Any DPT students with babies out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aityn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on going for the DPT degree pretty soon. If all goes well, my husband and I will also be having our first baby some time prior to that. The baby will be at least 1 year old when I start the program. To help us out, the grandparents will be visiting for extended time periods to babysit.
While this sounds like a good plan with help, backup, and all the support that I can get, I am still worried that it might be too much with the baby. Should I be? After all, the program will be the same as a full time job, no?
Is this crazy? Or am I making a big deal out of it? We don't really want to wait with having babies either.
Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are two parents in my program. Its brutal but if you make the decision to proceed, you will find a way to survive and maintain good parenting.

I know of a few that went through PT school with a young child. They made it through, but what was most important was the family and classmate support. As long as you all know the time commitment away from home, then you will be fine. Even better is if you have classmates that are willing to help out (babysitting, etc). I had a few in my class that helped babysit.

Each person will deal with your situation differently, but with the support, you should be able to get through as a great parent and with a DPT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is like a full time job. But a full time job doesn't require 4 or more hours of additional studying after the work day. If you can do that with an infant in the house then my hats off to you because you are SUPERWOMAN!!!!!:)

I have a 16 month old daughter and will be starting PT school this upcoming fall. It will be a balancing act for sure, but no more than when I was a working parent. I had a very intense job before I had her. I used to leave the house for work before 7am and get home around 7pm...then I had to do work at home. I worked many weekends as well. I hated that life, but I also hated my job. Now I will be going to school for something I care about and have my family to come home to.

I think as long as you have a good support network and dedication (to both your work and your family), you will succeed.

I am currently a 1st year student and have a 3 year old and one on the way. It is definitely doable. Just prioritize your time and remember that you don't have to get an A+ on every test. If you destroy your family relationships at the cost of getting an A instead of a B in a class is it really worth it? Anyways, that is my opinion.

Thanks everyone for pitching in on the topic. I was a little dismayed by the shy number of replies at first - it made me think that DPT students with babies are either non-existent or are up to their neck parenting/studying with no time for forums. But with the addition of the last few posts, I am refreshed in my drive to go for it (having a family and getting a degree at the same time).
I have been considering the profession for half a year now - first thinking it was a dream that was way out of my reach (I'm not a science grad, but have been fascinated by medicine all my life, thanks to a family of medics - I read up on health issues and cures on my spare time - ":cool:"). But a few months ago, I heard someone think outloud, saying something so cheesy, yet so relevant, "years go by so fast, yet we go through life as-is." Don't mean to get all sappy, but the only time in life that 'as-is' is desirable is on the back shelves of IKEA. Respect to all of you who are pursuing your dreams, despite....all of it.

Thanks everyone for pitching in on the topic. I was a little dismayed by the shy number of replies at first - it made me think that DPT students with babies are either non-existent or are up to their neck parenting/studying with no time for forums. But with the addition of the last few posts, I am refreshed in my drive to go for it (having a family and getting a degree at the same time).
I have been considering the profession for half a year now - first thinking it was a dream that was way out of my reach (I'm not a science grad, but have been fascinated by medicine all my life, thanks to a family of medics - I read up on health issues and cures on my spare time - ":cool:"). But a few months ago, I heard someone think outloud, saying something so cheesy, yet so relevant, "years go by so fast, yet we go through life as-is." Don't mean to get all sappy, but the only time in life that 'as-is' is desirable is on the back shelves of IKEA. Respect to all of you who are pursuing your dreams, despite....all of it.

Nice quote. I totally agree. When I was leaving my old job, people had a hard time understanding why. I figured that I could continue what I was doing, hating my job but doing it just to get by in life. But I figured, life is too short and being miserable with what I was doing would just shorten it and rob me of true happiness in life with my family. If you figure out what you want and what you truly would enjoy, then just do it! You'll figure out how to make it all work if it's what you really want. Good luck to you, Aityn.

I am currently a first year student. My husband and I are considering having a baby while I am in school. I am nervous that it will be a disaster. Is there a way to make it work? Does anyone have experience or suggestions?

I have an 18 month old baby and applied this year (i'm on the alternate list at Utah... only school I applied to). I know it's going to be rough, but my wife will work part time evenings (she has her masters degree) and hopefully we won't have to have too many baby sitters. I know it's gonna be rough, but we'll make it work.