Any advice for UC Berkeley Extension Biochemistry X105

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaylacake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking biochemistry mcellbix015 at UC Berkeley online and am extremely frustrated with it. I have read tons of reviews on here about the vague questions and grading that makes no sense. Just wondering if anyone has taken it and has some wise words of advice they are willing to offer? I have taken tons of online courses and have NEVER had this much of a problem with a course or professor. I've also connected with a few other students who feel the same way so I'm sure they would also appreciate any wise words.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in X105 Introductory Biochemistry as well, and I regret ever having signed up. There are several specific issues. One, there is no guidance from the professor. The prof exists only to grade and, maybe if you're lucky, respond with a dismissive and sometimes condescending 1-sentence email that doesn't address any of your questions. I asked her about ten times for feedback on my midterm (not exaggerating), and she never once wrote me back except to accuse me of wanting to cheat. Furthermore, there are no lectures or class material from her. The class is literally just long reading assignments, regurgitative and vague 10-page writing assignments, and that's it! And it costs $850!

The test grades were another matter entirely. This professor writes extraordinarily vague questions and then gives harsh penalties (20-30% off the final grade!) for not including details she didn't ask for, even on a tightly timed test! Many students in our course felt this was unfair, and the general consensus at this point seems to be that nobody is satisfied. I complained to her and the administration about this, only to be formally accused of cheating on my midterm despite a lack of evidence to suggest this. I actually feel like they are trying to silence me for complaining. Furthermore, the administration simply couldn't care less about students' problems, and getting them to respond to emails (most admins don't apparently have phone numbers) is like pulling teeth. I'm actually considering withdrawing and petitioning for a refund on the basis of discriminatory grading, even though I've completed the entire course up to the final, because I'm so afraid of the arbitrariness of the grading and feel there's a real chance I could fail (you need at least a 70% on the final to pass no matter what).

I say all of this just to give you an idea about how apathetic and harsh these professors and administrators are. This course appears to be designed to make UCB Extension money, not to educate. For the sake of your transcript and your sanity, do not take this course! Kaylacake, I wish I could offer advice--I know exactly how you feel.

Hi Apostatic,
How did you end up making out with this? I also emailed her (about 20 times haha), with the same result as you. I even emailed the admins as well as the dean, and the only advice they had for me was to talk to the prof again, or to withdraw as "online learning clearly isn't for everyone",even though I've taken at least 7 or 8 online courses and done well. I am supposed to start med school in Jan, so I am going to try and take the final (tomorrow morning actually). There is absolutely no reason why I should fail, but it's honestly a real possibility. If I do, I'm going to raise hell. I've clearly asked for guidance and gotten no help. I feel like I paid $1000 to read a textbook - what was the point of a professor at all? I know we are not alone in this and I am frustrated beyond belief.

canadianinusa: Avoid at all costs

Members don't see this ad :)
I will raise hell too kaylacake if I fail her cell biology class... there is no reason at all. Her grading is so subjective, no grading rubric that makes any sense...

Damn... I guess I am on the look for a different biochem class! Hopefully I get an acceptance at a school that doesn't require it, so that I can take it for the knowledge instead of worrying about the grade as much.

Anyone here try Colorado State University's class? My worry with that one is having enough time to complete it on schedule.

You can take it online. Some schools accept it. I'm taking the offline Biochemistry at Harvard's Extension School right now and they are recording the classes that will be used for next semesters online only Biochemistry. It's pretty easy and the professor is pretty good.

For those of you taking an online UCB science course this is so not reassuring for me. I live in the bay area and was highly considering their post-bacc program. Those who have taken their classes in person aren't too happy about the support either :-/ One girl (a friend of mine) got into med school though after doing the post-bacc but she had nothing positive to say other than "It strengthened my application for medical school" She completed undergrad at UCB and said the undergrad and extension campus are like night and day. Hope it gets better!

For those of you taking an online UCB science course this is so not reassuring for me. I live in the bay area and was highly considering their post-bacc program. Those who have taken their classes in person aren't too happy about the support either :-/ One girl (a friend of mine) got into med school though after doing the post-bacc but she had nothing positive to say other than "It strengthened my application for medical school" She completed undergrad at UCB and said the undergrad and extension campus are like night and day. Hope it gets better!

