Any good OB/Gyn pocket books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cristendahl

I am just starting OB/Gyn. I have read the posts about books to prepare for the shelf exam, but I haven't seen anything about pocket guides for use at the hospital. Are there any pocket-sized OB/Gyn books worth buying?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

All the residents I talked to used--and recommended--a little red book called "Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility" by Gordon et al. I had to order it online because I couldn't find it locally...but it was pretty useful, if just for having something in my pocket to look at for a few minutes when I'd otherwise be sitting around in the middle of the night with nothing to do...

All the residents I talked to used--and recommended--a little red book called "Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility" by Gordon et al. I had to order it online because I couldn't find it locally...but it was pretty useful, if just for having something in my pocket to look at for a few minutes when I'd otherwise be sitting around in the middle of the night with nothing to do...

The text in that book is so small and blurry, it's completely impractical to read. I wouldn't buy it, as they give it out for free (drug companies) during OB/GYN.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is also a burgundy obstretrics and gyn. current clinical strategies pocket book that is pretty good

Try the washington manual internship survival guide

Case Files can fit in your pocket

Ive got to stick up for the red book, it kept me alive all rotation. The clerkship director said you could buy the red book and a PDA and be a practicing ObGyn but yes it is often given out free, still well worth not waitign to get it

red book + case files = golden

OB/Gyn recall (like Surgical recall) is pretty good.

I am just starting OB/Gyn. I have read the posts about books to prepare for the shelf exam, but I haven't seen anything about pocket guides for use at the hospital. Are there any pocket-sized OB/Gyn books worth buying?

Thanks! :)

I liked High Yield OB myself. It fit in my white coat.

As the author of the little red book I would like to thank those who like the book. I am currently working on a 6th Edition that will hopefully be available in Summer 2007. In response to the individual who said the type was blurred I will gladly send a new copy as this is a problem that I have rarely heard about with over 100,000 copies of this edition in print.

TAP Pharmaceuticals has distributed the book but it is available (or should be) at all medical bookstores. However, I have been careful not to print too many copies at this time with the new edition coming this summer. For example, Amazon is out of stock and so is Tarascon. I will be shipping to them this month. THere is also a PDA version which I have not used as I am not a PDA person.

Good luck

DrG

I used a purple book, "Gynecology and Obstetrics", by Chan and Johnson. It was extremely short but high yield. Cost like 10 bucks. That plus casefiles was perfect. No one else used the purple book at my school, though -- a lot of people use the red book.

Best,
Anka