any advice please? accounting vs pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dareen_ss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I don't know what's happing to me :( right now my major is accounting, but I really like pharmacy. I l know there is a huge different between them this is my third semester at community college in San Diego, but I haven't take major classes yet because I'm an international student so I was taking only the general education like English, sociology, history, art, communication.. etc. next semester I have to take only major classes because I finished all the general education. I like both of them, but what I'm wondering most about is the salary and job stability. I was planning to go to chapman university school of pharmacy? btw I'm almost 21 years old. any advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

Accounting for sure for visa opportunity. You won't get H1B sponsor in Pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accounting is a much better return on investment for your education. There are pretty much no pharmacy job openings in your area, and you would have to give up $150k+ in tuition.

It's extremely hard to pass the CPA exam (much harder to pass then the NAPLEX.) Why this is, I don't know (colleges passing poorly prepared students I assume?) If I were you, I'd keep my options open, major in Accounting, but make sure you have the pre-requisites for pharmacy school as well. If you can't pass your CPA exam, apply to pharmacy school.

To OP: instead of straight accounting, have you considered actuarial science?

https://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html

Most undergrads should be able to pass 3-4 tests if they actually paid attention during school. The main difference between pharmacy and actuary is whether you can motivate yourself to study during your own time. If you have self discipline, you can earning a good salary and once you pass the 6th exam you will be making 6 figures without having spending an extra 4 years + $100k+ on a doctorate.

To OP: instead of straight accounting, have you considered actuarial science?

https://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html

Most undergrads should be able to pass 3-4 tests if they actually paid attention during school. The main difference between pharmacy and actuary is whether you can motivate yourself to study during your own time. If you have self discipline, you can earning a good salary and once you pass the 6th exam you will be making 6 figures without having spending an extra 4 years + $100k+ on a doctorate.

Ah, the actuarial exam IS WAY, WAY harder than the CPA one. There's also the problem that the SOA is specific to North America and may not reflect the practices allowed in this international student's home country, CAS is the better option but is more specialized than SOA. And, you still run into the H1B problem if staying is your intention.

very very very few pharmacies are going to spend money/time to sponsor you. your best bet is to do something in tech...those tech companies are pushing sponsorhips hard to cut cost...which is a shame.

Accounting is a better choice IMO.
It's extremely hard to pass the CPA exam (much harder to pass then the NAPLEX.) Why this is, I don't know (colleges passing poorly prepared students I assume?) If I were you, I'd keep my options open, major in Accounting, but make sure you have the pre-requisites for pharmacy school as well. If you can't pass your CPA exam, apply to pharmacy school.

Naplex has almost 100% passing rate if you got to a legit school. Comparing any other exam other than maybe the driving exam will pale in comparison. Having said that, my friend minored in accounting at UCLA and passed this exam. Maybe accounting, which is a bachelors degree in most schools, draws less prepared and motivated students? Even without passing the CPA exam, one can work as an accountant in a lot of firms.

The poster doesn't give us much info in regards to what's important to him/her. Sounds like this poster hasn't even taken one relavant class to either field to even know what's more appropriate. From a financial standpoint, in CA, a PHARM.D. has a sticker price of 200-300K. This poster contemplates going to Champman which might be the worst decision in the history of western civilization. Nonetheless, as you can tell I am for the much cheaper accounting route despite being a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, the actuarial exam IS WAY, WAY harder than the CPA one. There's also the problem that the SOA is specific to North America and may not reflect the practices allowed in this international student's home country, CAS is the better option but is more specialized than SOA. And, you still run into the H1B problem if staying is your intention.

14982d1245688120-goalkeeper-vs-phalanx-necropost-kitten.jpg