Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. MAXY said:
I will be heading back home to Ghana in March 2006 for a rotation. I was wandering if there are any University of Ghana Medical Students out there who will love to hangout. Moreover, if someone from UGMS will give me some rundown on things at Korle-bu. I will be coming with a couple of colleagues who are Americans.

I don't kinow of any UGMS students but I know of a nurse friend at Korle Bu pursuing a Critical nursing certificate or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. MAXY said:
I will be heading back home to Ghana in March 2006 for a rotation. I was wandering if there are any University of Ghana Medical Students out there who will love to hangout. Moreover, if someone from UGMS will give me some rundown on things at Korle-bu. I will be coming with a couple of colleagues who are Americans.

I don't know of any UGMS students but I know of a nurse friend at Korle Bu pursuing a Critical nursing certificate or something like that.

Anyway, I visited OSUCOM IN 2003 hoping to apply but I never did. I am thinking I should apply next year. Are there a lot of Ghanaians?

dokota said:
I don't know of any UGMS students but I know of a nurse friend at Korle Bu pursuing a Critical nursing certificate or something like that.

Anyway, I visited OSUCOM IN 2003 hoping to apply but I never did. I am thinking I should apply next year. Are there a lot of Ghanaians?

Huh, so you visited OSU-COM in 2003, I don't remember if we met.
Well, we have 3 Ghanaians in the school including myself (MS4). The other two are mSIII and MSI. All the same you should apply it's a great school. I would be glad to help you in anyway I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to see so many africans doing good things- I am probably the first but I am here representing Zimbabwe. Born, bred in Harare
Med school with SGU doing rotations in NJ

Just curious to find out how many southern africans there are out there.....

radiologygirl said:
Good to see so many africans doing good things- I am probably the first but I am here representing Zimbabwe. Born, bred in Harare

Hello radiologygirl. Being an inspiring med student like many others, I was just wondering if you can tell about your experience at SGU. Do you thing you will be able to get a residency position of your choice?

Hello there gildas
About SGU...I would never trade my experience there for anything in the world. i loved the island the people and the environment and I felt more than prepared for clinical rotations.
Many of my classmates and I have compared notes since having rotated with other US med students and neither of us feels as if we are any less competent compared to them....infact some of the times we fell the exact opposite.
Education is all about what you make of your opportunities...at the end of the day the only thing that differs is the name of the school you went to....you all have MDs

As far as residency.....the sky is the limit. We do not have the official match list out on our website but what I hear so far is that people did really well. I know there were matches in Optho, ENT, Rads...etc

If you go to SGU...it will by no means be easy...you seriously get what you put into it all in the end....have not reason to thing why i should not get the residency of my choice...

So good luck on your future medical career where ever it is that you end going

nne97080 said:
Hi I am nigerian but i grew up in the states. I have taken the mcat 3 times and i keep getting the same horrible low score. My credentials are good aside from my low mcats and I have applied 2x and all the schools complain about the same thing low mcats(23). I previously had low science gpa of 2.9 but I did advanced postbac courses in bio and got practically a perfect 4.0 science gpa but none of which was biochem (would taking this help). I currently still waiting on hu med and meharry and really not sure what to do any more. I will be going on a med mission this summer to Ghana and have decided that I might continue working in public health (I have a master's in ph) in either naija or ghana possibly on contract till january during which i will not work at all to study for the 4 months as well as maybe take biochem at umdcp if i do not take in ghana this year(should i definitely take the biochem in states of does it not matter where i take it). What do you think? Do you think these two measures (taking biochem and not working and studying for the mcat) would help me get over the hump and do you have any suggestions please in as to how I should tackle this issue in the event that i do not get in hu or meharry? Would be truly appreciated.
Thanks

You could apply to DO schools instead, i had the same problem with a 3.98 undergrad but MCAT of 22. I did not want to go through taking the MCAT again. and the great thing is that DO's can practice in Nigeria.

hey there radiologygirl! I'm from H-town too! I was beginning to feel lonely here :)

CONGRATULATIONS to all the MSIV that entered the match this year. Anyone care to share where they are heading for residency. I guess I will start.

