This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

consideringmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other Dallas area non trads here starting pre req classes this fall?

(Either through official or unofficial DIY post bacc - perhaps we can get in touch to possibly form study groups or support groups if there's interest. )

Feel free to post with where you're enrolling / what classes you're taking, or PM me if you'd prefer not to post publicly!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any other Dallas area non trads here starting pre req classes this fall?

(Either through official or unofficial DIY post bacc - perhaps we can get in touch to possibly form study groups or support groups if there's interest. )

Feel free to post with where you're enrolling / what classes you're taking, or PM me if you'd prefer not to post publicly!

I was from Dallas and am starting Med school in a few weeks. Look into Dr Kouadio at northlake or tarrant county. By far the best chemistry professor. He will push you, help you, teach you, and prep for Mcat. He's amazing. He teaches gen chems and ochems. I did accelerated ochem 1 and 2 in one semester and he's the man to take it with.

If you take him, let him know his friend that's now in New Mexico recommended him

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Is his textbook still required?

Yes, I still have mine from class. He actually updates it frequently based on student feedback. I gave him some of my old Kaplan Mcat books as well and he knows how they test for it. He's sent kids to TCOM, pharm programs and more. Two of my classmates did MSN, and ones in CRNA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a nontraditional who is currently taking organic chemistry 1 at UTA DIY.

I'm a non-traditional non-traditional in that I had to take chem and physics for engineering, and was originally biomedical engineering before I switched to EE (so I have biology as well). The only requirements I have left are orgo and biochemistry.

I'm going to take biochemistry online next semester and then take Orgo 2 next spring , while taking the MCAT shortly after. (can't take orgo in the fall because classes are during the day and I have a full time job).

Feel free to reach out about classes at UTA, or about anything else!

I had taken most of my pre-med stuff at UNT most were pretty solid waiting to hear back from TCOM its my number one but already have 4 accptences at other texas schools.

It's nice to meet you all! I decided to enroll at UTD for a DIY post bacc. I don't have any of the pre-reqs really, so I'll be starting from the first semesters of Physics and Chem most likely this fall.

I haven't decided if I'm going to take a math yet. (I got AP credit for AP Physics and AP Calculus BC over 15 years ago, and I don't remember much from either of those classes... and it sounds like a lot of med schools don't take AP credit or require you to take a year of college level courses for those anyway?) I'm a bit anxious, since it's been over 10 years since I've been in college...hope I can do well. It looks like I'll be in daytime classes with almost all traditional undergrads, too, since UTD doesn't offer much in the way of evening science courses. (UTA and UNT would be unfortunately a bit of a long commute for me.) UTA & UNT folks - hope we'll cross paths sometime, and good luck with yoru courses!

Anyone else taking science / math at UTD this fall?

I was from Dallas and am starting Med school in a few weeks. Look into Dr Kouadio at northlake or tarrant county. By far the best chemistry professor. He will push you, help you, teach you, and prep for Mcat. He's amazing. He teaches gen chems and ochems. I did accelerated ochem 1 and 2 in one semester and he's the man to take it with.

If you take him, let him know his friend that's now in New Mexico recommended him

Good old Dr. Kay Kouadio --- had him for Gen Chem 1 and 2 back in the early 2000s and wound up at TCOM --- 2 things for sure in life -- taxes and calculations in chemistry --- you're doing fine.....

Very nice man who really took an interest in his students.

I'm a nontraditional who is currently taking organic chemistry 1 at UTA DIY.

I'm a non-traditional non-traditional in that I had to take chem and physics for engineering, and was originally biomedical engineering before I switched to EE (so I have biology as well). The only requirements I have left are orgo and biochemistry.

I'm going to take biochemistry online next semester and then take Orgo 2 next spring , while taking the MCAT shortly after. (can't take orgo in the fall because classes are during the day and I have a full time job).

Feel free to reach out about classes at UTA, or about anything else!

Who are you taking it with? I graduated from UTA five years ago and after doing some DIY post-bac at TCC I'm taking a couple of classes there next semester (toxicology and retaking immuno). I was going to retake organic 2 there but I had a really great professor for organic 1 at TCC and really want to stay with him.

I don't know if I can handle taking Dr. Strom again. Nice guy but just not very interesting.

Who are you taking it with? I graduated from UTA five years ago and after doing some DIY post-bac at TCC I'm taking a couple of classes there next semester (toxicology and retaking immuno). I was going to retake organic 2 there but I had a really great professor for organic 1 at TCC and really want to stay with him.

I don't know if I can handle taking Dr. Strom again. Nice guy but just not very interesting.

Dr. Purgason for toxicology? She knows her stuff but juggles too many things and that can make the class difficult. I forget immuno professors name but took him for virology. He's great and super smart.

Dr. Purgason for toxicology? She knows her stuff but juggles too many things and that can make the class difficult. I forget immuno professors name but took him for virology. He's great and super smart.

Good to know for Dr. Purgason, hopefully it will be fine. There aren't many new classes left for me to choose from and it sounds interesting at the very least.

Dr. Roner teaches immuno and yeah he is pretty great. I took the class originally as a 2 week course and just didn't put in the effort so I ended up with a C. His tests are very reasonable.

Hey Kamakazi5 taking orgo 1 with Professor Mandal. He's ok. not good not bad, but I've been relying on the book and not on his teaching. I don't know how good professors are at UTA in general, so I would take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I'm at least learning a lot so that's good. His class is pretty easy in general. He doesn't really have a lot of detail in his tests which is good for grades but bad for learning.

I'm at UTA this semester. Between work, school, and studying for the MCAT, a support/study group sounds perfect!