Any Advice would be amazing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wynton Marsalis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's my story

I entered a four year private university on a full tuition scholarship for classical trumpet. However, I always new that I would pursue a different route other than music, during my college career I discovered that I wanted to be a physician. Fortunately my school is quite good about double majoring and making the process of doing so relatively easy.

Things started off really poorly for me because my private trumpet studio professor, who was 24 and got the job because of his fathers connections, didn't agree with my classical training. Instrumental musicians study through one on one sessions with the university professor for four years. (For anyone who didnt know). I developed a very poor relationship with my music professor which essentially derailed me from being that happy college student. I was overloading on both chem and music classes and trying to deal with a significantly poor relationship. My first year did not go well at all. gpa 2.5

I spoke to my parents and they told me they wanted me to stay at my school for the financial reasons.
Anyway, I started to manage a little better at the school even though I still despised it. I got 3.2's to 3.3s and upward trends

Finally, there was another full sch. student who complained about the prof as well. As a result, he is no longer at the school and another amazing professor is teaching.

In terms of my grades im hoping to graduate with a BA in Music with a double major in Biochemistry. gpa c 3.25-3.3and sc 3.3-3.4. I havent taken my MCAT yet.

Im very hesitant and dont even know if ill be able to get into Med school with the gpa that I have because of the stats and what my advisor has been saying.

Id really appreciate and help, im sorry if this was really long

Members don't see this ad.

GPAs are too low for MD schools, but fine for DO. If you're boning for MD, then a post-bac or SMP is in order.

In terms of my grades im hoping to graduate with a BA in Music with a double major in Biochemistry. gpa c 3.25-3.3and sc 3.3-3.4. I havent taken my MCAT yet.

Im very hesitant and dont even know if ill be able to get into Med school with the gpa that I have because of the stats and what my advisor has been saying.

Music to medicine here as well. I play euphonium and bass and have a VERY similar story - down to the crappy studio teacher (except he was tenured). I finished with a 3.45cGPA 3.35sGPA and will be matriculating (MD) this fall. Do you have a stong upward trend or has your GPA been stagnat? If the former that will really help. How much time do you have until you graduate to do grade repair? If you can get a balanced 25 on the MCAT you stand a fair shot at a DO acceptance, with a 32+ you stand a shot at MD schools. Don't give up you're odds are still pretty good. Also, take what your pre-med advisor has to say with a LARGE grain of salt. My pre-med advisor said I would be lucky to even get a DO interview invite.