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY - PINNACLE HEALTH HARRISBURG, PENNSLYVANIA.

Thank God.

mismd said:
You could apply to DO schools instead, i had the same problem with a 3.98 undergrad but MCAT of 22. I did not want to go through taking the MCAT again. and the great thing is that DO's can practice in Nigeria.

I totally agree with Mismd. Here is a copy of a reply a posted earlier.

DO VRS MD

Well, I just wanted to comment a little about some of the post I saw on this thread. Some of you were debating about DO vrs MD. As a matter of fact, I'm in a DO school. I personally think everyone should go where they will feel comfortable and be treated well, cos med school ain't a joke.
I for example took my first MCAT in August 2000, applied to 10 allopathic schools and 1 osteopathic school (in-state). My MCAT sucked, and I received the standard rejection letters from all the allopathic schools. However, my osteopathic school rejection letter was unique. It stressed the fact that I had very decent and high GPA, excellent research experience including publications, extraordinary leadership roles and extracurricular activities, and since the MCAT was my only problem, they offered me a free MCAT prep course. The following year with better MCAT scores, guess what, I only applied to one school: Oklahoma State college of Osteopathic Medicine.

It's somehow true that one might face adversities as a DO med student trying to gain a very competitive residency. At the same token, being an MD student doesn't make it any easier. I think we all have to apply ourselves and work very had in med school to obtain a competitive residency. The point is it really doesn't matter. As a DO student, I did a summer research program at Johns Hopkins, which led to Bristol-Myers-Squibb National Medical Fellowship award. I returned again to Johns Hopkins for a rotation as an MSIII. I for one busted my balls to get accepted, and even worked harder once I was in med school. I have started my interviews for residency and I have already gotten some great offers for Orthopedic Surgery Residency. A colleague and friend of mine who graduated last year from my school is currently at John Hopkins doing her residency.
Bottomline go where you will feel comfortable, where you will get all the help to pass your boards. I know some friends that went to great MD schools and failed to pass their boards and were kicked out. Some of them told me they received no help (compared to the preparation my school offered) in preparing for boards.
Gotta go see patients. I was in a rush, so pls pardon any mistakes.

And oh yea, I matched Orthopedic Surgery

Naija Gal here!!! im still in undergrad but i plan on applying to pharmacy school next year....anyone else on this same path out there?? i need support :( :scared:

PhArMafReKan said:
Naija Gal here!!! im still in undergrad but i plan on applying to pharmacy school next year....anyone else on this same path out there?? i need support :( :scared:
Well, GOOD LUCK. Have you taken the PCAT already and what schools are you planning on applying to?

Dr. MAXY said:
Well, GOOD LUCK. Have you taken the PCAT already and what schools are you planning on applying to?
i'm taking it this October, I haven't decided which schools to apply in total but UH and UT are definitely the top 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to intrude in your posts, but I noticed that some of you replying have resided in Africa and wondered if I could ask a few quick questions related to some work I'm doing on Malaria in Africa?
- Do you see Malaria as more or less of a threat to Africa than AIDS?
- If you had any experience with malaria, or took precautions against mosquito bites, what precautions did you use?
- Do you know anyone, or have you ever slept under or used an insectiside treated bed net to prevent Malaria?
- If you have ever attempted to buy a bed net, are they readily accessible, or are they hard to find?

Again, I don't mean to be intrusive, but am so interested in this topic and am looking to speak with someone who has personal experience instead of just reading the research. Thanks for your time.

