Any chance programs we matched into will contact us tonight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sea_Bass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody in previous match years been contacted by their program prior to 1 PM Friday? Like maybe Thursday afternoon?

I ask because the PC at my #1 choice, during our interview day, told us as sort of a *wink-wink, nudge-nudge* type of thing that she will call us the night before to tell us we matched there.

Yeah I know they're not supposed to do this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I have heard of it happening rarely. I think it's kinda strange that a program coordinator would imply to every interview group that they routinely violate the match rules. That's just asking for trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I have heard of it happening rarely. I think it's kinda strange that a program coordinator would imply to every interview group that they routinely violate the match rules. That's just asking for trouble.

My thoughts exactly. It was a minor red flag, but I ranked it #1 regardless. I have my reasons...

...And who's going to turn a program in for doing this?

Someone's disgruntled roommate who didn't match? An angry SO who doesn't really want that person to move away for residency? Some friend who doesn't even know what a match violation is but talks freely around the wrong people at his parents club? Lots of possible permutations. It's just *****ic for a PD to risk a match violation like this, essentially for nothing, and you have to wonder what other foolish things they'll do to put your future program at risk.

Reactions: 7 users
MAIN 2015 Memorial Health-Univ Med Ctr-GA

Statement:
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM, the Family Medicine program at the Memorial Health University Medical Center-Georgia contacted its 2015 matched applicants by email. Section 4.3 of the Match Participation Agreement prohibits matched applicants and programs from contacting each other prior to the general announcement of Main Residency Match results at 1:00 p.m. eastern time on Friday of Match Week.

Sanction:
The NRMP has identified the Family Medicine program at the Memorial Health University Medical Center-Georgia as a Match violator in the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system until 7/22/16.

This stuff gets reported obviously. So I don't think any program would risk it. Especially with a program sitting there with a violation flag for the exact same thing.