Any Ivy League pre meds going the DO route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iv3rson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know of any Ivy League undergrad students who ended up going DO?

Did the Ivy League name help compensate for lower mcat/gpa?

Are you guaranteed admission to a DO program, as an Ivy League applicant, if you have a > 3.0 sci/cum and above 26?

(Asking for a friend)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guaranteed admission to a DO program, as an Ivy League applicant, if you have a > 3.0 sci/cum and above 26?

(Asking for a friend)

No.

Reactions: 7 users

(Asking for a friend)
Why do people always have to qualify this? Because they know it's a silly question?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

agreed. I'm an Ivy League alumna applying to almost exclusively DO programs, not really expecting my alma mater to gain me any favor with the adcoms. Definitely considering myself an underdog (just barely under 3.0...oops), I'm really hoping schools will look at my whole application and show me some love, but expecting my application to be trashed by some programs after looking at just the gpa.

(Asking for a friend)

Sigh........ Just wait till the 2015 entering class DO averages are posted. CCOM has a higher GPA/MCAT than one of my state MD schools.

Like... its not that "easy" to get into DO schools anymore. This isnt 2008.

Above a 3.0 ... what does everyone think DO medical school is? Do you know how ridiculous that bolded sentence sounds.

Reactions: 7 users
This question stems from a discussion about lack of DO prestige & how problematic is Ivy League privilege in MD admjssijns

Reactions: 1 user
This question stems from a discussion about lack of DO prestige & how problematic is Ivy League privilege in MD admjssijns

So because there is a "lack of DO prestige" you think having a 3.1 gpa and a 26 MCAT would actually auto qualify you for automatic acceptance to a DO medical school just because someone graduated from an Ivy League?

Isnt DO medical school the exact same training as MD medical school training besides OMT/emphasis on a few other things? Why would graduating from an IVY league give you automatic acceptance to one school type if it didnt to the other when the training is 98-99 percent similar?

Also what in the world does this part of your sentence mean? "how problematic is Ivy League privilege in MD admjssijns"

Edit: Whats more surprising is that you as a "Medical Student (Accepted)" would actually have to ask this loaded question. So it makes me think you are just trolling putting down D.O's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Who needs a new wing? I'm giving out new libraries and free wings....how bout a new study hall? You take me, daddy's got the check book!

(Asking for a friend)

I know people who went DO from Yale, university of Pennsylvania, Princeton and other very prestigious schools.

Reactions: 5 users
On a serious note, though, can anyone comment on an institution's prestige carry any amount of weight? I attend a Top 10 Liberal Arts College and sometimes I think the degree of difficulty and grade deflation is not worth it, i.e. I should have gone to a state school (no disrespect at all).

On a serious note, though, can anyone comment on an institution's prestige carry any amount of weight? I attend a Top 10 Liberal Arts College and sometimes I think the degree of difficulty and grade deflation is not worth it, i.e. I should have gone to a state school (no disrespect at all).
No I hear you...I went to a top liberal arts in my tri state and the deflated the heck out of everything. Sometimes I wish I went to state school and got the 4.0, but I never would have got me the edumucatshum. Anyways there's been denotatation of prestige mentioned on this forum but I have heard it addressed in pre all, never pre osteo. I would like this bunked or debunked too please

I asked a rep from Campbell and Edward Via, and both offered very diplomatic language, that is, they recognize the degree of difficulty and consider it--but to what extent remains a mystery. I have a ~3.2 sGPA, and admittedly, I feel like if I went to a large state school I could reasonably have a ~ 3.5 sGPA at least. When I see these other schools that have DO averages for their incoming class at 3.5 like Edward Via, I just am filled out doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vcom is a farce...don't play into it. They accept much lower they were just so clap happily hey over advertised that on everything

We've had some students from the Ivies (Dartmouth and Brown, I think, and maybe Harvard. they gel after awhile). We seem to get females from the Seven Sisters.

Never.

No. And Dos can do stuff outside of Family Care as well. BTW, no one is guaranteed admission, at any med school in the US.

Prestige only counts when the school is a known feeder to med schools. A borderline candidate will not be saved by someone in our Adcom saying "But s/he got a 3.2 a U Chicago. That has to count for something."

At my Ivy, we have a couple people every year go DO, but it's generally in the single digits (<5). Based on what I've seen from @Goro, DO schools place less emphasis on undergraduate name than MD, so the answers to your second and third questions would likely be no.

Edit: just checked, and for the past few years, it's been about 1-2 per year

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Vcom is a farce...don't play into it. They accept much lower they were just so clap happily hey over advertised that on everything

Dude what happened to this sentence? Lol this had me rolling.