Hey Dr. Maxy,
I am a Ghnaian and I realised you go to an osteopathic school (correct me if I am wrong) , how different is it from the allopathic program? I know that osteopathic medicine has a little to do with holistic medicine and all but from your standpoint how different is it?

nin012 said:
Sorry to intrude in your posts, but I noticed that some of you replying have resided in Africa and wondered if I could ask a few quick questions related to some work I'm doing on Malaria in Africa?
- Do you see Malaria as more or less of a threat to Africa than AIDS?
- If you had any experience with malaria, or took precautions against mosquito bites, what precautions did you use?
- Do you know anyone, or have you ever slept under or used an insectiside treated bed net to prevent Malaria?
- If you have ever attempted to buy a bed net, are they readily accessible, or are they hard to find?

Again, I don't mean to be intrusive, but am so interested in this topic and am looking to speak with someone who has personal experience instead of just reading the research. Thanks for your time.

Yes I have had malaria . And of course it is treatable. I am from Ghana and in my country I would say that AIDS is more of a threat than malaria is. Malaria can be easily treated by taking chloroqine tabs or any of its analogs which you can easily buy at a pharmacy but AIDS is of course almost impossible to treat and so far the drugs that help to minimize the symptoms of AIDS are too expesive for the average African to buy.

I went to a boarding school and as a requirement we had to sleep in anti-mosquito nets. It helped a lot. Draining stagnant water around your living area also helps since mosquitoes thrive in stagnant water. Some older people,traditionalists, tend to have herb mixes that also seem to ward of malaria. I have tried some of these herbs mixes and they work. Mosquito repellants also come in handy.

I hope this helped.

Hi radiologygirl
I am interested in applying to SGU. Could you tell me the kind of results(GPA, MCAT etc) you were admitted with if you don't mind my asking?

Nigerian right here as well. I was born in Ibadan, but moved to Canada when I was 5. I'm applying to all Canadian schools next year (Queen's, U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Manitoba, U of Ottawa, U of British Columbia and maybe some others). Just finished 2nd year undergrad. Oh, I'm Yoruba too.

GOOD LUCk to you guys Odame and Akinf

SauvignonBlanc said:
Hi Dr. Maxy,

Just checking in

WELCOME !!!
What school is TTU ? Is it TTU- Texas Tech Univ.?

I be naija boy o. E gud as una dey hola for here. How una dey na? I wan ask for important information. I dey my last year BS-Pharmacy for Philippines and I dey plan do med skul for here. The problem now be say I dey look for place wey i go practice medicine. I don try US and Canada. The info no too give joy..now i dey try Australia. Any of una get idea wey African person like me go fit practice medicine? I no say this question go benefit many of us wey dey here..Any kind info go help me well well..e go be na...

On the other hand, I dey also consider practicing pharmacy since i go soon get degree for Pharmacy. I wan sabi the conditions involved either for US, CAnada or any other place sef...

naijabony said:
I be naija boy o. E gud as una dey hola for here. How una dey na? I wan ask for important information. I dey my last year BS-Pharmacy for Philippines and I dey plan do med skul for here. The problem now be say I dey look for place wey i go practice medicine. I don try US and Canada. The info no too give joy..now i dey try Australia. Any of una get idea wey African person like me go fit practice medicine? I no say this question go benefit many of us wey dey here..Any kind info go help me well well..e go be na...

On the other hand, I dey also consider practicing pharmacy since i go soon get degree for Pharmacy. I wan sabi the conditions involved either for US, CAnada or any other place sef...

see as u dey hia dey yarn pigin as if everyone be naija :D

radiologygirl said:

hey just wondering r u doing residency in radiology and if so what kind of stats do they expect if u dont mind my asking?

lotanna said:
I did a med mission trip to Nigeria last yr with Drs for a united Med mission(we partner up with Prohealth Intl a Nigerian health org), our team from here was like 20 drs/nurses/students, add Prohealth's drs,nurses,dentists,optometrists etc,and we were 80 deep,it was tight. Very hands on, surgeries, HIV diagnosis, seeingpatients, huge hernia removals, fibroids, its a great experience!
I also did one with them to Ghana this yr, hit me back up for more info

@community, the med mission trip I did was in Akwa ibom, thats close enough, considering we flew from Lagos to Calabar and drove to Uyo :D

Lady I lost ur number holla. cypm for mine I need to talk to u.
-n

Dr. MAXY said:
WELCOME !!!
What school is TTU ? Is it TTU- Texas Tech Univ.?

