Any hope after getting rejection message from program via ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesomentin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this hasn't been asked before.
When a program sends a rejection email via ERAS, is that a final NO. Or can a person contact that program again later. eg after getting CK score/ new LOR
Does the system allow programs to reconsider an applicant if he/she requests for a review say after a month? or is it too late?
Can anyone tell if he/she has successfully done such a thing? If yes, what's the best way to approach them?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This hasn't been asked before...this week, on this particular forum. But it gets asked dozens of times every year.

No means no.

Sure, people have gotten programs to change their minds in the past, usually with a connection to the area that wasn't previously clear, or a couples match partner who did get an invite at that program/institution.

But unless Francis Collins and Pope Francis team wrote your LOR, it won't make a difference. If they thought a CK score would make a difference, they would have screened you, but not rejected you.

Everybody experiences rejection in this process. You can either rage, rage, against the dying of the light; or you can chalk it up to experience and move on. the outcome will likely be the same either way. Decide how you want to spend your energy.

Reactions: 5 users
Everybody experiences rejection in this process. You can either rage, rage, against the dying of the light; or you can chalk it up to experience and move on. the outcome will likely be the same either way. Decide how you want to spend your energy.

Wise words gutonc. Thanks for replying!

When I was applying I definitely got offered an interview subsequent to a rejection...

~~~~~~

Law2Doc:

It might be helpful here to add what, if anything, changed that prompted the program to invite you post-rejection...did you perhaps make them aware of an S.O. interviewing there or a connection they had not known about (as in you were from their state, but had attended college and medical school in another region)?

A side note here...any program would have a screener (certainly not a PD...maybe not even a PC) looking through myriad initial applications. They ALL know that every applicant applies to 80+ programs. Ergo, it is essential to screen/filter the process down to a relative few even seen by a P.D. to decide on interview invites.

~~~~~~

Law2Doc:

It might be helpful here to add what, if anything, changed that prompted the program to invite you post-rejection...did you perhaps make them aware of an S.O. interviewing there or a connection they had not known about (as in you were from their state, but had attended college and medical school in another region)?

A side note here...any program would have a screener (certainly not a PD...maybe not even a PC) looking through myriad initial applications. They ALL know that every applicant applies to 80+ programs. Ergo, it is essential to screen/filter the process down to a relative few even seen by a P.D. to decide on interview invites.
Nothing changed. The PD was actually surprised to learn that when I mentioned it. Presumably it was a case of PD and PC not on the same page, or some other similar glitch.

FWIW, I appealed a rejection to a program that was my top choice going into interview season (and remained my top choice thereafter), and was granted an interview after my appeal. I had gone to high school right down the street from that particular program, and had many, many connections in the area. I also had my adviser attempt to call on my behalf (though I'm not certain if that made any difference or not, since she said she wasn't able to get through).

However, despite ranking the program #1, I did not match there. Is it because I bombed the interview? It is because they would've ranked me low anyway? Hard to say, but take it for what it's worth.

I have a different scenario. I just got 2 rejection letters from the same program. And I only applied to one track at that place so it can't be for different tracks. I guess they really didn't like me for their program. hah.

I have a different scenario. I just got 2 rejection letters from the same program. And I only applied to one track at that place so it can't be for different tracks. I guess they really didn't like me for their program. hah.
Isn't a double negative a positive? They "don't not" want you.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah I got a rejection email from a specific track in a program that I didn't even apply for. And just to make sure I fully understood their decision, they sent the rejection email another five times.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a rejection via email attachment of a PDF of a letter... addressed to a different applicant.

When I emailed them to ask to make sure my answer was the same (which I figured it would be), she responded back with an email attachment of the same letter but addressed to me instead.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I definitely think anyone who got an interview after originally being rejected is an exception, not the rule. If you have been rejected and then have several people appeal on your behalf, you may get an interview just to stop people from calling. You may not have bombed the interview, but you don't meet their criteria in some way, so they weren't going to rank you regardless of interview performance.

I definitely think anyone who got an interview after originally being rejected is an exception, not the rule. If you have been rejected and then have several people appeal on your behalf, you may get an interview just to stop people from calling. You may not have bombed the interview, but you don't meet their criteria in some way, so they weren't going to rank you regardless of interview performance.

Incessant calls and emails can wear us down so that we'll agree to offer an interview on a date that had a late cancellation. A great interview performance can get you on the rank list--but it won't be high. Programs have safety applicants just like applicants have safety schools.

Reactions: 4 users