To make my post 'on topic'.. General distaste for the OP. As someone previously noted, an "accepted" medical student would not ask such a ridiculous question.

Tha

To make my post 'on topic'.. General distaste for the OP. As someone previously noted, an "accepted" medical student would not ask such a ridiculous question.
that was me obviously....they are putting in big bold letters that 3.5 on the app forms the average acceptance and candidates of this caliber should only apply. Nothing against The Vcoms but I was like, wait a minute, what happened between this year and last??

Edit: it was in response to someone saying Vcom was out of range

Because...because....Ivy League?

Reactions: 2 users

Dude it was for their "friend"

agreed. I'm an Ivy League alumna applying to almost exclusively DO programs, not really expecting my alma mater to gain me any favor with the adcoms. Definitely considering myself an underdog (just barely under 3.0...oops), I'm really hoping schools will look at my whole application and show me some love, but expecting my application to be trashed by some programs after looking at just the gpa.
You are wasting your money applying with less than a 3.0....literally

Dude it was for their "friend"

I didn't realize how my post came off until now. I assumed the broken sentence was due to predictive text or something, I was just saying that it made me laugh. And because only saying that would be off topic, I gave my 2 cents on the OP. I wasn't trying to say your post was off topic, apologies.

why do you say that?
See above to where it was originally said....they're advertising a min 3.5 for everything now, which is ridiculous. It wasn't against the school, just their bolded advertising on apps

(Asking for a friend)
nope. Medical school - regardless of what degree they award - want the best and brightest from undergrad schools. Big fish in a small pond is more impressive than a fluke from a massive ocean.

getting into college is largely dependent upon socioeconomic factors that were pre-ordained.
getting into medical school is largely dependent upon you.

edit: also, everyone knows that ivy leagues inflate their grades like a motherf*cker, so I would expect a high GPA right off the bat. I would be more suspect of a B- student from an Ivy league school than a B- student from a state school.

nope. Medical school - regardless of what degree they award - want the best and brightest from undergrad schools. Big fish in a small pond is more impressive than a fluke from a massive ocean.

getting into college is largely dependent upon socioeconomic factors that were pre-ordained.

edit: also, everyone knows that ivy leagues inflate their grades like a motherf*cker, so I would expect a high GPA right off the bat. I would be more suspect of a B- student from an Ivy league school than a B- student from a state school.

Anyone who has ever been to a med school graduation knows that getting into medical school is HIGHLY associated with socioeconomic factors.

But your point stands.

Getting into medical school is a lot more socioeconomically pre-ordained than getting into college. A lot more. There is significantly more socioeconomic diversity in colleges than medical schools for a reason. If you are implying that going to a top school is pre-ordained, then that is partially true, but disregards a sizeable non-wealthy population that attends those schools each year.

Last edited:
Tbh if you're coming from an Ivy League, you should probably be getting into an MD program. Just sayin

Tbh if you're coming from an Ivy League, you should probably be getting into an MD program. Just sayin

What if:

1) you had a hard time adjusting to college and had a very bad (2.0) freshman year, then pulled it together and graduated with a 3.1?

2) you decided to go into medicine after working in biomedical engineering for 3 years but graduated with a 3.0 and used grade replacement to get to a 3.6?

3) you went through personal hardships halfway through college that resulted in you getting Cs and Ds for a semester/year?

4) college is hard and you ended up graduating with a 3.1 and a biology degree?

5) you screwed around in college because you had a sweet banking job lined up but then decided you wanted to go into medicine when banking threatened to steal your soul?

6) any other number of circumstances?

Reactions: 5 users

That's only assuming you got into Ivy League School because of high academic achievement.

Getting into medical school is a lot more socioeconomically pre-ordained than getting into college. A lot more. There is significantly more socioeconomic diversity in colleges than medical schools for a reason. If you are implying that going to a top school is pre-ordained, then that is partially true, but disregards a sizeable non-wealthy population that attends those schools each year.

Ivy league schools tend to be very generous with their financial aid. That is the only reason I was able to go to one with my parents making ~40K. They made it cheaper for me to attend their school than to attend community college. Based on what I saw during undergrad, it was typically those people like me, first generation college kids who don't come from any kind of wealth or went to huge public high schools that didnt prepare them for college, that struggled the most simply b/c the playing field is pretty uneven when a huge chunk of your peers went to elite prep schools and were taught how to "do" college, how to network, how to talk with professors etc.

