Program-Specific Info / Q's Any current Shenandoah University students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KEot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was recently accepted into SU....and I want to know more about it! If you are a current student in the OT program at Shenandoah can you answer a few questions? What is the program like? Do you like how it has online components? What is the facility like? I have a lot of questions so if anyone is willing to speak with me PLEASE send me personal message on here!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted at SU for Fall of 2015 also and have sooo many questions as well! Did you by chance get a reply from anyone currently in the program?

I'm with you guys!! ^ I will be attending the Northern VA campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there is one woman who goes (or went) there who sporadically participates in these forums. She may have graduated by now since she started there the year before they started the NOVA campus. I remember her from discussions of online OT classes, online pre-reqs, or discussions about using Northern Virginia Community College for pre-reqs.

I have also been accepted into the program for the North Virginia campus. I am curious if anyone knows where most students live in relation to the school (since only a few days are on campus). I am also curious if anyone has any additional information about the program. @jstasak I am happy to meet a future classmate! Hopefully we can chat more and figure everything out. :)

I will also be attending the NoVA campus!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Awesome! @almichael15 are you from that area? I'm trying to figure out some living options.
I'm not I'm about two hours away. Ive looked at apartments online a little bit and it seems like Leesburg is an expensive area. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about it :)

I'm getting excited to meet my new Northern Virginia OT classmates! :) Anyone find out any new information about the program or when we are going to sign up for the courses?

I just called them the other day asking when we will get more information. My counselor informed me that they will be mailing more information shortly and that they usually wait till the Spring semester has ended before they send anything out. Hope this helps! Can't wait to meet all of you :) Also, I am looking to live about 45 mins away.. (around D.C. since the program is only on campus a few days a week). Does anyone think that will be too far? I don't mind driving, just don't want to be too far away from where I am studying.

I just called them the other day asking when we will get more information. My counselor informed me that they will be mailing more information shortly and that they usually wait till the Spring semester has ended before they send anything out. Hope this helps! Can't wait to meet all of you :) Also, I am looking to live about 45 mins away.. (around D.C. since the program is only on campus a few days a week). Does anyone think that will be too far? I don't mind driving, just don't want to be too far away from where I am studying.
Thanks for the info! :) I'm honestly not sure where I'll be living but I'm almost positive I'll be driving at least 45 minutes to get to the program. So I think you'll be good since it's not all the time. I think with the cost of living there will be a good bit of people that travel.

Hi guys!

I'll be attending SUOT in Winchester. I've found apts/townhouses for a great rental price and I'm looking for roommates. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm not I'm about two hours away. Ive looked at apartments online a little bit and it seems like Leesburg is an expensive area. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about it :)

Hey, I'm trying to pm you, but I think your profile is on private. Are you still looking for housing in the nova area?

I be attending su for their dpt program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current SU Occupational Therapy students, how do you like the Hybrid program? I was just accepted and am a little concerned about the amount of online work/learning for a Master's program. Feedback? Thoughts?

Current SU Occupational Therapy students, how do you like the Hybrid program? I was just accepted and am a little concerned about the amount of online work/learning for a Master's program. Feedback? Thoughts?

I have also applied to this program!! When did you receive notification of admissions? Last time I heard back from them was Dec 2, saying my application was complete and it was submitted for review. They already held interviews? I thought Shenandoah was an interviewing school. Regardless, if you feel comfortable would you mind sharing your stats with me? Thank you.

I have also applied to this program!! When did you receive notification of admissions? Last time I heard back from them was Dec 2, saying my application was complete and it was submitted for review. They already held interviews? I thought Shenandoah was an interviewing school. Regardless, if you feel comfortable would you mind sharing your stats with me? Thank you.

@amyOTpeds I recieved an email earlier this week about my acceptance. I have 14 days to send in my confirmation with a $500 deposit. I also submitted my complete application in the first week of August.
Have you heard anything about their Hybrid program? what are your thoughts about that? I will message you my stats.

@amyOTpeds I recieved an email earlier this week about my acceptance. I have 14 days to send in my confirmation with a $500 deposit. I also submitted my complete application in the first week of August.
Have you heard anything about their Hybrid program? what are your thoughts about that? I will message you my stats.
My OTCAS got verified Oct 9, so maybe they are still reviewing my application. I'm assuming the class might be full by the time they get to my application. I'm surprised they didn't do an interview. I sent you my stats, I'm really happy that you got in, This is my second cycle applying, so I am hoping that I get into any school. If I end up getting in I will let you know. But as of now, no notification.

