Any input would be appreciated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aburnet2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a OMS -III that is interested in EM for sure. I had previous experience working in an ER before med school and so far this year I am still wanting to become an EM doc.

I took the comlex level 1 only and got a 515. I know that is not a great score and so close to average that it pretty much is average. I have a wife and daughter so trying to go back to prepare again for step 1 seems unpractical at this point. My current plan is to take comlex level II AND USMLE step 2 in early August 2016 then apply.

I guess my main question is: If I have a 515 on level 1 and a decent score on on step II (225-240), is that enough to get me interviews and match in ACGME programs?

Most of the programs I have been looking at is in Tx, Oh, and Ga. Maybe Michigan.

I am trying to get my plan worked out now so that I can actually implement it in time to do well. I would appreciate any input from people who have already done or are doing what is coming my way soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a DO; did much worse on Level 1 and took Step 1 around this time my 3rd year. Most ACGME programs are going to want USMLE scores, but many would probably be alright with just Step 2. Your best bet is to call around and ask the places you're interested in. Alternatively, you could go to a residency fair at either ACEP or SAEM and ask in person. The areas you listed aren't exactly on the "geographically desirable" list and they tend to be more familiar w/ DOs so, in the end, it probably will be fine.

Taking and doing well on the USMLE step 1 and 2 can only help your application.

If you apply to programs that historically take a lot of DOs, than it probably doesn't matter.