I'm also not too sure about the grade inflation thing, at least when it comes to the science classes. I've taken science classes at both an Ivy and my big state school (TX), and while I had to bust my butt to scrape a B- before, it wasn't too difficult to get A's at my state school...the difference is real. I will say that the humanities classes at my undergrad were pretty easy to do well in, which is why my non-sci gpa is way higher. I'm not bitter or anything (although I'm sure I sound it lol), I recognize it was my choice where to attend college, and I wouldn't trade it b/c the education was phenomenal, even though I probably would look a lot better on paper academically had I gone somewhere else.

(Asking for a friend)

I went to a top 3 Ivy school, I won't say which one, but you are not guaranteed anything in life, even if you went to a top school. You still have to prove to the admissions committee that you have what it takes to be a good doctor.

Ivy league schools tend to be very generous with their financial aid. That is the only reason I was able to go to one with my parents making ~40K. They made it cheaper for me to attend their school than to attend community college. Based on what I saw during undergrad, it was typically those people like me, first generation college kids who don't come from any kind of wealth or went to huge public high schools that didnt prepare them for college, that struggled the most simply b/c the playing field is pretty uneven when a huge chunk of your peers went to elite prep schools and were taught how to "do" college, how to network, how to talk with professors etc.

I'm also not too sure about the grade inflation thing, at least when it comes to the science classes. I've taken science classes at both an Ivy and my big state school (TX), and while I had to bust my butt to scrape a B- before, it wasn't too difficult to get A's at my state school...the difference is real. I will say that the humanities classes at my undergrad were pretty easy to do well in, which is why my non-sci gpa is way higher. I'm not bitter or anything (although I'm sure I sound it lol), I recognize it was my choice where to attend college, and I wouldn't trade it b/c the education was phenomenal, even though I probably would look a lot better on paper academically had I gone somewhere else.
Yeah, I said the same thing before on another thread about university prestige and GPA. My science gpa is a 3.3 and my non-science gpa is a 3.7, haha, from a top 10 non-ivy school. So now I have a low science GPA and a high MCAT score. People like to pull the "boo-hoo, poor ivy-leaguer" card when the truth is that it is the wealthier people, who don't have to worry about work and who were prepared for college, who are doing well. It's poorer students with the lower GPAs that want acknowledgement for their hard work. And honestly, with my GPA, background, and alma mater, I can get into a top business program, a T14 law school, and top grad programs. I think med schools just tend to be most concerned about hedging their numbers.

Then, the extraneous requirements to get into med school systematically eliminate lower income students. It takes wealth to have the spare time to do all these extra things. Like clubs. With work, my school day was booked 9-7 everyday. I couldn't make the meeting for most clubs and I wasn't going to give up my only homework/break/gym time to go socialize at a club that met after 7 just to be able to put it on a piece of paper. Other lower income students have a lot more restrictive obligations.

Fortunately, I think I've been able to pull together a good enough application to get me in somewhere, but to say that getting into med school is dependent on your hard work is completely wrong since the amount of hard work required can be vastly different amongst applicants.

Yes.

No. But years of post-undergrad work experience and near-perfect Ivy League grad GPA helped compensate. Even with that, most med schools weren't impressed.

Absolutely not. I applied twice.

(Asking for a friend)
You're a good friend. ;)

also, everyone knows that ivy leagues inflate their grades like a mother******, so I would expect a high GPA right off the bat. I would be more suspect of a B- student from an Ivy league school than a B- student from a state school.

This.

I never attended a state school (so I can't compare Ivy v State), but I say YES to this when comparing my Ivy League grad to my non-ivy undergrad. Although med schools weren't impressed with my undergrad performance, I am proud of it because I learned infinitely more earning my abysmal grades at the non-Ivy than earning my near-perfect grades at the Ivy.

But that's just my n = 1.

This.

I never attended a state school (so I can't compare Ivy v State), but I say YES to this when comparing my Ivy League grad to my non-ivy undergrad. Although med schools weren't impressed with my undergrad performance, I am proud of it because I learned infinitely more earning my abysmal grades at the non-Ivy than earning my near-perfect grades at the Ivy.

Ummmm, if you've ever read this site, it's been said repeatedly that grad GPAs don't matter that much because it's so much easier to do well in grad school than in undergrad. Getting into an ivy for a masters that's not engineering or an MBA is a lot different than going to an ivy for ungrad- the undergrads are a lot more selective/competitive. It's really pretty easy to get into a masters program at a good school. You would not be considered an Ivy League applicant unless you went there for undergrad. Then, if your username is indicative of anything, you got your MPH, which isn't even a science program and as was said before humanities classes are a lot more forgiving in their grading

This.

