About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Any advice on schools? pleaseee :)

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by wind0angel, Jun 19, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. wind0angel

wind0angel

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi everyone!

I have 3.6 sGPA 3.7cGPA from Stony Brook University.
    29 MCAT twice :( first time it was 9P 10 V 10 B this time it was 11P 9V 9B
    Graduated with Chemistry BS degree, Magna Cum Laude

Volunteered in Stony Brook Hospital and did research in Stony Brook in High School - I'm not sure if I should put that in application.

Volunteered in veteran's home for 2 years,
    Cancer research 2 years
    chemistry TA 3 years
    Shadowed Oncologist 8 hrs/week in May
    Patient Care Assistant in a critical assess hospital in Pennsylvania- started job June 4th
    Shadowed in Peds 8hrs/ week till now
    Shadowed in Pain/Surgery 8hrs/week till now

VP and Secretary for 2 clubs and Illustrator for Phi Delta Epsilon

Deans List every semester
    Full Scholarship

Any school suggestions on schools? Which school should I put as my safeties?

Thank you so much!!!:)

Taking MCAt twice and getting the same score kinda bummed me out. :(:(:(
  2. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You are good. Check out my mdapps. I have very similar stats and got interviews everywhere I applied. You are solid for every DO school in the nation (minus the regional preference).
  3. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will do fine just like Frky said...

There's your boost of confidence that you were looking for.
  4. Bacchus

Bacchus PGY Too-many-expectations Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 7+ Year Member
    WAMC thread. Moving.
  5. Thego2guy

Thego2guy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are you a NY resident? If so, you definitely have good enough stats for all of the SUNY's!!!
  6. wind0angel

wind0angel

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would definitely take the SUNY's. But my volunteering isn't strong because I really loved the research I was doing and did research over summer and during the semester. I only volunteered in the veteran's home (1hr/wk) through my honor society and stopped after I found my research. I'm trying to boost up my chance by getting a job at a hospital but it started in June and I'm nervous about how much it will help me when they look at my application.

Should I even bother apply to better schools like NYU? Do you think they would just throw my application out because of the 29 MCAT twice?

I have all schools in NY that has MCAT range of 29-?? on MSAR listed as possible schools to apply to.
  7. Thego2guy

Thego2guy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My response will be limited (on my phone), but NYU would be the "lower tier" school in Manhattan, so I suppose it is worth a shot if you can afford spending the extra bucks. However, you would really need to stand out for them considering your MCAT. MUCH crazier things have happened though. I would advise you apply to Einstein. It is "less" prestigeous than NYU, but still awesome, and I think you would have a good shot. (a buddy of mine in residency finished Einstein right after Cornell, has a high 3.7 and a 29. It did help that he had some one put in a call for him though... So....utilize your networks wisely). Aside from that, PSU seems pretty OOS friendly. UMDNJ, not so much. If you are a good fit (you are, stats wise) for schools like GW and Drexel, then definitely apply there. Lets not forget. NYMC + all the SUNY's, and places such as Jefferson, and a few schools in Connecticut/Boston area (Tufts, Temple - don't bother with BU).

Your EC's in general appear worthy, and decently strong. Especially the way you present the volunteering as "two years". The research is real nice, and being a TA is not such a big joke either. don't undersell yourself. You didn't cure the common cold in South America, but you still dedicated a wealth of your time on things that can only reinforce your application.

Are you a girl? Are you URM? If so, you are in an even better position!