Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fully agree with @cj_cregg with his post. I like you Gandy, you are really a great guy who I am rooting for, but in all honesty your problems are first world problems. I've seen you post everywhere about how down you are about not having MD invites, but you hold an invite to one of the best DO schools in America. There are people out there that would kill to be interviewing at AZCOM. We get it, you don't have an MD interview yet, and this is an MD thread. But you should be really grateful to be in a position where you can be a licensed physician anyway. I would feel much more empathetic towards you if you had these stats with zero IIs both MD and DO. Good luck bro.

PS. It's August 14th. My roommate got 3 IIS last year with a 28 MCAT. All 3 IIs came in February, prior to that he had 14 rejections. That makes your measly 2 MD rejections sound laughable. Don't trip man.
Hey where did your friend end up going?

Members don't see this ad.

@Gregory House the real MD, He got interviews to UCR, UCD, and The U. He got into all 3 and ultimately chose UCD. And yes, he is ORM. You always hear how its impossible to get into MD with a sub 30, let alone a California school. But it didn't happen to just "some guy I know," it literally happened to my best friend/roommate. (Likewise I modeled my app after his). So that gave me a lot of hope knowing that it can be done. Hopefully it does for you guys too!
thats awesome! yea im a reapplicant but last cycle I applied in october and got 2 IIs with one waitlist, but this cycle I submitted early and now hoping for more love. Got 2 IIs now and hopefully more in the future. It def can be done just depends on how well your application is. Good Luck to you!! we got this :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 9.44.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 9.44.10 PM.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
29 mcat and have 1 MD interview at Oakland!! Submitted secondary 7/6.
3 rejections and waiting to hear back from 19 more MD schools!! I'm confident!! It can be done.

Reactions: 4 users
29 mcat and have 1 MD interview at Oakland!! Submitted secondary 7/6.
3 rejections and waiting to hear back from 19 more MD schools!! I'm confident!! It can be done.
Congrats! No news yet for me from Oakland but I remain optimistic.

Good for you @2015istheYear, that's awesome man. No love from Oakland so far but people after me have gotten rejected so at least that hasn't happened! Glad to see so many people on this thread getting interviews!!
Same here no news yet from Oakland. At least we didn't get rejected right away.

Sorry I posted it in the VCU thread. Let me copy it here.

Response:
Our records indicate that your profile is still under going the preliminary screening, This process normally takes about 6-8 weeks, depending upon how fast the committee can get through reviews. Once the review is complete, you will be notified of your updated status by email. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office or myself.

I have been under review for ~5 weeks. Looks like I could still have 3 more to go until I even get the secondary!! lol

Sorry I posted it in the VCU thread. Let me copy it here.

Response:
Our records indicate that your profile is still under going the preliminary screening, This process normally takes about 6-8 weeks, depending upon how fast the committee can get through reviews. Once the review is complete, you will be notified of your updated status by email. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office or myself.

I have been under review for ~5 weeks. Looks like I could still have 3 more to go until I even get the secondary!! lol
I saw that! Was just wondering what email address you emailed.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is definitely hope! 29 MCAT and just got my first MD II today!

Reactions: 6 users
You guys wanna weigh in on this? My friend just took the MCAT in July and got his score back as 508 total. But he got a 121 on CARS which is ~ 5 VR old scale. I told him he'll be screened out at almost all MD and most DO schools, and it would be best to take a gap year and retake. He wants to apply anyway and "just see what happens". I'm not crazy for telling him not to apply right?

I agree^^^

BUT...devil's advocate...the test being so new I'd imagine hard cut offs don't exist just yet. (Not verified fact, just my thoughts) I'd try and contact a few admissions offices and ask about that, whether or not they are screening with the new test, and if they are- is it based on the OVERALL score or is there a threshold for each section. I think I'd still be inclined to recommend waiting and retaking.

A 508 is pretty good right? He must've killed the other three sections lol

Last edited:
Yeah he got upper 90th percentile on the other sections. He's gonna talk to and admissions officer at our university tomorrow. But I'm just telling him it's too risky! I mean if he came back and killed it next year it would just be better.

Yeah he got upper 90th percentile on the other sections. He's gonna talk to and admissions officer at our university tomorrow. But I'm just telling him it's too risky! I mean if he came back and killed it next year it would just be better.

You can check you my thread I start today. Got some good advice from people. I'm basically in the same boat as your friend, but with a 6 in verbal.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chance-me-pleaseeeeeee.1156702/

EDIT: would also be curious to hear what advice your friend gets from the admin officer, if you could PM me what they say that would be awesome.

I'm confused why it would be risky. If he/she has the finances...applying won't necessarily hurt. Might get lucky.

nice! I'm waiting to finish up a few secondaries then I need to apply for jobs myself...need to pay back all those application fees :eek:
Same here, have a couple more secondaries I want to send out in the next week and then job hunting for me as well.

I'm confused why it would be risky. If he/she has the finances...applying won't necessarily hurt. Might get lucky.

Being a reapplicant is a huge detriment to your application. The second time around you're highly scrutinized (from what I've heard from adcoms). With a subsection that low he would be hard pressed to find an MD or DO school that would take him, so if he applied and didn't get accepted, his next go around could be much much harder.

But sure, anecdotally he could get "lucky". But it's best to apply once, when you have the best app possible. I just don't think he sees that now, and is very caught up in the whole thing. Which is understandable.