Also, I've heard that because its a Hybrid program, there is a lot of learning to do on your own when it comes to theoretical material, however the faculty is really helpful and the practical experiences are great. From what I've heard its possible to have a part-time job and still do well in the program, but that's if you have done the whole work and school at the same time thing before. Time management is something I feel like I mastered only this year when I worked and finished up a prereq at the same time. All the best in OT school! Excited for any fellow OT applicant always!!!

Could you also please let me know your stats? I am anxiously awaiting an email as this is not ny first time applying to OT school. Congrats!!!

@OTislife CONGRATS ON GETTING INTO THE OT PROGRAM! How awesome! I'm sorry to hop on the band wagon, but I also applied to SU so would you mind messaging me your stats as well? I am anxiously awaiting a decision! :)

When did you apply ? I would also love to know your stats! I applied October 2nd, I am super anxious! @amyOTpeds

Hey! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE! I got accepted into the Occupational Therapy Program at Shenandoah last week and was told that I would receive the official letter on letterhead with the provisions! However, I haven't received the letter yet. Have you?

Hey! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE! I got accepted into the Occupational Therapy Program at Shenandoah last week and was told that I would receive the official letter on letterhead with the provisions! However, I haven't received the letter yet. Have you?
When did you have your application in?? Wondering what this means if I haven't heard anything

I sent my application in on September 14th, and it was verified October 12th. The admissions coordinator said they will be sending in all acceptances before Christmas if possible, but if nor by February.

I received an offer of admission for their Northern VA campus last week via email. I sent materials to OTCAS on October 12 and was verified on Oct. 22. I'm still waiting for a letter in the mail.

I received an offer of admission for their Northern VA campus last week via email. I sent materials to OTCAS on October 12 and was verified on Oct. 22. I'm still waiting for a letter in the mail.
Congrats to you!!! I was accepted to the NOVA campus as well and waiting on the official letterhead. Is Shenandoah your top choice??

Congrats to you as well, FutureOT2016. I would say it is my top choice as the location and hybrid program are the best fit for my current situation. I also visited the NOVA campus and met the faculty and students, and really liked what I saw. So I will be accepting. How about you- is it your top choice? Will you be accepting?

I sent my application in on September 14th, and it was verified October 12th. The admissions coordinator said they will be sending in all acceptances before Christmas if possible, but if nor by February.
Thanks for the response and Congrats!! Hoping this means I still have a chance

Hi OTislife... I was accepted at this time last year and just got finished my first semester in this hybrid program. I don't mind the hybrid format. We do a lot of our more hands on and group type of activities on our in class day. There are also a good bit of discussion boards so you get to still interact with your classmates and see where other people are coming from. The program can be somewhat disorganized but this is most likely because we have new professors right now, so hopefully for Y1's this fall it'll be a little more organized. Also, you definitely have to be a self-directed learner and set up a schedule for yourself, but I think this is expected from going into a hybrid program. You can message me if you have any more questions. :)

Hi OTislife... I was accepted at this time last year and just got finished my first semester in this hybrid program. I don't mind the hybrid format. We do a lot of our more hands on and group type of activities on our in class day. There are also a good bit of discussion boards so you get to still interact with your classmates and see where other people are coming from. The program can be somewhat disorganized but this is most likely because we have new professors right now, so hopefully for Y1's this fall it'll be a little more organized. Also, you definitely have to be a self-directed learner and set up a schedule for yourself, but I think this is expected from going into a hybrid program. You can message me if you have any more questions. :)
I just graduated from the program (as in, a week or so ago) and all of this is accurate. The hybrid format is not for people who need a lot of hand-holding and who need external motivating. My cohort was a diverse mix of ages, so many of us were older, with real-life experience (jobs, families, etc) which is why many of us chose the hybrid format, but also why we were successful in that format. For young students with no experience outside of college, it might be a little bit overwhelming if they're not used to taking so much ownership over their own learning process. The first year of the program is more foundational work, though my understanding is that they've tried to add a little more hands-on than in previous years, whereas the second year is much more about the practical aspects of evaluation and treatment. I will say that there has been some staff turnover over the past 2 years, due in part to the addition of a second cohort at the Northern Virginia campus in Leesburg, so I don't know what it will be like for those going into the program, but hopefully all changes will only improve things. There is a new Dean of Health Sciences, who is great and that should help things as well.

