Any dental assistants or lab techs out there applying to dental school soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dshen92129

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious because I am a dental assistant myself.. and also in the military..

Members don't see this ad.

Dental assistant applying this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
6 months. Yourself?

Me! I just started assisting like 3 weeks ago and I e-mailed the dental schools to let them know about my new job.

P.S. Thank you for your service! @dshen92129

Me! I just started assisting like 3 weeks ago and I e-mailed the dental schools to let them know about my new job.

P.S. Thank you for your service! @dshen92129

oh thats awesome!! congrats on getting the job! i hope the dental assisting is going well for you! it is definitely a great field to start.. it will give you a leg up in dental school! I appreciate that!

6 months. Yourself?
I won't be applying hopefully by early 18' as soon as I start my DAT

6 months. Yourself?
I have been a dental assistant for 8 years in the military. I have seen sooooooooooo much dentistry so I feel like that gives me a huge huge advantage. Plus, I work with like 100 or so dentist so information is everywhere, we also have most of the specialties in my clinic so i've seen pretty much seen everything.

That's awesome! Good luck to you when you apply in the future. I'm sure you'll get in!

I also applied this cycle. Dental assistant for a little over a year now.

I assist in an ortho office and am applying this year. It's been an amazing talking point in my interviews so far and the hand skills are hard to beat prior to a dental program.

I assist in an ortho office and am applying this year. It's been an amazing talking point in my interviews so far and the hand skills are hard to beat prior to a dental program.
I have done ortho a few times since I've been in the military.. I find it kind of boring (etch,bond, composite, curing light x4, x5).. but that's just me.... I find ortho very repetitive but I know they make a ridiculous amount of money doing very little dental work.. not to insult any orthodontists out there.. I am pretty sure it takes an artistic eye to make sure everything is symmetrical

where did you apply too??
Rutgers, NYU, Temple, Columbia, VCU, and Stony Brook I have interviews for. And Pitt, Upenn, Buffalo, and Marquette I'm still waiting to hear back from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers, NYU, Temple, Columbia, VCU, and Stony Brook I have interviews for. And Pitt, Upenn, Buffalo, and Marquette I'm still waiting to hear back from.

Wow great schools I have some dentists I work with that went to a few of those schools.. (Upenn, NYU, Marquette, and I know a professor and VCU)

I have done ortho a few times since I've been in the military.. I find it kind of boring (etch,bond, composite, curing light x4, x5).. but that's just me.... I find ortho very repetitive but I know they make a ridiculous amount of money doing very little dental work.. not to insult any orthodontists out there.. I am pretty sure it takes an artistic eye to make sure everything is symmetrical
Yeah. I am pretty sure I don't want to practice as an ortho, like, 95% sure ha.

As for assisting, I like the autonomy. All dentistry is repetitive at a point. The same can be said of any profession at the end of it.

I've had one interview so far so keeping my fingers crossed but I'm considering becoming a dental assistant / lab tech if I do not get accepted this cycle to continue to improve my application for the next cycle and gain dental experience. I've already had lots of dental shadowing and volunteering so figured my next step would be something more hands on. I've already graduated and am taking a few classes post bacc so figured it would be a good job to have between cycles.

So my question is for any current dental assistants / lab techs - how did you become one? Did you take a course to become certified or find a dentist to train you in their office?

Thanks!!

I've had one interview so far so keeping my fingers crossed but I'm considering becoming a dental assistant / lab tech if I do not get accepted this cycle to continue to improve my application for the next cycle and gain dental experience. I've already had lots of dental shadowing and volunteering so figured my next step would be something more hands on. I've already graduated and am taking a few classes post bacc so figured it would be a good job to have between cycles.

So my question is for any current dental assistants / lab techs - how did you become one? Did you take a course to become certified or find a dentist to train you in their office?

Thanks!!

