Any chances for low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey nile,
your suggestions are very good.could you help out...i have very low gpa...nbde score is 85...going to give part2 soon...i will improve my part 1 score..want to improve my gpa ...thought of joining masters programme but same gpa played a role...they need good gpa for mph..I am very depressed and confused...shall i join dental hygienist school...or some other ms programme...but don't have much idea....do u think going to dental hygienist school ,i can improve my gpa...
can you give your opinion in this...coz i found your opinion very helpfull.thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

how is gpa evaluated like if in india you got an average of 60% over the four years and had to repeat two exams what would your gpa be i am in canada and over here thay dont use gpa evaluations

Hello there Praks.
Check your PM inbox.

praks said:
hey nile,
your suggestions are very good.could you help out...i have very low gpa...nbde score is 85...going to give part2 soon...i will improve my part 1 score..want to improve my gpa ...thought of joining masters programme but same gpa played a role...they need good gpa for mph..I am very depressed and confused...shall i join dental hygienist school...or some other ms programme...but don't have much idea....do u think going to dental hygienist school ,i can improve my gpa...
can you give your opinion in this...coz i found your opinion very helpfull.thank you...

Members don't see this ad :)
NileBDS said:
Hello there Praks.
Check your PM inbox.

Hi everyone!
I am very new! I just can not hold to remark what a wonderfull site is this forum, I founded just looking and looking for information about international dentists and the chances of getting on an Advanced Program.
I have being reading different threads for the last two weeks and find all the information and the advices you shared absolutelly priceless aswell as the friendship built among you guys great job! congratulations!!
Nilo, Fido, I like very much all your imputs,either informative or just as comments, they show lots of good values and I can tell you deserve everything you have achieved.
A QUESTION:
I sent my credentials to be evaluated and I am very dissapointed with the results, definetly they do not reflect my performance on dental school, my country does not use the GPA sistem,I might have the chance to have the Dean( of my home school) write a leeter standing my class ranking wich was among the 3% ,do you think that can help on my application with a not so good ECE GPA??

Thank-you ,very much!!!
pazdent.

pazdent said:
Hi everyone!............I might have the chance to have the Dean( of my home school) write a leeter standing my class ranking wich was among the 3% ,do you think that can help on my application with a not so good ECE GPA??........

Yes it will.

thanks a lot,pazdent!it is well appreciated! :thumbup:
pazdent said:
Hi everyone!
I am very new! I just can not hold to remark what a wonderfull site is this forum, I founded just looking and looking for information about international dentists and the chances of getting on an Advanced Program.
I have being reading different threads for the last two weeks and find all the information and the advices you shared absolutelly priceless aswell as the friendship built among you guys great job! congratulations!!
Nilo, Fido, I like very much all your imputs,either informative or just as comments, they show lots of good values and I can tell you deserve everything you have achieved.
A QUESTION:
I sent my credentials to be evaluated and I am very dissapointed with the results, definetly they do not reflect my performance on dental school, my country does not use the GPA sistem,I might have the chance to have the Dean( of my home school) write a leeter standing my class ranking wich was among the 3% ,do you think that can help on my application with a not so good ECE GPA??

Thank-you ,very much!!!
pazdent.

:)
rahmed said:
Yes it will.
Rhamed,
thankyou very much for answering so quick! very appreciated.
Pazdent

fido! said:
thanks a lot,pazdent!it is well appreciated! :thumbup:
You are very very welcome and kep it up! :thumbup:
Fido and also Khurram and Nile! (sorry not Nilo as I wrote before),
I have been reading some of the theads that you all were in , and found out that you will be begining ASP next fall ! congratulations, way to go!!

Any advices for a very new one on this road, whenever you have the time, will be very appreciated. :)

Greetings to all.
pazdent

molsoncanadian said:
can u plz name the schools which are accepting low GPA on this thread.U can send me an email on my id [email protected].please help me nile
Hi there molson. You make me feel like a superhero in a cape ! "Oh my God, my building is on fire and my cat is stuck in there ... and while you're at it, can you tell me what schools accept foreign graduates with low GPA's ? HELP !" ... lol ... ok, that was just my imagination !
Check your PM inbox please. If you need anything else, please PM me, anyone. Don't expect me to read all the threads ... who do you think I am, the MOD ? :D (sorry Prady ... that's the price you pay ... lol)

NileBDS said:
..... who do you think I am, the MOD ? :D (sorry Prady ... that's the price you pay ... lol)

