Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grats on your II!

I got rejected from that school pre-secondary with a 29 MCAT and I am pretty confident that the MCAT is the weakest part of my application.
Sorry dude. There is certainly a lot of luck involved. I won't deny that. Don't let it stress you out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah, it's probably other stuff in your app that didn't align with WVU's mission and didn't make you a "good fit" but still otherwise fine applicant. I doubt MCAT is the deciding factor for WVU, but who knows.

The crazy thing is the Dean told me that I had no red flags...and there was no where I could improve????

Sorry dude. There is certainly a lot of luck involved. I won't deny that. Don't let it stress you out.

Its fine... Im just trying to figure out whats wrong with my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, sometimes it truly is based on fit. Sure your MCAT scores could've been stronger, but if your mission doesn't align with the schools, then you're less likely to receive an II.

29 mcat and have a II from Texas MD school.

The crazy thing is the Dean told me that I had no red flags...and there was no where I could improve????
As @f4reignbeauty said.

"No flags" is misleading. It just means you don't fit with the school, but would otherwise be a fine applicant at some other school. Now I'm not sure what your application is like so I can't judge for myself.

Here is from the website:

"Guided by our mission of transforming lives and eliminating health disparities, the WVU School of Medicine remains at the service of West Virginia and its people."

Have you expressed your desire to address health disparities in your personal statement, or do you have significant experience working with disadvantaged populations?

As @f4reignbeauty said.

"No flags" is misleading. It just means you don't fit with the school, but would otherwise be a fine applicant at some other school. Now I'm not sure what your application is like so I can't judge for myself.

Here is from the website:

"Guided by our mission of transforming lives and eliminating health disparities, the WVU School of Medicine remains at the service of West Virginia and its people."

Have you expressed your desire to address health disparities in your personal statement, or do you have significant experience working with disadvantaged populations?

I definitely addressed health disparities in my personal statement.... I talk about culture differences etc. I did have a significant even where I worked with disadvantaged populations as well, but the only chance I've gotten to talk about it is on secondaries so far. There was hardly any space on the AMCAS primary.

Yea, I guess I dont fit their mission. I dont know.

Reactions: 1 user
Grats on your II!

I got rejected from that school pre-secondary with a 29 MCAT and I am pretty confident that the MCAT is the weakest part of my application.

When I went through this process, it is a complete crapshoot! I could never figure out admissions of some schools! I got rejected pre secondary from a DO school due to prerequisites they said I did not have. Had them for the 20 others I applied to!!! Never had any idea what they were talking about. Got in other places. You will also!

I do agree while there is some sense of formality to this whole process, some of it seems like complete random luck and a giant clusterf*ck. Good friend of mine (VA resident) was wait listed at both EVMS/VCU, got accepted to UVA.

When I went through this process, it is a complete crapshoot! I could never figure out admissions of some schools!

Given that we're 1 month into the application cycle, I figure now's the best time to say it:
Let's show the world that just because you don't get a 30+ doesn't mean you can't be a doctor
~Best of luck all, we got this :D

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely addressed health disparities in my personal statement.... I talk about culture differences etc. I did have a significant even where I worked with disadvantaged populations as well, but the only chance I've gotten to talk about it is on secondaries so far. There was hardly any space on the AMCAS primary.

Yea, I guess I dont fit their mission. I dont know.
Okay, then no. I have no clue. Sorry to hear that bud. : (

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to a late letter of evaluation on my AMCAS, I was complete at a bunch of schools on July 24 - how late or messed up is my application due to this? I feel stupid because I was turning out secondaries as soon as I got them but my letter didn't get uploaded and ergo my applications were not complete until July 24 :/. Is this a big deal? I know Jefferson and Quinnipiac have been sending IIs, by July 24th am I really late in the game/kind of late/won't make a difference? Thanks!

Due to a late letter of evaluation on my AMCAS, I was complete at a bunch of schools on July 24 - how late or messed up is my application due to this? I feel stupid because I was turning out secondaries as soon as I got them but my letter didn't get uploaded and ergo my applications were not complete until July 24 :/. Is this a big deal? I know Jefferson and Quinnipiac have been sending IIs, by July 24th am I really late in the game/kind of late/won't make a difference? Thanks!

It shouldn't be considered late. Just be patient, and don't worry about things that are out of your control!

Good luck.

Rejected from yet another MD school today. 4 Hour standardized test ruins a 6+ year built app.

Last edited:
Rejected from yet another MD school today with a 29 MCAT. Have a 3.77 GPA. 4 Hour standardized test ruins a 6+ year built app.
What school? this is your second right? Dont worry its a long process but its early in the cycle and you still got months!! hang in there

How many schools did y'all apply to? I applied to 40......

Edit: probably only doing secondaries for about 35

Figured I'd chime in here to let you all know that there's still hope! 28 mcat, ORM with 2 MD interview invites so far. Super excited about this but can't get my hopes up too much just yet. Hopefully I'll have some more good news for you guys later into the cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
-

Last edited:
Figured I'd chime in here to let you all know that there's still hope! 28 mcat, ORM with 2 MD interview invites so far. Super excited about this but can't get my hopes up too much just yet. Hopefully I'll have some more good news for you guys later into the cycle.

Do you mind me asking where?? That's so exciting!

What school? this is your second right? Dont worry its a long process but its early in the cycle and you still got months!! hang in there

WVU and Oakland now. Probably going to get rejected from Quinnipac and VCU soon as well. I'm ORM and a nontrad (If you consider being out of school for 3 years nontrad) with a 29 MCAT. Those are all really really really bad for MD admissions apparently.

