Any Family Medicine/Psychiatry Residents Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow SDNers:

I'm looking to start a group for the few of us FM/Psych residents (and other interested parties) out there. If you fit this description, please PM me so we can connect.

Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely yours,
Heal&Teach

Members don't see this ad.

I have been interested in ob/gyn for a long time but didn't like the surgery aspect. However, i have also been interested in psych. I thought that fam/psych would be a great way for me to do both things that i like. However, i wonder how realistic would it be for me to be able to practice both specialties the way that i want to. Does anyone know about what job opportunities are like for fam/psych grads? What kind of things are alumni doing or what have directors told you about opportunities available.

Check out the program website for the UCSD program, there are alumni profiles on there which describe what the graduates are doing.
www.combinedresidency.org

I have been interested in ob/gyn for a long time but didn't like the surgery aspect. However, i have also been interested in psych. I thought that fam/psych would be a great way for me to do both things that i like. However, i wonder how realistic would it be for me to be able to practice both specialties the way that i want to. Does anyone know about what job opportunities are like for fam/psych grads? What kind of things are alumni doing or what have directors told you about opportunities available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just two days from finishing my psych rotation and have been absolutely impressed by the specialty. I also love Fam Med and so am no seriously contemplating doing the dual residency. I realize though there are limited Psych/FM spots and no DO residency spots, which surprised me. My question - has anyone attempted to set up their own dual residency in a location that had both FM and Psych residencies but not a dual residency? Could this even be a possibility, or would programs even be open to this possibility? Anyone out there done/doing something like this in Psych/FM or any other residency?

Reactions: 1 user
Wow... residency totally usurped my plans to get this stuff together! My sincere apologies for abandoning this post. I'm guessing that most of your questions have been answered already and that some of you have already applied and are interns at this point. For those of you this message did not miss - hopefully you find some of the information below helpful.

I'm very encouraged that people are increasingly interested in FMP Residency Programs!

Hippiedoc - thanks for sharing theinfo regarding your program. The University of Cincinnati also has profiles of their past residents as well who have been engaged in a diversity of activities: http://www.psychiatry.uc.edu/index.php?q=node/517.

J48seconds - You can do whatever it is that you want to do with a residency in FMP. Anything is possible, because there is a high demand for dually-trained residents. Unfortunately, the number of programs available does not meet this demand at present. However, you have to be reasonable - you can create quite a unique niche for yourself, and it would certainly be difficult to do everything, especially with consideration for Obstetrics (to do it to its fullest potential you would almost need to be doing OB full time to keep up with the malpractice).

EastWest - There is at least one place that does not have an accredited FMP program that I know of where a resident set up his own program at a University in NC - however - there is an IM/Psych Program already set up at that location. I am sure that if you discuss your interests that some non-established programs might be willing to work with you. Dually-trained residents have been received very well from what I have seen and much appreciated in primary care settings.

Also, if anyone is interested in connecting with any Combined Residencies (Family Med/Psych or IM/Psych) - I would encourage you to take a look at the Association for Medicine and Psychiatry website: http://www.assocmedpsych.org. It is also a great opportunity to network with other interested as well as direct communication with the programs if you attend their conferences. There were many medical students present last year (and one program brought a bunch of their residents with them).

Now that life has calmed down a bit - I will try to figure out a way to maybe get some sort of group together on SDN.

Take care,
H&T

So, I know... I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse here... but did anyone come to a conclusion about doing a 'make your own combo' with IM/FP and Psych? I definitely want to do IM or FP, but am also interested in the possibility of Psych, however, I am limited in my residency options to Denver (my husband has a high paying job there, and it's bad enough I'm going to school outside of CO), worst case MN (where we're from).... Neither area has a combined residency. The university of Colorado (or MN) have IM and Psych programs, is it possible to do something like doing a combined option, or a second residency?

So, I know... I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse here... but did anyone come to a conclusion about doing a 'make your own combo' with IM/FP and Psych? I definitely want to do IM or FP, but am also interested in the possibility of Psych, however, I am limited in my residency options to Denver (my husband has a high paying job there, and it's bad enough I'm going to school outside of CO), worst case MN (where we're from).... Neither area has a combined residency. The university of Colorado (or MN) have IM and Psych programs, is it possible to do something like doing a combined option, or a second residency?

I remember you from the Colorado thread! I believe we were in similar Upper Midwest-CO situations. :) Though I have a looooong way to go, I am also extremely interested in both FP and Psych, so this thread is very intriguing. I would love to end up in the west and see that there are combined programs in CA, but for a variety of reasons I would also be interested to see what's possible in CO specifically or its surrounding states. Any info is appreciated, and the sites linked are very useful. :)

Glad there are quite a few people in this thread. Does anyone know what is the minimum board scores each of the FMP residency take? Say UC Davis? What is my chance with a 223, pass-high pass clinical grades, no honor so far. Looking to get great LORs tho...