Who is....Prady :confused: ???!!! Oh you mean fido! :idea: before reincarnation:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NileBDS said:
Hi there molson. You make me feel like a superhero in a cape ! "Oh my God, my building is on fire and my cat is stuck in there ... and while you're at it, can you tell me what schools accept foreign graduates with low GPA's ? HELP !" ... lol ... ok, that was just my imagination !
Check your PM inbox please. If you need anything else, please PM me, anyone. Don't expect me to read all the threads ... who do you think I am, the MOD ? :D (sorry Prady ... that's the price you pay ... lol)
:laugh: :laugh:
Sorry, molsoncanadian, don't mean to make fun of you in anyway, but what Nile said is just quite funny.
Hey Sherif, you and your wild imagination, man :laugh:. I bet you've become somewhat of a superhero to quite a few members here already. Hey, if the first part of your quotation ever happens (God forbid) to me, I'll be sure to call on ya. :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,I recently came to US.I got my verification done.can any one tell me what does a GPA of 2.6 mean

Someone had put up a list of Colleges which accept WES evaluation in some thread. I tried looking for it but couldn't get it. I wonder if someone would pass the link

Hey Amtrack, 2.6 doesn't sound that good to be frank. You went for ECE I believe. Do extremely well in your part1 to overcome that hurdle

AjayDas said:
Someone had put up a list of Colleges which accept WES evaluation in some thread. I tried looking for it but couldn't get it. I wonder if someone would pass the link........

Hi Ajay.

I researched and posted the list of ECE/WES/Other evaluators recognized by diffrent schools some time ago. Anyway for your convenience I am posting i the same info here once again...............

US Dental Schools Accepting AS Students and Course Evaluators

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECE -- BU, NYU, UPENN, TEMPLE U (3.0), U FLORIDA, UCSF, U DETROIT M, SUNY BUFFALO (also accepts BERLITZ), UCLA (also accepts IERF), LLU (also accepts IERF & ACEI), U PITT (until this year did their own evaluation but may accept ECE for the coming cycle)

ECE / WES -- TUFT, COLUMBIA U, NSU, U MN, UoP, USC, UIC, U MICHIGAN & U COLORADO (last 2 school also accept AACRAO), SUNY STONY BROOK

EVALUATOR/S UNKNOWN/ NOT MENTIONED -- MARQUETTE U, CREIGHTON U, U CONN, CASE SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE

There must be couple of other schools out there hence any errors and omissions are regretted.

rahmed

Thanks Rahmed. That was exactly what I was looking for.

pazdent said:
Hi everyone!
A QUESTION:

Thank-you ,very much!!!
pazdent.

Hi! ECE really gives very low GPA equivalency for foreign transcripts... when i received mine- it made me cry as if my grade is nothing... I wonder why they give such low equivalency to match our foreign grades...its as if Dentistry is not a hard course...and will they not consider how we managed to finish successfully those years of studies in Dental school for such grade match------but try World Education Services (WES) for US grade equivalency---GPA's better!.

I don't know cause im from a different country than yours...in our grading system (Philippines) the highest grade is the complete opposite of US grading system ---1.0 is Excellent or A ; 5.0 is failed or unofficially dropped while in US ---the highest number is Excellent or A and the Least number for grade is an F.

PK_Bond said:
If you have the signatures from your Principal or the registrar of the university, I dont see why not? If they have not mentioned the repeats in the marks card, it is always good.
This is my two cents...
I just wonder why we need to hide some grade struggles we had while in foreign dental school from US dental admissions? Dentistry is really a difficult study/course. I need some opinions....Don't you think it's more important that we're able to finish those years of studies and finished it? If only my professor were more generous...lol.... Can't we start anew after those ghost of the past???...lol.... :confused:

Hi there. I totaly understand what you meant. I was shocked receiving mine from ECE. I got a quite few 79 and 89 in my transcripts for first 2 years of study. Even I did so well in terms of score marks(system in my Country) in the next 4 years. I got a GPA lower than 3.0. In ECE system 79 = 70 is C, 80 = 89 is B. Yes, WES has more broader range of grading system--plus and minus not just A,B,C,D.

SJ35 said:
I understand that. What I don't understand is how can a person graduate from the school with such GPA. I guess the grading system is very different from what I am used to. Because basicly less than 2 is a non-passing grade.
i suppose, if ECE evaluated it---counter part of WES evaluation with 2 plus GPA will be equivalent to less than 2 GPA for ECE. I presume he/she is talking about an ECE evaluation of his Transcripts. I really wonder why ECE :rolleyes: evaluation is like that...and have questions......

what is the advantage of having ECE GPA 4 n grade A in all the subjects.
Does it really make diff.
n i was just wondering how ECE gives such low grades coz my marks is average not so good, it is 70%, at my oriinal mrksheet n i got 4 gpa. n Im satisfied.
Based on his fact i think no body shud b getting less than 3.
how do they evaluate?
i dint mean to boast but thats wats goin on in my mind.