Yes Texas Tech Univ. Health Science Center School of Pharmacy (that's a mouthful) @ Amarillo

nne97080 said:
see as u dey hia dey yarn pigin as if everyone be naija :D

I am presently in my last year BS-Pharmacy in the Philippines and am planning to do med skul here. The problem is am searching for possible places of practicing medicine. I am considering the States and Canada but the information I have received isn’t very detailed. Am also trying Australia. If any of you have ideas where an African guy like me can practice, I’ll appreciate it as I know it will benefit many of us here.

On the other hand I was also considering practicing pharmacy. I’ll be equally grateful for any information concerning practicing pharmacy in the US or Canada or anywhere else..Thanx

PhArMafReKan said:

Hey,

Hang in there

How far are you with your prerequsites. Do you have particular schools in mind? If you don't mind PM me with your stats and I could guide you how to maximize your market value. I got accepted to 5 schools this year. :love: I'll help you in anyway I can. :luck:

naijabony said:
I am presently in my last year BS-Pharmacy in the Philippines and am planning to do med skul here. The problem is am searching for possible places of practicing medicine. I am considering the States and Canada but the information I have received isn’t very detailed. Am also trying Australia. If any of you have ideas where an African guy like me can practice, I’ll appreciate it as I know it will benefit many of us here.

On the other hand I was also considering practicing pharmacy. I’ll be equally grateful for any information concerning practicing pharmacy in the US or Canada or anywhere else..Thanx

dude, there is a wealth of information on the internet. you probably haven't gotten any help yet cos most people don't know where to start, you might wanna google the places you're interested in.

in the mean time check these sites out

www.imgo.ca (for IMGs looking for a place in Ontario. It also has links to similar bodies in other canadian provinces.)

http://www.amc.org.au/ (australian requirements)
you might also wanna check out http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/

http://www.ecfmg.org/ for the states.

keep in mind that the regulations change from time to time. it's important that you check the sites often for updates.

all the best bro.

I'm very interested in doing some work in Ghana. I'm just about to finish my first year in my DO program and wanted to go visit family and do a mission there. Unfotunately, I don't think that it will work out the way I planned. I would like to do a rotation there during 3rd or 4th year. What are the good rotations to do there? Who would I need to contact for information?

Dr. MAXY said:

Giving a shout to all African bros ans sis out there! Just wondering if there were any Cameroonian med students or want-to-be med students out there. Holla back.

-Gentle-

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

Whats up!!! I just got into this group and you've obviously been talkin for some time. I'm a ghanaian who grew up in the states whose matriculating into UMDNJ-NJMS in the fall. Im proud to see all us West Africans representin in medicine. Keep up the Good work!!!

Hey you all. So nice to see that there are many of us Africans in medicine. I will be MSI starting next month at MSU-COM. Nice to meet you all...

Oh, it's so nice to see fellow Africans on this board. I'm from Ghana, raised in a couple of different places in the US. I'm headed to dental school at the University of Maryland in the fall. Hopefully there will be other Africans in the Maryland/Baltimore area. :)

mayoree said:
Oh, it's so nice to see fellow Africans on this board. I'm from Ghana, raised in a couple of different places in the US. I'm headed to dental school at the University of Maryland in the fall. Hopefully there will be other Africans in the Maryland/Baltimore area. :)

Gal, I say more grease to your elbows, may be oneday our paths would cross :luck:

Hey gentle
I think you are also on the UMD 2010 class thread. If so, i am one of your classmates and i am Nigerian.

Gentle said:
Giving a shout to all African bros ans sis out there! Just wondering if there were any Cameroonian med students or want-to-be med students out there. Holla back.

