PhD/PsyD Any 73B or Army HPSP Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current Army HPSP students or 73B's on this board? I know there was one previously, but he hasn't been active in quite some time. At any rate, I have some questions, if you guys could PM me or respond on here so I can PM you.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this maybe belong in the military medicine forum? I know psychologists don't frequent that board often though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im looking at Army, ,Navy, and AF HPSP scholarship in Psychology (PsyD). Lets talk lovely people! All these MD crowds make me feel that there are no clinical/counseling psychs here. Lets unite and exchange our experiences/concerns.

Im looking at Army, ,Navy, and AF HPSP scholarship in Psychology (PsyD). Lets talk lovely people! All these MD crowds make me feel that there are no clinical/counseling psychs here. Lets unite and exchange our experiences/concerns.

I'm not familiar with the Air Force HPSP, but the Army is 2 years and the Navy is 3. What year are you in your PsyD program?

I
I'm not familiar with the Air Force HPSP, but the Army is 2 years and the Navy is 3. What year are you in your PsyD program?
I start this fall.(2015). I just finished my masters in may, so ill have 3 years of coursework then internship.

How about you? Are you on the Hpsp?

I

I start this fall.(2015). I just finished my masters in may, so ill have 3 years of coursework then internship.

How about you? Are you on the Hpsp?

I'm in a Psy.D. program now and am waiting on selection board results, currently. For the Navy, the scholarship has to be 3 years (so you'll have to extend the program). And for the Army, its a two year scholarship, and you have to be in the first year of your doctoral program to apply. Don't start on your paperwork in a different part of the country with a different recruiter or start early. You don't want to have to go to MEPS or fill out all of your security paperwork again.

Also!: Sorry if that sounded harsh or anything, I did it (because) and ended up having to do a lot of paperwork over, there is not much they can keep from fiscal year to fiscal year and their fiscal year doesn't start until after the summer.

I'm in a Psy.D. program now and am waiting on selection board results, currently. For the Navy, the scholarship has to be 3 years (so you'll have to extend the program). And for the Army, its a two year scholarship, and you have to be in the first year of your doctoral program to apply. Don't start on your paperwork in a different part of the country with a different recruiter or start early. You don't want to have to go to MEPS or fill out all of your security paperwork again.

Also!: Sorry if that sounded harsh or anything, I did it (because) and ended up having to do a lot of paperwork over, there is not much they can keep from fiscal year to fiscal year and their fiscal year doesn't start until after the summer.

I really hope you do get the scholarship!!!! From your answers, I gather that you applied for the Navy HPSP?

What you are saying is REALLY valuable. You are saying NOT to start the admission process early? How are recruiters assigned? I currently live in the South but the planned school is in a very far away region (Ill be moving cross country). Are you saying that I will need to have a totally new recruiter once I move to the part of the country where the school is located? Are recruiters restricted by region? If so, is that true in all branches? I might as well find a recruiter in the location where the school is at NOW?

My top choice Navy, but now that you are saying their scholarships are 3 years, Im a little struck. If my program itself is 4 years (last year internship) and 3 years of courses/practicum, AND My recruiter is telling me to apply AFTER Im in year 1, That means Id have to extend an extra year? On the one hand that is a good thing because I would have a whole year to work on my dissertation and other coursework. But on the other hand, I would have to pitch to the committee a proposal that includes this anomoly?

Im having this sinking feeling that maybe my recruiter didnt know what she was talking about? That I should have been applying to the scholarship for the current board (Jan 2015)?

Any experience or words on AF HPSP?

If you would rather have this conversation private, let me know :) or we can even talk on the phone if that is faster, unless you want to protect your anonymity. I know your time is super pressed and valuable while in school.

Many thanks!!!!

I really hope you do get the scholarship!!!! From your answers, I gather that you applied for the Navy HPSP?

What you are saying is REALLY valuable. You are saying NOT to start the admission process early? How are recruiters assigned? I currently live in the South but the planned school is in a very far away region (Ill be moving cross country). Are you saying that I will need to have a totally new recruiter once I move to the part of the country where the school is located? Are recruiters restricted by region? If so, is that true in all branches? I might as well find a recruiter in the location where the school is at NOW?

My top choice Navy, but now that you are saying their scholarships are 3 years, Im a little struck. If my program itself is 4 years (last year internship) and 3 years of courses/practicum, AND My recruiter is telling me to apply AFTER Im in year 1, That means Id have to extend an extra year? On the one hand that is a good thing because I would have a whole year to work on my dissertation and other coursework. But on the other hand, I would have to pitch to the committee a proposal that includes this anomoly?

Im having this sinking feeling that maybe my recruiter didnt know what she was talking about? That I should have been applying to the scholarship for the current board (Jan 2015)?

Any experience or words on AF HPSP?

If you would rather have this conversation private, let me know :) or we can even talk on the phone if that is faster, unless you want to protect your anonymity. I know your time is super pressed and valuable while in school.

Many thanks!!!!

I actually applied to Army and Navy. I'm not familiar with Air Force. I called them and they said they would call me back. Never did and wouldn't answer my second call, so I just gave up on them. The Navy is more competitive, because of locations and special duty stations (like white house billets, etc.) They have the fewest slots as you can imagine. Don't start the paperwork until you are in your first quarter/semester. The Navy likes to see a semester or two quarters of graduate coursework. They both want to see you achieving something as soon as you get there. You can go to MEPS once under one service and the other branches can request it. Now if you have any temporary disqualifications it can take a while to get it requested (6+ Weeks).

Make SURE you are talking to an officer healthcare recruiter. The enlisted recruiters look at us like we are magical golden unicorns. And even the recruiters who do know about the HPSP scholarship are very unfamiliar with clinical psych students, so they probably won't know what they are doing (It's a process), so we are still unicorns, just not golden. Do not start until your first quarter/semester. DO NOT SIGN any kind of contract at MEPS. Its an enlistment contract. For the Navy, if you are in a 4 year (class room/practicum) + 1 year (internship) program, then you will apply in your first year. You won't get notified if you received it or not until APRIL or MAY. And yes that means you will have debt for the first year.

I'm done with my kit for them and I'll have to wait until then. The Army's deadline is December 23rd to 29th (varies some years). They make their decision during the second week of January (that's what I'm waiting on). You have to interview for both as well now. For the Army, it HAS to be the last two years before your internship, so you apply in your first or second year. For the Army you also have to apply for internship (Army CPIP) and you are basically in a lottery of 1 of 5 locations. You will probably get selected, just not necessarily your first choice. No you will apply for next boards (2016) if you don't start until this August. And yes you will need a new recruiter. Message me ASAP regardless and tell me what school you are going to, I think I know which one. (Also if you have any questions I didn't answer, ask them too). Look forward to hearing from you!

Army only offers 1 and 2 year scholarships. You cannot apply in the first year of your doctoral program. You have to wait until your 2nd year to apply for the 2 year or wait until your 3rd year to apply for the 1 year scholarship.

Army only offers 1 and 2 year scholarships. You cannot apply in the first year of your doctoral program. You have to wait until your 2nd year to apply for the 2 year or wait until your 3rd year to apply for the 1 year scholarship.

Sort of. Depends on the program ;) Some PsyDs have shortened programs.