Probably going to get rejected from Quinnipac and VCU soon as well.
This sounds like you're looking for a pity party. MrTaco92 just said he has a 28 MCAT and ORM with two interviews. It can be done. I understand that you're frustrated but it's way too early in the cycle to feel like that. Just keep your head up and have faith in your application as a whole and I'm sure you'll do great this cycle.

This sounds like you're looking for a pity party. MrTaco92 just said he has a 28 MCAT and ORM with two interviews. It can be done. I understand that you're frustrated but it's way too early in the cycle to feel like that. Just keep your head up and have faith in your application as a whole and I'm sure you'll do great this cycle.

A pity party? Hell no. Im making guesses based on the correspondence I've gotten from those specific schools which is why I named them

Apparently for VCU, I have the lowest status update you can get on their secondary portal that isnt a rejection.

A pity party? Hell no. Im making guesses based on the correspondence I've gotten from those specific schools which is why I named them

Apparently for VCU, I have the lowest status update you can get on their secondary portal that isnt a rejection.

Anyone with a sub 30 mcat score should expect a good amount of rejections to begin with. But were both ORM, were both "nontrad", although I've only been out of school for 1 year, and your mcat is even 1 point greater than mine. Maybe you should contact every school that's rejected you to get more feedback on your application? Or maybe even some of us can look at it to give you more feedback. Also, don't you have DO interview invites? You should at least be content with that.

I have an MD and a DO interview. Nontraditional. 29 MCAT. No rejections yet. Also white male. I'm tired of getting @Gandy741 pity party updates on all my feeds. We are applying to all the same schools. We aren't the cream of the crop but it can be done. Just deal with it and look within. Stop blaming the system.

Reactions: 7 users
I have an MD and a DO interview. Nontraditional. 29 MCAT. No rejections yet.

Nice! Where are you interviewing so far, if you don't mind me asking (or PM-ing me if you'd rather!)

I have an MD and a DO interview. Nontraditional. 29 MCAT. No rejections yet. Also white male. I'm tired of getting @Gandy741 pity party updates on all my feeds. We are applying to all the same schools. We aren't the cream of the crop but it can be done. Just deal with it and look within. Stop blaming the system.
Congrats bro!! What schools?

Congrats!

Dont worry, you wont have to give me a "pity party" for "blaming the system".. Not sure when I blamed the system?

Whatever, no need to turn this into a flame war, even if this is just an anonymous internet forum.

I get what you are trying to say but it is easier to not complain about the system when you have 2 IIs and no rejections. I'd like to believe that people would agree that the system has flaws.

ORM, white, reapplicant, mostly worked my way through college, work with underserved communities, currently working two jobs to help pay for the 4-5k bill that this application cycle may cost me.

~66 Lizzy M 0 IIs 5 rejections

What I dont understand is... why he said "blaming the system". No one has "blamed the system".

I could say plenty of other things as well, but I'd rather not start a flame war in here so I want no part in this.

When I went through this process, it is a complete crapshoot! I could never figure out admissions of some schools! I got rejected pre secondary from a DO school due to prerequisites they said I did not have. Had them for the 20 others I applied to!!! Never had any idea what they were talking about. Got in other places. You will also!

Was it for math? While shopping around for schools I noticed (too little too late) that the prereq was 6 hrs of math (statistics counted) at some places. I took Calculus freshman year and never took math again. Thought that was enough, but apparently not :rolleyes:

This is supposed to be a positive forum. If things have not gone your way, take a step back, reorganize your thoughts (preferably, offline) and come back better than you were.

If things are going your way, great. Don't forget that the uphill battle isn't over, and prepare to beast your interviews (again, preferably offline.)

Reactions: 7 users
yea guys keep your head up!! Last cycle applied really late cause took the september mcats and literally filled out all my secondaries in october (really late especially with a low MCAT score). I rushed my application stuff and my PS wasnt the best but still ended up with 2 IIs at MD schools and waitlisted at one. Now I didnt get in, but took the free time to perfect my PS and application and prewrote most of my secondaries. I am feeling positive this time around and just gotta hope for the best!!! keep your head up

Reactions: 3 users
yea guys keep your head up!! Last cycle applied really late cause took the september mcats and literally filled out all my secondaries in october (really late especially with a low MCAT score). I rushed my application stuff and my PS wasnt the best but still ended up with 2 IIs at MD schools and waitlisted at one. Now I didnt get in, but took the free time to perfect my PS and application and prewrote most of my secondaries. I am feeling positive this time around and just gotta hope for the best!!! keep your head up

Good luck this cycle- mind me asking where you got IIs last year?

Are you an instate west virginian?

I have no ties to the state at all. It seems like a bunch of OOS applicants with no ties to the state are being invited to interview though.

Got my first interview invite last week, and super stoked to join this club.
Got an II for GW
MCAT: 28
OOS

Good Luck to all of you!

Reactions: 5 users
WVU and Oakland now. Probably going to get rejected from Quinnipac and VCU soon as well. I'm ORM and a nontrad (If you consider being out of school for 3 years nontrad) with a 29 MCAT. Those are all really really really bad for MD admissions apparently.
I have a lower MCAT than you, and I had 2 interviews last cycle. Was waitlisted, but am reapplying now and hopeful for a better outcome. It's definitely about more than just the MCAT. If I can do it with my score, anything is possible!

I have a lower MCAT than you, and I had 2 interviews last cycle. Was waitlisted, but am reapplying now and hopeful for a better outcome. It's definitely about more than just the MCAT. If I can do it with my score, anything is possible!

Hope so. I have yet to receive a single MD school II. All I have gotten is rejections from MD schools.

Good luck! Where did you interview last cycle?

Holy **** guys... I have more good news. I just got my third MD II today!

Reactions: 5 users