Any chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericK14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of me getting into Med school?

I currently have a 3.15 GPA average, I'm currently in my second year. I don't have much to none recent volunteer work, but I do plan on doing some within the next couple weeks and the summer. But what advice would anyone suggest??

I appreciate it a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You still have time and you need to really work hard to bring up your GPA. It is very low for MD schools and low for DO schools. Try to get all As from here on out. And do start working on your ECs now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating between med school and PharmD and Ive been lost in my choice. I just got accepted into PharmD but I don't know if my heart is really Into pharmacy. I love the hospital setting and the patient interactions. I know I have to get grades higher and I'm not too worried on the ECs, I think I can do those with hopefully no worries since there is a lot of opportunities in the Boston area.

I'm debating between med school and PharmD and Ive been lost in my choice. I just got accepted into PharmD but I don't know if my heart is really Into pharmacy. I love the hospital setting and the patient interactions. I know I have to get grades higher and I'm not too worried on the ECs, I think I can do those with hopefully no worries since there is a lot of opportunities in the Boston area.

My friend is a PharmD student (6 year accelerated instate program with undergrad/pharmD included) and told my younger sister not to go because of the limited job opportunities/oversaturation in the market. But that's just from her point of view. I got accepted into the same PharmD program my friend did straight out of high school and turned it down for undergrad/going pre-med route. It's up to you but deifnitely work on getting the rest of your cumulative GPA up because med shcools will look at cumulative GPA vs. science GPA as well.

You need to get that GPA up for both MD and DO. 3.4 will make you competitive for DO, 3.7 for MD.

My friend is a PharmD student (6 year accelerated instate program with undergrad/pharmD included) and told my younger sister not to go because of the limited job opportunities/oversaturation in the market. But that's just from her point of view. I got accepted into the same PharmD program my friend did straight out of high school and turned it down for undergrad/going pre-med route. It's up to you but deifnitely work on getting the rest of your cumulative GPA up because med shcools will look at cumulative GPA vs. science GPA as well.

I've done a lot of research in that aspect and that to played a big part, I work at cvs pharmacy and I can't see myself doing retail pharmacy for the rest of my life. And I know retail is only one part of pharmacy. And I am working my ass off this semester to boost my grades. Only class kicking my butt is Orgo II but I'm trying.

Good luck with your decision for the medical route. Seems your interests correlate well with the medical field.

It won't be an easy one I'll tell you that. To me I'd imagine it's like 3 years of pharmacy school into 2. Pretty much you can't have a part-time job or you'll be on life support.

Yea you'll definitely need to work really hard on your GPA and ECs. I'm actually skeptically on how you'll do on the standardized examinations if your GPA is an indicator. I'd advise for you to attempt to graduate with a degree before matriculating into medical school if your going that route. But to be honest as of now your chances look very slim if you want to get into a decent program. So start working hard and good luck! :zip:

Good luck with your decision for the medical route. Seems your interests correlate well with the medical field.

It won't be an easy one I'll tell you that. To me I'd imagine it's like 3 years of pharmacy school into 2. Pretty much you can't have a part-time job or you'll be on life support.

Yea you'll definitely need to work really hard on your GPA and ECs. I'm actually skeptically on how you'll do on the standardized examinations if your GPA is an indicator. I'd advise for you to attempt to graduate with a degree before matriculating into medical school if your going that route. But to be honest as of now your chances look very slim if you want to get into a decent program. So start working hard and good luck! :zip:

I got into my schools pharmacy program, which I'll start next semester. But if I'm too choose med school, it means improving my grades and graduating with my bachelors degree in a major I choose to do or do I believe my school has a pre-med program which is the 4 Year degree but I have to double check because I'm not to sure. My grades this semester are well enough. Only orgo II is kicking my butt.

Your grades can't be "well enough". They have to be As or A-s from this point on. Your GPA is too low for MD and almost too low for DO. You need to do the best you can, work on ECs since you said you haven't done much and see where everything is after you graduate. You really will need to take a gap year or several so just get to work and see how things turn out.
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Your grades can't be "well enough". They have to be As or A-s from this point on. Your GPA is too low for MD and almost too low for DO. You need to do the best you can, work on ECs since you said you haven't done much and see where everything is after you graduate. You really will need to take a gap year or several so just get to work and see how things turn out.
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

I'm not trying to do post bacc, I'm already 23 years old, I have an A in my A&P 1, a B+ in my Myths & Misconceptions in psychology class (elective), an A in Philosophy (elective) and somewhere between C+ to B- in Orgo 2. I have an A in both A&P and Orgo lab as well. I know I gatta work harder which I will. I just can't lose another year. And yes you're right, I'm starting to look for ECs the following week. And hopefully I can find a couple I can do.

i have multiple MD acceptances and was also a pre-pharm who started pharmacy school with a 3.1x GPA (though i decided on medicine a few years later than you did), so it's not impossible. but that doesn't mean it's not going to be really, really hard, and you need to start getting all As (especially in the classes med schools care about, like orgo) right away. message me if you want

i have multiple MD acceptances and was also a pre-pharm who started pharmacy school with a 3.1x GPA (though i decided on medicine a few years later than you did), so it's not impossible. but that doesn't mean it's not going to be really, really hard, and you need to start getting all As (especially in the classes med schools care about, like orgo) right away. message me if you want

I'm ganna try hard. I know trying to get into med school is no easy task, and I'll message you.