any database/resource to help pick medical schools to appy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medin2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am going to apply in June. is there any database/resource to help me to pick which schools to apply for?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

I am going to apply in June. is there any database/resource to help me to pick which schools to apply for?

thanks
@WedgeDawg had a spreadsheet that was pretty good. Check out his posting to find it. MSAR is your friend too.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR - it's 20 or 25 bucks, but it MORE than pays for itself if it saves you from applying to even one school

MSAR is a must. You can also post a thread in WAMC (though I would use both MSAR and if you want, my spreadsheet in my sig to pick a preliminary list of schools) and friendly people will help you out. Read the rules at the top of the WAMC forum before you post though to help with format!

Help me to help you help me to help you help me to help you
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
There's a cool resource called Student Doctor Network

People get a lot of help with school list composition in the WAMC subforum (WAMC = what are my chances)

Dear all,

thanks

In addition to the MSAR, I would recommend skimming the most recent School Specific Discussions threads for the schools you're most interested in applying to.

I built part of my school list based on the "Applications", "Interviewed" and "Matriculated" figures in MSAR, especially for schools that considered me OOS. For a couple of the newer, smaller schools on my list, I was baffled when they recently started reporting that they received almost double the number of applications I saw they had received in MSAR. I'd expected their numbers to increase, but not double within a year.

Eventually, I realized that the figures reported in MSAR don't reflect the most recent cycle. This isn't a huge deal for established schools, where the actual percentages are unlikely to change dramatically, but if you've got a handful of new schools on your list, it helps to have the most recent info. In browsing the School Specific Discussions threads for those schools from last year, the most recent info was there. Wasn't catastrophic, but would've been nice to know.