Any fellows/Res. experiencing being viewed as a "future competitors" at community hosp. programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeeZee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background....I'm an IM sub-specialty fellow at a community hospital where I was a student, resident and now fellow and I grew up in the area. I've been at the same hospital for 7 years. At my program the Chief of the dept. (chief), the Program director, the assoc. program director, the program director and assoc program director of a secondary fellowship are all part of the same private group.

The Chief has singly precluded me from obtaining the secondary fellowship at our program and other programs in the area. I was given a verbal acceptance to a local program only to have it not honored after they spoke to the Chief, this information comes to me from my programs secondary program director who again is a senior partner of the Chiefs private group, the program director told me his decision to accept me was "vetoed". I don't have problems with anyone, I'm rather well liked and I am a good fellow (above average at my program). Nobody knows why or at least will not tell me the reason the Chief has turned against me and yes I confronted the chief about this and he said the program director did not rank me and that is why I didn't get the position and that he never spoke bad about me.....the only logical conclusion I can come up with is the Chief doesn't want any trainees who will stay in the area and compete with his group as they are not hiring.....

Am I just being naive in thinking this doesn't happen anywhere else or am I really a ****ty fellow and everyone is just lying to me to spare my feelings???

I'm still sub specialty trained and will be doing what I love, so I know I will be just fine. But I am truly hurt and saddened that people I looked up to, admired and respected have turned against me for no apparent reason or truly just think that little of me........SO CONFUSED!?!?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.