Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this past week at my state school with a 503/3.4. Nontrad (veteran) with a ton of clinical experience and a steep incline in grades the past few years

A dean of a med school told me once that pre-meds are so consumed with high MCAT scores and GPAs, but the truth is that they're looking to see that you bring added value to a med school class. Of course you have to meet a "standard" for the school, but just as much effort can be put into diversifying your application and experiencing the world as can be to get the 4.0 and the 510. Love this thread

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A dean of a med school told me once that pre-meds are so consumed with high MCAT scores and GPAs, but the truth is that they're looking to see that you bring added value to a med school class. Of course you have to meet a "standard" for the school, but just as much effort can be put into diversifying your application and experiencing the world as can be to get the 4.0 and the 510. Love this thread

mind PMing me what school this was? Hope I applied there haha

mind PMing me what school this was? Hope I applied there haha

Hey @grey_wind, I think that's true for many schools! Although, a high MCAT score and GPA are still preferred, it's really about the quality of the application. Wishing you the absolute best!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks! How is first year going for you so far!!??
It's going... lol! I have an anatomy practical and block exam coming up in the next few weeks that I am looking forward to! How's the cycle going for you? I haven't been on this thread in awhile.

Yes at VCU I was asked about it and I thought I did a good job addressing it, providing no excuses for the score. I'm now on post interview hold and hopefully it leads to an acceptance at some point :).
hey mind PMing your response to low mcat score?

28 MCAT with three acceptances so far!

Reactions: 3 users
502 MCAT, ~3.6 cGPA
5 MD applications, 1 DO application.

1 DO II, accepted
1 MD II, no decision yet
No rejections yet, only compleeeeete silence. If only my top choice school would love me back

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd add to this also!

503 MCAT

20 MD Applications
1 II (will attend in 2 weeks)
6 pre-II rejections
13 silence

2 DO applications
Applied late and no DO letter
Still waiting to hear

Hopefully my one interview goes well as its my state school and my absolute #1 pick

Luckily, I'm a Texas resident so I'm sure that helped! So far TTUHSC El Paso, UTMB Galveston, and Texas A&M! Thank you, can't wait to get started!

I'm feeling good as a Texas applicant! Congrats! Which will you choose though?!

I'm feeling good as a Texas applicant! Congrats! Which will you choose though?!
I think I'm going with TTUHSC in El Paso. Has a nice class size that isn't too big, great faculty, a really high step 1 score last year, innovative curriculum, and they are opening a brand new teaching hospital next fall (in addition to the current county hospital)! Also, tuition was a manageable $16k per year!

I think I'm going with TTUHSC in El Paso. Has a nice class size that isn't too big, great faculty, a really high step 1 score last year, innovative curriculum, and they are opening a brand new teaching hospital next fall (in addition to the current county hospital)! Also, tuition was a manageable $16k per year!

Which city are you from? Doesn't A&M allow 3rd/4th location in pretty much all major cities? Is location a factor for you, since you chose El Paso? I'm just fantasizing a bit through your admission.

Last edited:
Just updating!

29 MCAT
12II's
9 interviews attended
7 acceptances
1 assumed rejection from GW (since I've been on hold forever) .

Once again, so glad I'm a Texas Resident!

Reactions: 2 users
Texan resident with not as much luck :( LizzyM around 64 with strong recs and ECs. Guess it's just not my year!

So I'm a bit different than everyone else with a super late September 23 MCAT.

MCAT: 503
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.94
Non-trad

2 MD II
1 accepted (top choice), other decision still pending. :)

Any really exceptional experiences you think helped you stand out?

Well I was in a weird situation where I dropped out of dental school the first week and applied straight to medical school, which means I took the MCAT in 5 weeks while doing applications.

I think what helped me stand out (good or bad) was dropping out, at least in Texas since they knew about dental school.

I did about 4000 hours of scribing and shadowing, volunteered in refugee camps overseas, and established a volunteer organization. So I'm really not sure what stood out, dropping out of dental school or the extracurriculars. :)

curious about what made you leave dental school after a week :)

Keeping it ambiguous for now: Received my first interview invite a few weeks back, to an MD school. Definitely attending this interview, if I get accepted, then I'm all set :D!

This will be my first interview, so I have a question:
If my interviewer brings up my low MCAT score (my score is 29), how do you answer it? I shouldn't get defensive, but what can I say? I studied and did bad lol?Has anyone been through this experience/question at an interview? Whats the best way to handle it?

Keeping it ambiguous for now: Received my first interview invite a few weeks back, to an MD school. Definitely attending this interview, if I get accepted, then I'm all set :D!

