any hepatitis B experts? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.sartorius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find an easy enough explanation for what antigens are positive when and what a certain combo of them mean. Anyone have a simple paradigm for these types of questions? Pathoma didn't help clarify it to me as much as I thought it would, and I get lost in the lengthy explanations of Uworld on this topic. I do get that IgM is acute, IgG is chronic, but as for the others I'm still not grasping it as easily as I would like. Any help would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't find an easy enough explanation for what antigens are positive when and what a certain combo of them mean. Anyone have a simple paradigm for these types of questions? Pathoma didn't help clarify it to me as much as I thought it would, and I get lost in the lengthy explanations of Uworld on this topic. I do get that IgM is acute, IgG is chronic, but as for the others I'm still not grasping it as easily as I would like. Any help would be very appreciated!

(This is how I organized my information)
Ok so this is how it goes, rmbr:

Anytime you see HBsAg (Think)= Active infection (Only exception in which the ptt has an active infection and there in no +HBsAG is during the Window period)
After that two things think of 1. Is it acute or Chronic? 2. If chronic does it have a high or low infectivity?

1. IgM if Acute
or IgG if Chronic
If Chronic +HBeAg= High Infectivity if there is no HBeAg think Low infectivity.

The three things left are Immunized, Recovery and Window period.

Immunized=
Patient will ONLY have Anti-HBs (That shouldn't be hard to rmbr as Anti=Against, the main HBs)
Recovery= Anti-HBs (Against HBs) + IgG (Which means the disease has been present in the past since IgG is the Chronic form)
As for Window well....That's the last option, you can to this by ruling out the other ones.
Just Kidding.
Window Period= Anti-HBe + IgM

I had a lot of trouble getting through this in the beginning also so I hope this helps you and any other confused Med Student out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
FA is pretty spot on for this, it would be easier for you to just go look at the diagram they give. Page 166 & 167 of FA 15.

FA is pretty spot on for this, it would be easier for you to just go look at the diagram they give. Page 166 & 167 of FA 15.

Well in that case FA covers just about every topic generally needed to know for the Step 1, sometimes people need an explanation. I'm assuming/assumed he asked this after going through FA, if not then yes you could give that a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well in that case FA covers just about every topic generally needed to know for the Step 1, sometimes people need an explanation. I'm assuming/assumed he asked this after going through FA, if not then yes you could give that a look.

Haha, wasn't hating on your explanation. If you didn't see we posted at legitimately the exact same time. OP said he looked at UW + Pathoma, not FA. I feel like most things FA does not really "explain". But, I do think that the hepatitis antigens are laid out pretty clearly in there.

Reactions: 1 user
(This is how I organized my information)
Ok so this is how it goes, rmbr:

Anytime you see HBsAg (Think)= Active infection (Only exception in which the ptt has an active infection and there in no +HBsAG is during the Window period)
After that two things think of 1. Is it acute or Chronic? 2. If chronic does it have a high or low infectivity?

1. IgM if Acute
or IgG if Chronic
If Chronic +HBeAg= High Infectivity if there is no HBeAg think Low infectivity.

The three things left are Immunized, Recovery and Window period.

Immunized=
Patient will ONLY have Anti-HBs (That shouldn't be hard to rmbr as Anti=Against, the main HBs)
Recovery= Anti-HBs (Against HBs) + IgG (Which means the disease has been present in the past since IgG is the Chronic form)
As for Window well....That's the last option, you can to this by ruling out the other ones.
Just Kidding.
Window Period= Anti-HBe + IgM

I had a lot of trouble getting through this in the beginning also so I hope this helps you and any other confused Med Student out there.

Thank you! This is awesome! :)
I did look in FA but it just wasn't cutting it for me.

Reactions: 1 user