Anyways, no one is arguing that the Ivies don't teach as much as other schools and the general consensus is that science classes at the majority of top schools are not inflated. At my school, average= B (or C+/B- for biochem) and one standard deviation above the mean= A-. That's inflated to the grading system that previously existed at my school, but it's not at all inflated compared to other schools.

The fact of the matter is that getting B (average) at a top school where basically everyone scored in the top 5% on the SAT is significantly more difficult than getting average at a school where students scored anywhere from below average on the SAT up to the 99th percentile. That's just common sense. For example, are you more likely to be in the top of your med school class if you went to Harvard Med or, let's say, DMUCOM where there is a high GPA and low MCAT average? The medical content is similar at both schools, but you know Harvard will be more competitive. Why? Because the people selected were more competitive from the beginning. And whose average USMLE score will be higher? Harvard's. At my school, the lowest MCAT grade I ever heard of was 28. I doubt if more than 1 person a year scores below a 28 so my science classes already contain med-school level students.

Anyways, no one is arguing that the Ivies don't teach as much as other schools and the general consensus is that science classes at the majority of top schools are not inflated. At my school, average= B (or C+/B- for biochem) and one standard deviation above the mean= A-. That's inflated to the grading system that previously existed at my school, but it's not at all inflated compared to other schools.

The fact of the matter is that getting B (average) at a top school where basically everyone scored in the top 5% on the SAT is significantly more difficult than getting average at a school where students scored anywhere from below average on the SAT up to the 99th percentile. That's just common sense. For example, are you more likely to be in the top of your med school class if you went to Harvard Med or, let's say, DMUCOM where there is a high GPA and low MCAT average? The medical content is similar at both schools, but you know Harvard will be more competitive. Why? Because the people selected were more competitive from the beginning. And whose average USMLE score will be higher? Harvard's. At my school, the lowest MCAT grade I ever heard of was 28. I doubt if more than 1 person a year scores below a 28 so my science classes already contain med-school level students.

Is there a way to find out average USMLE scores for schools? I'm wondering if the claim that Harvard students do better than other medical schools is true and to what extent.

Is there a way to find out average USMLE scores for schools? I'm wondering if the claim that Harvard students do better than other medical schools is true and to what extent.
On first search I found : https://anastomosed.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/step-1-scores-at-top-schools-2012/

According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMLE_Step_1. the average score that year was 224 with one standard deviation above being 245. So Harvard's average was a little below one standard deviation above the mean

Edit: oh great, got verified today and without my first year math grades in the AACOMAS science gpa, my sGPA is a little above a 3.4

Last edited:
On first search I found : https://anastomosed.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/step-1-scores-at-top-schools-2012/

According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMLE_Step_1. the average score that year was 224 with one standard deviation above being 245. So Harvard's average was a little below one standard deviation above the mean
@mimelim has repeatedly said on these boards that the US News reports on average Step 1's are "wildly inaccurate" based on his own comparison to internal top school data. Don't believe them!

There is no legitimate source for this, no

Edit: oh great, got verified today and without my first year math grades in the AACOMAS science gpa, my sGPA is a little above a 3.4

@mimelim has repeatedly said on these boards that the US News reports on average Step 1's are "wildly inaccurate" based on his own comparison to internal top school data. Don't believe them!

There is no legitimate source for this, no

That link in the first one looks like the 2012 data, which corresponds to the year when the average step 1 score in the US was 227. You are telling me that 25 schools are above average in their Step 1 score and everyone else is below? When USNews originally started publishing numbers, nobody could figure out where they were getting their info from. Given that at our school and one other that we checked with, the numbers didn't line up at all (3 years ago), the common assumption was that they a) simply made it up or b) grabbed data from an incomplete/****ty source and tried to pawn it off on people. Anyone that tries to sell you that one school is superior to another because of Step scores is shoveling a ton of bull****. Better students do better on standardized tests. It really actually is that simple.

This.

I have heard that Ivy League schools inflate grades from a lot of people now. This is quite surprising and somewhat concerning as well.

Can anyone comment on this?

I have heard that Ivy League schools inflate grades from a lot of people now. This is quite surprising and somewhat concerning as well.

Can anyone comment on this?
Because I don't want to type this out for the 8th time, look through my post history and you'll find my comments on why "inflation" in the sciences at these schools is not actually inflation. If you want a more in-depth answer, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it.

Because I don't want to type this out for the 8th time, look through my post history and you'll find my comments on why "inflation" in the sciences at these schools is not actually inflation. If you want a more in-depth answer, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it.

Yea, i'll go through it.

*Though it remains inflation relative to peer institutes that grade to harsher medians

Status
Not open for further replies.