Hi.
does anyone knows if there is the chance for international dentist to have the chance to imporove GPA,s doing the "POST-BBACCAULEAUREAT" programs, and if any one have an experience on that matter?

Any information will be highly appreciated. :)
pazdent

hi everyone on this thread,
did anyone find out an easier way to improve gpa than taking a full time 2 years course in masters in some science subject????2 years is a lot of time to invest in improving a gpa, isnt there somthing of a shorter durations, like 6 months that can help improve gpa????
if anyone knows anything abt it, please rpely, it will help a lotttttttt, i am so frustated due to gpa.thanks

hi everyone on this thread,
did anyone find out an easier way to improve gpa than taking a full time 2 years course in masters in some science subject????2 years is a lot of time to invest in improving a gpa, isnt there somthing of a shorter durations, like 6 months that can help improve gpa????
if anyone knows anything abt it, please reply, it will help a lotttttttt, i am so frustated due to gpa.thanks

just wanted to thanx everyone this is a site where you can actually see people having same problems solving them togather. Thanks Niles Fido and all the other members for sharing all this info.

Sady

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
Yeah, I'm just wondering ... how did you make it out of dental school with a sub-2.0 GPA. Where did you graduate from ?
Anyways, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. DO NOT GIVE UP !
If I were you, I would call the admission offices of ALL the dental school advanced standing programs (or e-mail them) and ask them driectly, right in the face, if GPA's in general (not yours specifically) would negatively affect an application.
I know right of the back of my head of 3 schools which do not even factor in oversea GPA's for admission (PM me if you need to know more).
Otherwise, if your mind is set for the hygiene program, then I wish you the best of luck, and you will find plenty of imformative threads here on the pre-requisites/deadlines and so forth.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

hi,
well i have seen the message regarding low GPAs and unfortunately even i am placed in a similar situation .it would be of great help if u can provide me the info regarding those schools .thank you bye .
my email [email protected]

Hi everyone,

Since i recieved so many emails regarding GPA so guys here is the story i just looked online requirment for dental hygiene and then took anatomy and physio as they are one of the requirment courses for DH and i thought taking thses classes would also refresh my memory but i dont know for sure if dental school is even going to consider my new GPA because i know
that i did 11 untis and if you want to apply in university they need 22 untis i am going to talk the counseler of ASP and see if they consider my GPA or not or of they want me to take more clasess to make my GPA accountable.

My advice for those who already gave part 1 try to get in masters prog if you can.Goodluck.
Sady

am very much new to this forum... but it seems to be exactly what i was looking for.
am done with my part 1 and planning to get my evaluation done from ECE, IERF, WES... all 3 of them... yes u guessed it right ..am expecting a very low GPA. :scared:
now my question is did anyone here ever applied to WES?.. they ask for the mark sheats from the controller of exam and with sealed envelop and stuff. do i really need to do all that stuff? is there anyone who sent the photocopies like the way we do for ECE and it still worked for him/her???
thanx
best wishes to everyone in the forum!

ameloblastoma said:
am very much new to this forum... but it seems to be exactly what i was looking for.
am done with my part 1 and planning to get my evaluation done from ECE, IERF, WES... all 3 of them... yes u guessed it right ..am expecting a very low GPA. :scared:
now my question is did anyone here ever applied to WES?.. they ask for the mark sheats from the controller of exam and with sealed envelop and stuff. do i really need to do all that stuff? is there anyone who sent the photocopies like the way we do for ECE and it still worked for him/her???
thanx
best wishes to everyone in the forum!

Hi I have the same questions too i have me ece evaluation i am from pakistan if anyone did WES IERF please let us know.

thanx sady

hi

i had a wes evaluation done last yr. i had to mail a transript request form to the university in india and they had sent the transcripts directly to the wes.

hi

i had a wes evaluation done last yr. i had to mail a transript request form to the university in india and they had sent the transcripts directly to the wes.

I just got my ece GPA. which is as low as i expected.
my stats are...

NBDE Part 1 .. 89
GPA.. 2.29
TOEFL .. would be taking it this week.

anybody know of someone who might have got somewhere with this kinda combination of GPA and Part 1 score???
should i still keep hopes or start making myself accept that i probably wont get any call?

