Any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleacherbum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M3 interested in ortho. However, in all honesty my step I score sucks (205), I have no honors my first two years, and only sparse honors so far in my third year. I have done some research in ortho (no publications), I have spent some time with a private practice orthopaedic surgeon (if that even matters), and I do go to a school with highly respected (top ten) ortho residency program. Does anyone think that I have a chance? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

this should work:

Drop out, change your identity, reapply to medical school, and work hard next time....

Dude, who knows. I know one dude with a 220 who went to one of the worst medical schools in the country and he got mad interviews. He matched at his #10, but whatever...the dude is gonna be a bone doc. So anything is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey.
i have a couple of friends that went out for ortho. so this is anecdotal.
based on what they described as the competitiveness this year - you have about a 1% chance of matching. it's possible, i suppose, but really, really slim. the problem is - you gotta get your foot in the door - so you need good boards. if you can rock step 2 - 250+, maybe you'll have a shot.

also, you must be willing to go ANYWHERE. think about what that means.

OSU03 said:

very very slim chance of getting a spot. take a year off, do full-time ortho research, get a few publications, rock step 2 (250+), work hard, get awesome letters, and apply EVERYWHERE. keep in mind that many (or even most) won't consider your application because of your step 1 and/or lack of AOA.

but don't get your hopes up. it's a really tough match.

your best shot may be at your med school. being a ms3 may be a bit late already. but had you spent sign time w.your department and just rocked and they loved you, its possible they can overlook your step 1. if you did well on step 2, itd be even easier for them to like you. otherwise your step 1 is going to close alot of doors at other progs despite even great letters.

bleacherbum said:
I am an M3 interested in ortho. However, in all honesty my step I score sucks (205), I have no honors my first two years, and only sparse honors so far in my third year. I have done some research in ortho (no publications), I have spent some time with a private practice orthopaedic surgeon (if that even matters), and I do go to a school with highly respected (top ten) ortho residency program. Does anyone think that I have a chance? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Honestly, probably less than 1 percent chance...I have friends with similar step 1 scores who were not offered interviews at places where they rotated, let alone other programs.
I think your best bet is to spend as much time as possible doing research and get 2-3 publications and presentations. Then, some people may overlook your step 1 score.

Good luck

i'm a first year getting ready for the last free summer of my life. I am trying to decide if I should do research or not. I was wondering if anyone knows of many people that get into ortho residency without doing any reasearch?

the other dude is right in that your best bet is your own ortho dept. you need to do a sub I and make a huge impression. this would in turn get you some letters from some big names (theoretically, from your high powered program). you also should do a couple of sub I months at lesser programs and make them forget your step 1 score. this along with hauling ass on step 2 will compensate for your sh*tty step 1 score.

otherwise, it will be difficult for you to even get interviews. i know that many (mine included) program's step 1 cut off is around 230.

Plan on doing a few away rotations, and make a great impression. That may get you some interviews. Make a great rotation with your own department, and try to get a fantastic letter from one of the more well-known docs. I agree with whoever said to be prepared to go anywhere - apply to tons of places, and include lesser-known, lower tier schools. If you get interviews, be prepared to explain why your scores/grades are low. Good luck, and have a back-up plan (extra year of research, general surg, etc.).