I agree^^^

BUT...devil's advocate...the test being so new I'd imagine hard cut offs don't exist just yet. (Not verified fact, just my thoughts) I'd try and contact a few admissions offices and ask about that, whether or not they are screening with the new test, and if they are- is it based on the OVERALL score or is there a threshold for each section. I think I'd still be inclined to recommend waiting and retaking.

A 508 is pretty good right? He must've killed the other three sections lol
I see what you're saying about the not having hard cut-offs thing, but I think this applicant would still have a problem, even if there aren't cut-offs. A 121 puts him in the 14th percentile. No matter how well he did on the other sections, that is still an extremely weak score in CARS. I kind of have a hard time believing many adcoms would be willing to look past that.

I see what you're saying about the not having hard cut-offs thing, but I think this applicant would still have a problem, even if there aren't cut-offs. A 121 puts him in the 14th percentile. No matter how well he did on the other sections, that is still an extremely weak score in CARS. I kind of have a hard time believing many adcoms would be willing to look past that.

Yeah you're right, I guess I thought the score was more borderline, I'm so used to the old scale the number "121" is so non threatening to me haha

I seriously think my low MCAT is the reason my email is getting no love -_- I think my ECs were pretty on point. & that's what's keeping me in the "we can maybe reject/accept them as our last option" pile... :sigh: poopers

Being a reapplicant is a huge detriment to your application. The second time around you're highly scrutinized (from what I've heard from adcoms). With a subsection that low he would be hard pressed to find an MD or DO school that would take him, so if he applied and didn't get accepted, his next go around could be much much harder.

But sure, anecdotally he could get "lucky". But it's best to apply once, when you have the best app possible. I just don't think he sees that now, and is very caught up in the whole thing. Which is understandable.
Wow thats interesting. I was specifically told by admissions committees and our advisors in the post bacc program that being a re-applicant is actually a GOOD thing, but necessitates improving your application on all fronts in between cycles. If you just resubmit, and don't change anything, then you pretty much go in the garbage. (apparently a lot of students do that, without any effort to improve).

I seriously think my low MCAT is the reason my email is getting no love -_- I think my ECs were pretty on point. & that's what's keeping me in the "we can maybe reject/accept them as our last option" pile... :sigh: poopers
Same :/ I know its early....but sort of hard when I log on and see IIs every day.

Same :/ I know its early....but sort of hard when I log on and see IIs every day.

Yeah, I'm totally unmotivated though. I know people who has great scores and had to wait until May to hear acceptances...but IIs? I hope I'm not the last batch of IIs

Wow thats interesting. I was specifically told by admissions committees and our advisors in the post bacc program that being a re-applicant is actually a GOOD thing, but necessitates improving your application on all fronts in between cycles. If you just resubmit, and don't change anything, then you pretty much go in the garbage. (apparently a lot of students do that, without any effort to improve).

::sry long-ish post::
I think there is your key sentence. It's not "BAD" to be a re-applicant if you can show that you have matured, further explored and improved your ECs as well as stayed motivated to pursue the same career. That takes and shows your level of commitment and motivation. HOWEVER, to do that you basically have to have a completely 2.0 version of your first application. The same old "why medicine" PS won't work; instead they want to see "why still medicine". The ECs that fortify the why medicine go out the window (since they will also have your old app); instead they want to see the ECs that have build on the previous ones or furthering within the same EC. etc etc

so yeah, re-applying AFTER a post-bacc program you would think that gives you the time and exposure to get a great second app (increase academics and ECs and experiences), but for those who apply within a year or two without being part of a post bacc program or doing significant ECs....no. it's not good. Personally, I though of reapplying worse case scenario and I am dreading it already. Like just to get a good PS out took so much effort...how am I gonna get a 2.0 version out -_- It would require me getting other experiences and perspectives from those I have now. I advice don't do it, unless you are FULLY aware of how much harder it will be the second time around because ADCOMs WILL look for improvement in all areas (versus if they just wait improve their MCAT significantly then apply...the schools will just keep an eye on that MCAT improvement)

Update: Rejected from OUWB but still plenty of schools to hear back from. Thankfully, I have many DO interviews lined up.

3.9/29 and have gotten 2 MD II's !!!

I read this thread before applying and it really inspired me! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
3.9/29 and have gotten 2 MD II's !!!

I read this thread before applying and it really inspired me! Good luck everyone!!

Congrats!! Where at if you don't mind sharing?

29 mcat, 7 II's so far. But I'm also a Texas resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Baylor, UT Southwestern, and UT Houston.
Totes jelly. I applied OOS with a 66 Lizzy M just hoping to get an II to UNT, great school, low tuition. I have only gotten silence from Texas schools.

Last edited:
State school started to send invites and looks like I missed the first wave :(. Trying to remain optimistic here.

With all due respect, the dude didn't even say his MCAT score and also had a 4.0 lol.

With all due respect, the dude didn't even say his MCAT score and also had a 4.0 lol.

I sped read that essay and didn't even notice that the practice exams were between the 27-29. He apparently wouldn't actually divulge what his true MCAT was. However let's say for argument sake that his MCAT was a 26, that's a Lizzy M of 66.

If he is an instate applicant to Wright State in addition to his research at highly regarded institutions it is not surprising to me that he got in.

Last edited:
29 MCAT with interviews at Oakland and WVU. Feelin good

Reactions: 3 users