Any current or a prospective student in Florida??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colljlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone on here can give advice on MOT schools in Florida. I've been doing some research about the schools and reading all of posts on this forum, which I find to be very helpful.

I'm a UNF Alumni with a B.S. in Public Health. I'm 30 yrs old and currently working a full-time job. I've been out of school for awhile and the thought of going back to school is a little scary. I want to make sure I "get all of my ducks in a row" before going back. Since it's been awhile since I graduated I wanted to re-take my pre-reqs to have a better chance of getting in. From reading the posts I also see that I need more than the required 50-80 hrs of observation in different rehab settings.
I would like advice on:
What Florida schools you would recommend?
The different rehab settings I should look into for observation hours.
Any specific order to take pre-req's in.
How much do you think just the MOT program would cost?
Studying for the GRE - is it better to pay for a class or get a bunch of different books
Can I work part-time and go to school?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my 30's and have spent the past 2 years slowly taking the pre-reqs while working full time. It had been 7 years since I finished my masters when I started back at a community college. I'm applying this year and haven't done any observation hours, so will be cramming those in soon.

For your first class back, try to take something you might find easy. I wouldn't recommend A&P right away.

On studying for the GRE, it depends on how much time and money you have. Also how well you would do without any preparation. And if you learn better from classes or are a fast reader like me and do well with books.

Download the new version of PowerPrep II 2.0 from the ETS website. Take a practice test to get a score but don't do the analytical writing section. That will give you your estimated grade for the verbal/quantitative sections.

Go to quizlet.com and download the word lists for the GRE Hit Parade. Review those periodically over several months.

Check out one of the GRE books from the library, and just read the section on analytical writing to understand the philosophy behind how they grade. Stuff like using transition words.

Then pay $13 to take ETS's analytical writing practice sections with e-Rater.

Once you've done that, you will have an idea what you need to work on. If you do the book route, I wouldn't do more than two books. Just study them thoroughly.

Depending where you live while in school and whether you attend an in-state public or a private school, you could be looking at $15K to $100K plus living expenses.

If you are able to handle A's in two substantial college classes part-time while working full-time, maybe you could consider working part time while in OT grad school full-time. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it unless you found a part-time MOT program.

Last edited: