Any info about community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angelina26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why it is so hard to find place to volunteer in dental field? No replies what so ever.. anyone? share your experiences and how did you get that?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to go different private clinics and talk with them if they can allow you to volunteer. If you are looking for volunteer service besides dental field than try to contact local health department and ask them. You can also go to local nursing homes or geriatric care homes to volunteer.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to go different private clinics and talk with them if they can allow you to volunteer. If you are looking for volunteer service besides dental field than try to contact local health department and ask them. You can also go to local nursing homes or geriatric care homes to volunteer.
Thank you for your response. I did 5 years of DA, but never asked to volunteer.. Oh well.. I'm sure they will love that. I didn't know that private dental volunteering would seem a good asset for UIC.
I will try to do nursing home right by my house, see if they need some help, that would feel more like volunteering... :)
Do you think my Lithuanian community church would count? I do volunteer there before christmas every year..

Members don't see this ad :)
Any volunteer you do will count, doesn't matter where you do. But, nursing home will be a good idea.

Unless you're volunteering at a dental clinic or helping with dental needs it really doesn't matter. I helped at the admissions office of a big dental group and I can say for a fact that schools nowadays are either looking for more than a padded resume and no amount of "BS volunteering" will guarantee you getting in. What worked was getting your admissions packet in before everybody else and having all the
prerequisites that the school asked for. If you're going to show something extra, make sure it really counts as schools don't give a damn about volunteering, specially when applying to advanced standing because you're already a dentist- why would volunteering as an assistant or "shadowing" impress them? If you can show CE certificates from implant courses or rotary endo for example, these would set you apart from the rest of the applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I meant dental school, not dental group.

Unless you're volunteering at a dental clinic or helping with dental needs it really doesn't matter. I helped at the admissions office of a big dental group and I can say for a fact that schools nowadays are either looking for more than a padded resume and no amount of "BS volunteering" will guarantee you getting in. What worked was getting your admissions packet in before everybody else and having all the
prerequisites that the school asked for. If you're going to show something extra, make sure it really counts as schools don't give a damn about volunteering, specially when applying to advanced standing because you're already a dentist- why would volunteering as an assistant or "shadowing" impress them? If you can show CE certificates from implant courses or rotary endo for example, these would set you apart from the rest of the applicants.
Thank you for response. I have one more Q. How about ADEA PASS? Does getting into residency help to get license to work in some states of US without going to dental school?