Go take a real class. This class is even harder than some grad level courses, the way it is graded arbitrarily with no guidance

Reactions: 1 users
In this class now, I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above (although this post is a little late..) I am just hoping any of you who took it have any advice for the final?? I'm about to take it next week and am genuinely afraid I won't pass it...

Any advice after taking it? Did you pass?

Reactions: 1 user
In this class now, I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above (although this post is a little late..) I am just hoping any of you who took it have any advice for the final?? I'm about to take it next week and am genuinely afraid I won't pass it...

Does anyone have advice for the final? (UC Berkeley BioChem) I HAVE to pass this class or else I don't go to medical school. Any advice would help.

Does anyone have advice for the final? (UC Berkeley BioChem) I HAVE to pass this class or else I don't go to medical school. Any advice would help.
Are you about to take the final? I have two more modules to go and am pretty damn nervous about the final, as the midterm had some very specific questions and was graded pretty hard. Also I don't know any other way to study aside from re-read the entire text book, as all the homework assignments are just a 8-10 page re-write of the assigned chapters.
So I am very curious to here what the final is like.

I have no idea because the prof is allowed 14 days to grade it instead of the usual 7, and naturally she seems to want to take the full 14...
I don't know how similar the professors are so if any of you guys have Prof. Marsh I can give my insight there.

To everyone this applies to: I passed, thank the gods (got an 86.5%). The final is very similar to the midterm except it is longer. (once again, I can only speak for Marsh's section). I studied for about a week (a few hours each night), reviewed 1-2 modules per day and reviewed her final exam study guide as well as the "Learning Objectives" at the top of each module overview.
GL to everyone who has yet to finish.

I am currently taking biochemistry mcellbix015 at UC Berkeley online and am extremely frustrated with it. I have read tons of reviews on here about the vague questions and grading that makes no sense. Just wondering if anyone has taken it and has some wise words of advice they are willing to offer? I have taken tons of online courses and have NEVER had this much of a problem with a course or professor. I've also connected with a few other students who feel the same way so I'm sure they would also appreciate any wise words.
Thanks!

From what I understand classes taken at UC Berkeley extension don't transfer anywhere.

If you're local, living near Berkeley, I can help with Biochem

Hi all. I am just posting this up for posterity in case anyone reads this later. I just got my grades for the final back. I also passed with a 82%. I am also fairly sure I know where I lost points. The final was not as rough as I thought it would be. It's true the grading for the modules can be a bit mysterious (when in doubt, just put in all the details, sure your homework will be 10 pages long. But that gets an 100%). As was said earlier, the final is the same style as the midterm: ten short answer and pick 4 essays out of six questions. All the essay questions are basically shorter versions of module homeworks. I did a light amount of studying 10 days before the exam, focusing on my old homework and the study guide she gives you after module 10. She makes it pretty clear in the study guide what some of the essay questions will be (ATP, protein purification, krebs cycle, photosynthesis...).
The tough part is getting the final done in time. It is three hours and I figure I wrote a densely packed full page for each essay and for the 10 short answers. I had no time for reviewing my answers. This is where I imagine I lost most of my points, small details I planned to go back and finish but didn't get the chance to.

All in all, the class was very frustrating when I started it, but once you figure out what the professor is looking for it gets WAY easier. Good luck everyone.

Anyone else have any study tips? I am about to take the final. :dead: I feel very similar as for the course. I feel the expectations were very vague. Perhaps I am just not good at learning straight from the text...the assignments didn't help either.

DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS X105 Biochemistry at UC Berkeley; this was a huge mistake by me and i dont anyone to ever go through what i just experienced. Online work consists of 11 modules, 3 quizzes and worksheet and short answer questions. The final is proctored and requires a 70% or higher to pass the overall class. THE problem is that all the online content and expectations are reasonable the FINAL on the other hand is not. Hard to figure out exact expectation from this course. The final was was not in the same format as the quizzes and online work. JUST take this at a local college in classroom setting. AVOID AT ALL COST !! I would suggest you ask for pass rate for this course if you dont believe me. DONT waste your TIME and MONEY !!!

Last edited:
I found the final to be on par (or easier) than the other quizzes and tests.

Nice first post.