I am waiting for my IERF report... wonder if it might give me a lill better GPA.

hi ameloblastoma,
did u try berlitz.com for evaluation, it is acceptable for suny baffalo university, but when i called the evaluation service , they had no clue what i was talking about, if you have any luck with them ,please tell me, thanks

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
Yeah, I'm just wondering ... how did you make it out of dental school with a sub-2.0 GPA. Where did you graduate from ?
If I were you, I would call the admission offices of ALL the dental school advanced standing programs (or e-mail them) and ask them driectly, right in the face, if GPA's in general (not yours specifically) would negatively affect an application.
I know right of the back of my head of 3 schools which do not even factor in oversea GPA's for admission (PM me if you need to know more).
Otherwise, if your mind is set for the hygiene program, then I wish you the best of luck, and you will find plenty of imformative threads here on the pre-requisites/deadlines and so forth.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.
Hi! i have been reading this thread all along hoping to get some solution to improve my low GPA 2.69,i will be really gratefull if someone can share the names of the 3 above mentioned schools.
Also ,i came across suggestion of doing a 2 year master's course,is it possible to get into master's program with below 3 gpa,as most of the graduate school websites clearly mention requirement of minimum gpa of 3.Also,does master's in science subjects,mean master's in oral biology,oral science?has someone with low gpa got admission in such program?

hi..i have similar concerns..i got my gpa from ece n its come to be 2.71..n i feel am doomed now...coz i heard below 3 one doesn't even get an interview...i feel like am done now...what if i get real good scores in part 1 n part2....does anyone actually know anyone who had similar gpa n did get into a dental school..??i really need some light somewhere...plzzz help...

hi..i have similar concerns..i got my gpa from ece n its come to be 2.71..n i feel am doomed now...coz i heard below 3 one doesn't even get an interview...i feel like am done now...what if i get real good scores in part 1 n part2....does anyone actually know anyone who had similar gpa n did get into a dental school..??i really need some light somewhere...plzzz help...

Never believe in what you "hear". In this forum you have to learn to separate facts from things people say just because they heard them from somone who heard them from somebody else and so on.... I have a GPA 2.97 and I am in a program already. GPA is the last thing schools consider in the selection process. So go ahead, take your NDBE and TOEFL and apply to schools.

sj 35
thanx for the reply...its helped...am on my way now...hopefully something will work out...

hi ! i ve been reading this thread and now i m so worried abt my gpa. i havent done my evaluation yet but i will soon. but the thing is, i had failed in the 1st year and 2nd year and in 3rd year since i used to get sick during the exam times but then i got good scores when i cleared the failed subjects. does this failing mark negative in the evaluation? how do they evaluate ? does anyone here know abt it ?

hi!gurl power..plz check ur pm

hi neli!
can you please emailme the name of 3 programs which do not check the gpa? i am despeerate to know that my email add is [email protected]
thanks

hi! regarding low gpa's, i have one too. WES is 2.49, part I is 81, toefl is 620 (paper based). what is my chances of getting called for an interview. I am going to get part II in december. Please advise me.

hi mine is the same situation. my stats are

gpa:2.24
nbde part 1 92

are there any chances of getting admission with these scores.please email me [email protected]

hey guys,
hi everyone on this thread who hav a low gpa, try to get evaluations from diff evaluation services, and look at school websites which schools accept what evaluations, and since we cant change gpas, it is really a big problem , but we can do nothing abt it, try to improve other things on application, scores, resume, work exp, letters of recommendation and be honest, confident and happy in the interviews..........and pray to god, and a word of advice, the recent trend of more dental schools turning to one evaluation service that gives usually lower gpas shows that they r becoming aware of this issue so try not to post very precise facts n names on the website.by posting it here with precise numbers n names, we are harming ourselves.resort to pms.all the best guys.also i know people with very low gpas in low 2's who got in good advanced standing programs,so those with scores with 92 and 90 take it easy n apply everywhere ,but apply wisely to schools wchich accept other evaluation results where u hav a higher gpa.low gpa makes it hard to get in ,but still there r some doors n windows open......

my gpa 2.54
part190
any chances for me to get the admission.

thanks godbless that's encouraging.

hey can u guyz tell me what are the masters program beign offered and what is the requirement for that...as i will not be staying very long in this country so will it help to take the masters program and then go back to my own country?

hi..i ogt gpa of 2.34 and i am preparing for admissions to dental school...do u think i have any chance of geting admission?and which are the universities which wud acept gpa of 2.3 and part 1 score ranging from 86-89?
please help me out..i am really very worried abt that..please..
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

If i were you,,, i would send a letter with each application,, explaining my low gpa... and u should have very good excuses..