If my interviewer brings up my low MCAT score (my score is 29), how do you answer it? I shouldn't get defensive, but what can I say? I studied and did bad lol?Has anyone been through this experience/question at an interview? Whats the best way to handle it?

Well, what did you learn from the experience? It's not about doing poorly. If asked, it would be a great talking point regarding those particular lessons, and how said lessons have impacted how you view school etc. DO NOT go in there and say that you did bad, it's like shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't think that anyone is going to reference a 29 MCAT as an especially bad score. It's somewhere around 75th percentile within a highly educated group.

Do you know if your interview is open or closed file? Might be a non issue entirely

EDIT: Also congrats!!!! Been pulling for you since back in August

Last edited:
Thanks @f4reignbeauty , I think I did learn a lot about that score/experience and this would be the proper time to discuss that! @bunchesonothing , I completely agree, the score is 72nd percentile, it ain't bad, but according to the school's SDN thread page, one student was interrogated who had a 31, cause it was below the school's average mcat -_-. I personally think a 27+ score is solid, but hey, that's me.

@grey_wind , can't thank you enough for the support - your post made me smile =) Best of luck to all y'all

any updates or good news anyone would like to share?

Last edited:
any updates or good news anyone would like to share?
Got my second II a few weeks ago, interviewing on friday! Hoping this one goes better than the last (was rejected post-interview)

Reactions: 1 users
3.7c,3.7s,25 then 504 (7 in verbal). II at the only MD school I applied to (Brody SOM). A few acceptances to some DO schools

Just found this thread and thought I'd share my story so far!

28 MCAT, thought it would knock me right of the game but I had 7 interviews; 4 of which turned into MD wait lists (bummed, but at least it's not completely over), 1 acceptance (DO) and still waiting to hear back from 2.

Good luck to everyone on this thread and congrats to those accepted! There is hope for us all, we are proof that MCAT score is not the end-all-be-all! :)

Last edited:
Went into my first application cycle with a 28 MCAT and 3.6 and thought I didn't have a snowball's chance at an acceptance anywhere. Somehow, I was invited to 8 MD interviews and was able to turn 6 down after a pretty early acceptance to my dream school. Miracles do happen - if anything this has shown me that you are more that your test scores! Good luck to everyone awaiting good news!

Reactions: 6 users
I managed to score my first MD acceptance at a U.S. school last week! ORM, high GPA, MCAT in 27-29 range.

Reactions: 3 users
502 MCAT 4 MD II accepted :) you ARE more than numbers

Reactions: 7 users
So it looks like I'm an MD waitlist all-star this year. 6 MD interviews that resulted in 1 rejection and 5 waitlists. Plenty of pre-II rejections as well. Some good news from any of these schools in a few months would be nice but I'm not gonna get my hopes up about it. 28 mcat, 3.7 gpa, ORM, for anyone wondering.

29 MCAT, 1 MD Interview which became an acceptance, 1 more MD interview in two weeks. There are more than just the MCAT :)

So it looks like I'm an MD waitlist all-star this year. 6 MD interviews that resulted in 1 rejection and 5 waitlists. Plenty of pre-II rejections as well. Some good news from any of these schools in a few months would be nice but I'm not gonna get my hopes up about it. 28 mcat, 3.7 gpa, ORM, for anyone wondering.
Sorry to hear that, I understand how that can be extremely upsetting. I would contact the school that rejected you post-II to get some feedback.

25 MCAT, 3.6 uGPA 3.9 grad GPA. 4 Interviews (including Wash U.) Waiting to hear back on acceptances.

You're not alone! I'm with ya on that all-star team. I'm a hit with the MD wait lists :p

What were your EC's like?

Also, do you have any tips? I have the 28 equiv (505 Balanaced), 3.49cGPA and am looking to apply in June

I had the standard few years of research in animal science and nutrition, a year of my own research project studying doctor/patient interactions, shadowed physicians and worked in free clinics. I also spent a huge chunk of my college career working with or starting my own philanthropies and decided to take a fifth year to study healthcare policy abroad and I double minored in culture and art. I kind of paved my own path based on my own interests and my only advice is to do the same! Don't fall into a mold I guess - do what you love and let that set you apart. Though I still don't feel like one who should be giving advice! :) Good luck!

You're not alone! I'm with ya on that all-star team. I'm a hit with the MD wait lists :p
Lol yeah at this point I guess there's not much else we can do aside from sending in updates and a letter of intent to our top choice. Best of luck to you fellow waitlist all-star!