-Gentle-

mayoree said:
Oh, it's so nice to see fellow Africans on this board. I'm from Ghana, raised in a couple of different places in the US. I'm headed to dental school at the University of Maryland in the fall. Hopefully there will be other Africans in the Maryland/Baltimore area. :)[/QUOTE

Definitely. I am a Nigerian girl starting med school this august at UMD!!

Hey Galdoc,

Yes, I'm part of UM class of 2010. Nice knowing that a sister is defending the title! I PMed you.

Goodluck,
-Gentle-

hey all,

I am a brother from Ghana :) I will be applying this year....

Good luck to all of you :cool:

Newton Bohr MD said:
hey all,

I am a brother from Ghana :) I will be applying this year....

Good luck to all of you :cool:

Hey Newton,

Good luck throughout your application cycle man. You took the MCAT already? Just feel free to ask questions, in case you are in doubt of anything throughout this application period, and I'm sure someone will be willing to answer your quest.

Again, Goodluck bro!

-Gentle-

I haven't visited this thread in awhile but I'm glad to see so many of you guys striving towards success. Congratulations to all those accepted and best of luck to those looking to gain admission! :thumbup:

I'll be an M1 this fall at UT-San Antonio which I'm so, so excited about! If any premed students have any questions about the app process, taking a year off (as I did and thoroughly enjoyed!), or anything at all, PM me anytime. Take care, y'all.

So many Africans in Baltimore! The people in my new class are already starting to get together to meet and drink. I don't drink, and I don't care to shout over people in a noisy funky bar. Maybe we should have our own African get-together. Some egusi, gari, plantains, and jollof?? And some world cup baby, Go Ghana!!!!

galdoc said:
mayoree said:
Oh, it's so nice to see fellow Africans on this board. I'm from Ghana, raised in a couple of different places in the US. I'm headed to dental school at the University of Maryland in the fall. Hopefully there will be other Africans in the Maryland/Baltimore area. :)[/QUOTE

Definitely. I am a Nigerian girl starting med school this august at UMD!!

Gentle said:
Hey Newton,

Good luck throughout your application cycle man. You took the MCAT already? Just feel free to ask questions, in case you are in doubt of anything throughout this application period, and I'm sure someone will be willing to answer your quest.

Again, Goodluck bro!

-Gentle-
Thank you for offering your assistance... I took the April MCAT and I am waiting for the resuls :scared: :)

mayoree said:
So many Africans in Baltimore! The people in my new class are already starting to get together to meet and drink. I don't drink, and I don't care to shout over people in a noisy funky bar. Maybe we should have our own African get-together. Some egusi, gari, plantains, and jollof?? And some world cup baby, Go Ghana!!!!

It would be great to see Ghana overcome the odds and dominate in the world cup :p

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

I was born in Ghana and brought up in the United Kingdom. I will be starting medical school this September ( Guys, Kings and St.Thomas's school of medical school, London). I am glad that this thread is really thriving with posts!!

Good luck to GHANA in the WORLD CUP!

mayoree said:

That's a great idea. I have moved here to Harrisburg, PA (about an hour from Baltimore) getting ready to start my ortho residency. It would be a great idea to drive to B'more, and watch the world cup with other Ghanaians.
Pls let me in on any plans.

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of the African teams getting spanked in the world cup??? :thumbdown:

Newton Bohr MD said:
Am I the only one who is sick and tired of the African teams getting spanked in the world cup??? :thumbdown:
Well, me too. But I think Ghana got cheated by the ref. We should have been awarded a penalty kick at least from those two fouls agians Asamoah. Even the comentators thought those two were fouls. But lets keep hopes alive.

Well, I am a Nigerian gal, - got my MD in Nigeria, PhD at Johns Hopkins, now doing my residency at UPenn. Glad to know there are so many Africans doing well out there!
Peace :)

venevite said:
Well, I am a Nigerian gal, - got my MD in Nigeria, PhD at Johns Hopkins, now doing my residency at UPenn. Glad to know there are so many Africans doing well out there!
Peace :)

who cares... America for Americans!!!

Just kidding!!

Last edited: