that a better score would open more doors but I also thought that a lower or similar score would make things much tougher for me and maybe even close DO doors. And because I was on the fence, I probably wouldn't have enough motivation to put in the necessary work.

So motivation is the key here. Plus, it works to your advantage that the new MCAT has a different scoring system -- if you don't improve by much, it won't be as glaring as if you got, say 27 and then 28. Sure, schools will still compare the old and new scores somehow (percentiles?) but it won't be as reliable as comparing two old mcat scores.

Is two weeks after opening the application process still considered early? I'm taking some classes and wont get the grades back until 2 weeks after it opens, but i plan to get 3 A's which will boost up my GPA a lot. Or is it better to apply the day it opens and then submit my transcript of the new classes/grades, but show them the lower GPA?

Is two weeks after opening the application process still considered early? I'm taking some classes and wont get the grades back until 2 weeks after it opens, but i plan to get 3 A's which will boost up my GPA a lot. Or is it better to apply the day it opens and then submit my transcript of the new classes/grades, but show them the lower GPA?
Yeah as long as you submit your primary in June it's still early in my opinion, I submitted my app about 3 weeks after it opened.

Yeah as long as you submit your primary in June it's still early in my opinion, I submitted my app about 3 weeks after it opened.

alright cool, lots are telling to me send it out on the first day it opens... and a week is two long...

alright cool, lots are telling to me send it out on the first day it opens... and a week is two long...
People are just trying to emphasize the importance of applying early. Applying early truly can be the difference between getting in and re-applying. I think it did wonders for me and I know others can say the same! Once I submitted the last week of June, I was verified mid-July, and I submitted all of my secondaries between then and the 2nd week of August. Aim to submit all of your secondaries before the end of July and you'll be on your way!

27, 3.65c, 3.73s, 4 MD II, one acceptance, one waitlist, one I haven't heard back from yet, one I haven't attended yet. Complete in September (that's when I took the MCAT). Keep up the faith :)

Reactions: 5 users
27, 3.65c, 3.73s, 4 MD II, one acceptance, one waitlist, one I haven't heard back from yet, one I haven't attended yet. Complete in September (that's when I took the MCAT). Keep up the faith :)
Hey do you mind telling us what schools u got II and which one your in? I have similar stats and submitted September too. I got 3 II, but acceptances yet. Thxs

Hey do you mind telling us what schools u got II and which one your in? I have similar stats and submitted September too. I got 3 II, but acceptances yet. Thxs
I'm in at SUNY Downstate, waitlisted at UCSD, waiting from KU, and haven't attended Drexel. Where did you get yours?

Sorry I hope that didn't come across as rude in any way I don't mean it like that, I just was curious since I am not, I don't mean to take away from your success at all!

28 MCAT, URM, Disadvantaged. average ECs
3.69 gpa and around the same science gpa.
applied to about 17 MD schools
5 interviews: 2 acceptanes (one with a generous scholarship offer), 1 rejection, withdrew from one pre interview (had an acceptance at this point), waiting to hear from last interview at my in state school as of now. Was complete at most places early July.I am extremely grateful with how my cycle has turned out.

Where did u apply

Yeah, I had a 27, and I'm attending med school in July.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I had a 27, and I'm attending med school in July.
Congrats!! mind me asking what school? and if you do not mind asking if you were underrepresented? did you by chance take a gap year? I applied this cycle with a 27 got 3 interviews but rejected, waitlist, and havent heard. Looks like I might have t0 take a gap year.

Congrats!! mind me asking what school? and if you do not mind asking if you were underrepresented? did you by chance take a gap year? I applied this cycle with a 27 got 3 interviews but rejected, waitlist, and havent heard. Looks like I might have t0 take a gap year.
Thanks. It's in Texas; no, I'm in my last year of undergrad OOS (tx res though). Yeah, URM.

This thread should be reserved only for those that are not URM. If you are URM and have between 27-29 MCAT statistically speaking you are more than likely going to get into an Allopathic school.

This thread should be reserved only for those that are not URM. If you are URM and have between 27-29 MCAT statistically speaking you are more than likely going to get into an Allopathic school.
1. I know plenty of URM who have 30+ MCATs who have ZERO interviews and will have to reapply.
2. The heavy majority of the URM accepted with these numbers go to HBCU schools that most ORM are not applying to anyway.
3. We've all seen the charts so don't pull them up, there are so few URM anyway I can assure you that they aren't the ones keeping you out of med school.

Most importantly: If it bothers you so much then go start another thread yourself and state in the title that it is for non-URM only, I'd love to see how that goes. Please take your offensive post out of here. This is one of the most positive threads on SDN and it doesn't need this. I'm not addressing this further because I don't want to contribute to the thread being derailed. If you care so much, make a new thread, that is all.

Reactions: 7 users
For those who haven't applied yet, you should still be open to getting advice from previous applicants who were successful. The advice should be considered regardless of if they are URM or not.

If most of us say apply early, you should consider applying early. If there is advice to choose targeted schools who share your personal mission, then consider it. This advice can only benefit you, because with a 27-29 MCAT there will be an uphill battle.

But ehh... What do I know? Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 3 users
Who exactly are YOU to say who and who should not contribute to a thread? This thread has been spewing positivity from BOTH ORMs and URMs. Don't ruin it.

Reactions: 7 users