Any Great Shadowing Opprortunites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flashfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done 100 hours of primary care, 30 hours of radiology, 15 hours of orthopedics. I have a few contacts that can get me a few hours of shadowing in addition to the hours that I have. I can also do more primary care. As it stands now, I am very interested in psych and neurology but I haven't found an "in" yet.
Is this enough hours or should I go for more? I have about 500+ non-clinical, 200+ clinical hours, 50+ tutoring, 100+ research (no published work).

I am trying to avoid a gap year. I am in a state that loves IS applicants. I want to avoid EDP though Indiana takes 80% that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it enough to "look adequate" on your application? Yes. I don't know how you want to define "enough."

Do it to because it's interesting and you like it , not to impress med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have done 100 hours of primary care, 30 hours of radiology, 15 hours of orthopedics. I have a few contacts that can get me a few hours of shadowing in addition to the hours that I have. I can also do more primary care. As it stands now, I am very interested in psych and neurology but I haven't found an "in" yet.
Is this enough hours or should I go for more? I have about 500+ non-clinical, 200+ clinical hours, 50+ tutoring, 100+ research (no published work).

I am trying to avoid a gap year. I am in a state that loves IS applicants. I want to avoid EDP though Indiana takes 80% that way.
That's definitely enough. Do some kind of non profit stuff now if you want to hone in on the primary care focused schools. w/ minorities preferably if you want to go to school in a city.

Unfortunately there is no way for me to joke about the way you misspelled opportunities in this answer :\

I think the established rule is ~50 hours is the basic minimum, and with over 100 hours of shadowing, you are doing fine on that front. However, I think shadowing is a great way to gain insight into the profession, and make sure you want to do it. Plus, it gives you something to talk about in your PS/ interview. Do it if you want to basically.

Thanks all....and I have no idea how I messed up opportunities. I swear I can spell.

Finding docs to shadow has been difficult, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't need anything else. I would much rather continue with volunteering.