Any interest in D.O. WAMC residency thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdionne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep poking around the internal medicine WAMC thread, but I've read comments that they don't know all that much about AOA programs, people who only took COMLEX, D.O. friendly programs, etc - so it's not all that relevant to me.

How are you guys feeling? I haven't gotten a single interview yet and it's freaking me out. I think my level 1 might be weeding me out (468 - I choked).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's going to be much of a knowledgeable response, unfortunately... if people knew the answers to the DO students' questions in the WAMC threads I'm sure they'd help out. Not saying there's not a demand because there definitely is-- but the information about AOA programs/DO friendliness/etc is limited in the first place, and the rare people who have insight into it apparently aren't on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not for this guy/gal. He/she only has a comlex.

Plus this is a good as it gets in terms of "what are my chances," USMLE or not.

But the USMLE score isn't given so it's a fairly useless metric.

Last edited:
Sorry but you're out of luck. We are very upfront about our knowledge gaps. Unfortunately every year we have several DOs come asking for advice who then invariably disappear and never come back to pay it forward to their DO colleagues. I'll keep my conjecture as to why to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sorry but you're out of luck. We are very upfront about our knowledge gaps. Unfortunately every year we have several DOs come asking for advice who then invariably disappear and never come back to pay it forward to their DO colleagues. I'll keep my conjecture as to why to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Admittedly even in the Psych forum no one has a clue about DO matching. Some DOs match high tier with just COMLEX others match 4th choice with 240s. But even then using anecdotes about matching isn't helpful either.
Kinda just advances the need for DOs to essentially apply probably to double the amount of programs that MDs do admittedly.

You can read through my post history for some of my personal thoughts about DO IM programs, competitiveness, etc.
Most of my classmates last year with scores <500 did not receive many interviews in the MD match. They ended up doing the DO match instead. If you don't have at least 8 interviews in the MD match, you should strongly consider the DO match instead. Refer to the Charting Outcomes pdf if you want the exact number of interviews & percentage of matching, but I think 8 is a conservative number.
Average USMLE scores (230s-240s) as a DO will score you many interviews on the MD side, but don't expect them to be all mid-tier or higher programs. DOs do face score discrimination vs american MDs in getting interviews, but not as badly as our Caribbean/IMG friends :)

Reactions: 1 user
Very similar COMLEX to the OP, applying AOA IM. No interviews yet either, I think because most programs are waiting for MSPE to come out. Wondering what my chances are and how many I should apply to.

The bulk of interviews will come out in the next 2-3 weeks. I only have 2 so far with dual >260s and >750s.

Reactions: 1 users
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. It's a rollercoaster of emotion FO SHO, but good to know someone with awesome scores aren't getting 50 invites/day - so thank you for that. If it will ease anyone's mind, I'll post here if/when I do get invites. I applied to 42 programs in Michigan, Ohio, Mass, and Maine. So far.

Heeyyyy guys. So I have a few interviews now: Huron Valley Sinai Hospital, Oakwood Hospital, Mercy Hospital, St. John Macomb Oakland, and Genesys - all in Michigan. Hope everybody has gotten some more by now and they keep rolling in!

I got some as well, 4 total now. Hopefully they keep rolling in.

I am applying for ACGME IM and so far I've got 5 invites and 3 rejections out of 36 programs with 240s/250s. Starting to feel bit nervous

I am applying for ACGME IM and so far I've got 5 invites and 3 rejections out of 36 programs with 240s/250s. Starting to feel bit nervous

I think the minimum number of interviews to rank to match well is 8. And more interviews come til early/mid december with people cancelling their interviews.

So far 7 invites and 4 rejections out of 52. Things are slow.

Reactions: 1 user
4 rejections with those stats? Reach programs (for DO)?
5 now. Wisconsin, OHSU, Yale, UNC, and UCSD. Almost all programs have sent out interviews so far. It's crazy this year.

5 now. Wisconsin, OHSU, Yale, UNC, and UCSD. Almost all programs have sent out interviews so far. It's crazy this year.
Well, to your defense, two of these programs are nearly out of reach for any DO regardless of their stats. Don't beat yourself too hard about it. I read the interview thread in the IM section that a good number of applicants (MDs included) who have received a lot less interview invitations that they anticipated.

I say, give it couple more weeks before you start panicking.

Reactions: 2 users
4 rejections with those stats? Reach programs (for DO)?
I would guess that this year is no crazier than any other year. Mid-October is just getting into peak invite time. Many programs also send out interviews in bunches, and as a DO you're not likely going to be in the first bunch of invites at competitive programs that mostly fill with USMDs. Doesn't mean you won't eventually get an invite or won't match there. There's people every year that end up at programs that didn't invite them for an interview till November (or later). Try to be patient.

And while USMLE scores are treated as the be all end all on SDN, in reality most programs have a minimum cut-off and then start looking at the other parts of your application. They've been doing this long enough to realize that a 260 doesn't necessarily mean someone will be a good resident. Don't get me wrong high scores are great to have, but in a specialty like IM, the rest of the app is equally if not more important.

Reactions: 3 users
So its getting into November now and I am sitting at 8 interviews, one which I cancelled (currently doing a rotation and really cant see myself here for residency). And now Im up to 9 rejections of 38 total programs and still have not heard back from a lot of programs I have applied to. Is it time to send out some more apps before the deadline hits for more programs?

So its getting into November now and I am sitting at 8 interviews, one which I cancelled (currently doing a rotation and really cant see myself here for residency). And now Im up to 9 rejections of 38 total programs and still have not heard back from a lot of programs I have applied to. Is it time to send out some more apps before the deadline hits for more programs?
I think we wait until cancelations start opening up spots then maybe a few will trickle in. I'm sitting at 9 invites and 11 rejections out of 52. Good thing is last year 99% of DOs matched who ranked 8 or more programs.