I live in an area where there are tons of dental offices so what I did was print about 10 copies of my resume and tried my luck by stopping by local offices to see if anyone was hiring. Luckily, about the 4th office I stopped at interviewed me right on the spot. Once I was hired I took a 3 month course and state exam to obtain my dental radiology licence. Everything else was on the job training. I really love it. Its a great experience and if you have the chance I strongly encourage you to do so.

I live in an area where there are tons of dental offices so what I did was print about 10 copies of my resume and tried my luck by stopping by local offices to see if anyone was hiring. Luckily, about the 4th office I stopped at interviewed me right on the spot. Once I was hired I took a 3 month course and state exam to obtain my dental radiology licence. Everything else was on the job training. I really love it. Its a great experience and if you have the chance I strongly encourage you to do so.
Thank you!! I'll definitely try that!!

Over a year working as a DA. Applying this cycle! Learned soooooo much it's crazy. My bosses are such good teachers

Reactions: 2 users
Over a year working as a DA. Applying this cycle! Learned soooooo much it's crazy. My bosses are such good teachers
that's pretty cool! You do get exposed to so much while you are a DA.. the job Is even better when you have a dentist who is willing to bring you under their wing!

I'm a CDA! I have been assisting for five years and I applied this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you you think working as a DA gave you an advantage over other applicants? Even the ones who may be in clubs, etc?

being a CDA will give you a pretty good advantage.. chair siding is a huge part of dentistry.. when you know both the roles treatment is much more smoother.

Do you you think working as a DA gave you an advantage over other applicants? Even the ones who may be in clubs, etc?
It really does cause we know instrument names, treatment room prep, safe disposal/treatment, making treatment plans, knowing tooth numbering system and giving proper (basic) oral hygiene instructions! Among many things and also we know codes and what different surfaces of the tooth are called (occlusal, buccal, lingual etc) I think knowing that stuff provides a huge asset when entering unfamiliar territory and transitioning lol

Reactions: 3 users
It really does cause we know instrument names, treatment room prep, safe disposal/treatment, making treatment plans, knowing tooth numbering system and giving proper (basic) oral hygiene instructions! Among many things and also we know codes and what different surfaces of the tooth are called (occlusal, buccal, lingual etc) I think knowing that stuff provides a huge asset when entering unfamiliar territory and transitioning lol

That makes sense; going to dental school with some experience is better. Wish i could do that, but all jobs require certification over here:(

That makes sense; going to dental school with some experience is better. Wish i could do that, but all jobs require certification over here:(
I had to do a certification as well!

Reactions: 1 users
California doesn't desire certification to assist, only an X-ray license if taking radiographs & possibly infection control course. I highly recommend anyone with a gap year or flexible schedule to find a dentist whom is willing to train you! Look on Craigslist, or offices around your area. Offer to start "sterilization and end of day clean up," show up, do your duties, and prove you want to be there. Any dentist will LOVE someone wanting to be IN dentistry rather than just working to make the money. Especially if you will be there for a few years, even 1! You learn a lot about the patient/practice management aspect of dentistry working as an assistant, especially if the doctor(s) are good mentors, and motivated to help you with the app cycle & transition into dental school!

I think it would be an advantage once we start dental school. Its also possibly an advantage when applying because as stated above we are VERY familiar with the field of dentistry. But I think if you already applied this cycle and can get in without assisting, dental school will help you learn all of these skills as well. Its not like you need to assist before dental school but it certainly will give you a head start on a lot of the skills. NJ also requires x-ray cerification. I took a 3 month course and state exam for about $100 and got certified. I'm pretty sure this is typical of most states but some require you to be a CDA.

I think it would be an advantage once we start dental school. Its also possibly an advantage when applying because as stated above we are VERY familiar with the field of dentistry. But I think if you already applied this cycle and can get in without assisting, dental school will help you learn all of these skills as well. Its not like you need to assist before dental school but it certainly will give you a head start on a lot of the skills. NJ also requires x-ray cerification. I took a 3 month course and state exam for about $100 and got certified. I'm pretty sure this is typical of most states but some require you to be a CDA.

Three months?! Mine was one day in CA

Reactions: 2 users