Any good tips before starting PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPTallnightlong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine you've been accepted to PT school. You finished partying, traveling, hanging out, and paying off loans for a bit ... now tell me, what would you do before heading to PT school? Anything you'd do to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what I'll be doing as soon as I get accepted to my school of choice. Brushing up on my anatomy, drawing out brachial plexuses, and re-learning manual muscle testing. It's good to study a bit before so you're not rusty and have a bit less to learn once you're in school.

I've never learned manual muscle testing...is there a place to review stuff like that online?

I start PT school in a few months and I have been looking over Muscles: Testing And Function by Kendall. This book was recommended to me by physical therapists. You can get the 1993 edition at a low price online. There is a 2005 edition but not much was changed from the 1993 edition.

from what ive been told, brush up on your gross anatomy with anatomy flash cards, but other than that, relax, have a social life and enjoy the feeling that youve been accepted but arent bombarded with school work quite yet.

just relax, enjoy the nice weather,do whatever you want to do! go travel if you can! Go out with your friends, visit your family... My point is once school starts you will see anatomy, MMT, ROM, and other things over and over again! Just try to start school fresh so you don't get burnout.

just relax, enjoy the nice weather,do whatever you want to do! go travel if you can! Go out with your friends, visit your family... My point is once school starts you will see anatomy, MMT, ROM, and other things over and over again! Just try to start school fresh so you don't get burnout.

I think I will take your advice! I'm already so burntout that my priority is to decompress for a few weeks and start fresh. But then again I start July 6th so it really is only a few weeks!

How about studying for the NSCA-CSCS Certification, which involves a good amount of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc? I plan on sitting for this exam this summer before beginning PT school.

I agree with the notion of relax and enjoy some time for yourself. You can get ahead of the game by reviewing anatomy and phys, but you will learn it much more in depth in school.

Relax and enjoy your time before school starts, really, it's the best thing I can tell you. I just finished my first year of PT school, and boy, do they make you work...at the end of our spring semester finals, I went out with a bunch of classmates for lunch and we were so excited just to have some free time to hang out. But, all the trouble is worth it.

But yeah if you want to prepare early, I'd definitely suggest reviewing anatomy (physiology not so much, I didn't find it very useful). Netter's atlas of anatomy is great, and it was pretty much my bible throughout Gross Anatomy =]

Good luck and I hope you all hear some good news from your PT schools soon!