@FutureOT2016 , @tofu4you CONGRATS!! I was accepted to the Winchester campus... I'm not sure if it's the same one as y'alls? What are your stats? I have not received a letter in the mail but can call the Hornet's center and make your payment if you're out of town during the 14 day acceptance period or just want reserve your spot.
I wonder what the difference between the two campuses are... @adawn09 , @c2902 and it's great to hear y'all like it!

I received an email today saying they weren't able to look at all of the applications yet and that I would find out if I was accepted after the break. If so many people are already accepted how will there be openings left?

Hi everyone! I applied back in October and just received my letter in the mail yesterday! I was accepted into the Northern Virginia campus. I'm so excited! I am concerned about the hybrid program though. I have so many questions about it.

Hi everyone! I applied back in October and just received my letter in the mail yesterday! I was accepted into the Northern Virginia campus. I'm so excited! I am concerned about the hybrid program though. I have so many questions about it.
Hi, I was also accepted to the OT Program. I just mailed out my acceptance letter and the $500 fee.

I just graduated from the program, and there are a few others on this thread that are current students; feel free to message with questions!

I just graduated from the program, and there are a few others on this thread that are current students; feel free to message with questions!

Thanks! Congrats on graduating! Did you like the hybrid format? That's what I'm mostly worried about.

Have you heard anything back lately? I turned in my application very early and still haven't heard a thing.

The only thing I have heard is they had not had a chance to get to my application yet to review it and that they would be reviewing them after the New Year. Waiting game...sigh

I received an email today saying they weren't able to look at all of the applications yet and that I would find out if I was accepted after the break. If so many people are already accepted how will there be openings left?

I'm wondering the same thing too!! Ugh, maybe they are waiting to see who accepts within the 14 days and then go through the rest?

@FutureOT2016 , @tofu4you CONGRATS!! I was accepted to the Winchester campus... I'm not sure if it's the same one as y'alls? What are your stats? I have not received a letter in the mail but can call the Hornet's center and make your payment if you're out of town during the 14 day acceptance period or just want reserve your spot.
I wonder what the difference between the two campuses are... @adawn09 , @c2902 and it's great to hear y'all like it!
I was accepted to the NOVA Campus because it's close to home! My stats are 3.45 GPA 3.6 Prerequisite GPA. 200 hours of shadowing hours. I received the letterhead finally but requested an extension

Last edited:
Congrats to you as well, FutureOT2016. I would say it is my top choice as the location and hybrid program are the best fit for my current situation. I also visited the NOVA campus and met the faculty and students, and really liked what I saw. So I will be accepting. How about you- is it your top choice? Will you be accepting?
It is my top choice, however I am concerned about the cost being significantlyhigher than another school that I applied to in the area.

It is my top choice, however I am concerned about the cost being significantlyhigher than another school that I applied to in the area.
Do you currently live with family? SU is expensive (because it's not a state school), but if you relocate, you could be upping your cost of living if you now have to pay rent, etc somewhere, so even if the school is cheaper, it may end up being the same in terms of total costs if you now have to factor in living expenses. Something to think about.

Does anyone have an idea of general range starting salary for a new grad OT in NOVA? I'm moving to the area!

Does anyone have an idea of general range starting salary for a new grad OT in NOVA? I'm moving to the area!
$60,000 to $70,000 a year but alot of job postings post $85,000 to upwards of $100,000 even for new graduates.

$60,000 to $70,000 a year but alot of job postings post $85,000 to upwards of $100,000 even for new graduates.
Depends on the setting, too. For example, in some of the school systems here in NOVA, you'll start at just barely over $50K, but that's also for a 10-month a year job, so if you pick up, say, a PRN position at one of the hospitals and work over school holidays and summer break, you will bump up your average yearly salary a bit.

Does anyone who will be attending the NOVA campus for fall 2016 know when we find out more information?

Does anyone who will be attending the NOVA campus for fall 2016 know when we find out more information?
They won't send out information for the incoming class until this summer; it's only January, folks (if, by information, you mean stuff about courses and textbooks, etc). Plus, in case you haven't seen the news, the entire South and Mid-Atlantic is under 3 feet of snow. SU has been closed since Friday, so for those waiting to hear about admissions, give them some time.