Any lab techs go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone has become a MD or DO, after getting a degree in Medical Lab Technology or working as a tech (via alternate route) and how that helped or limited them.

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested about this, I've asked something similar but not everything I was wondering was addressed. I'm graduating this month with the degree and applying the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm working as one now and applying this cycle. A girl I know who got the degree (doubtful she'll work in it) got accepted at a couple schools and said some adcomms found her "unique" major to be interesting so it helped her in interviews. As far as how they look at just your application, it doesn't do much in your favor but it doesn't hurt you either. My per-health advisor has seen a few med techs who became docs (both DO and MD) so as long as you're a competitive applicant and have all the prerequisites your chances are as good as any bio or chem major ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two Med Techs in my class. Both do well, but one is always one of the top in the class. She said her major and experience in the lab has helped tremendously.

I've had tons of students who used to be lab techs. As a former lab tech myself, I have a soft spot for them. In no way can I think of how this would limit one, and it would definitely help.

I'm just curious if anyone has become a MD or DO, after getting a degree in Medical Lab Technology or working as a tech (via alternate route) and how that helped or limited them.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had tons of students who used to be lab techs. As a former lab tech myself, I have a soft spot for them. In no way can I think of how this would limit one, and it would definitely help.

I've had ppl assume I'm dumber than other science majors (mostly other students) little do they know how hard it can be. I hope the aforementioned assumption isn't shared by adcoms...

I sure hope so as well, I have absolutely worked my butt off in my program I'm graduating in a week and I got straight A's through the program. I struggled in school before I started the program because I was just going to classes and brainflushing useless information week after week, I felt like I was taking classes with no purpose.

I truly loved what I studied in this small glimpse of medicine and that made all the difference for me, we had half our class fail out over the course of the program. So let that be a sentiment to all the nay sayers @LilEngineThatCould

I sure hope so as well, I have absolutely worked my butt off in my program I'm graduating in a week and I got straight A's through the program. I struggled in school before I started the program because I was just going to classes and brainflushing useless information week after week, I felt like I was taking classes with no purpose.

I truly loved what I studied in this small glimpse of medicine and that made all the difference for me, we had half our class fail out over the course of the program. So let that be a sentiment to all the nay sayers @LilEngineThatCould
That's how I feel. At my school, kids that failed out of bio or chem majors were sent to the med tech advisor and sure enough they'd fail out of our major too lol we had 2-4 tests a week on top of labs and other classes so idk where that mentality comes from. I work as a med tech now and it's no walk in the park (more fun though) and I'm constantly learning new things. If it wasn't for the lack of contact with patients I might consider making it my career.

Those sound like comments made by people who never had to work for a living.

I've had ppl assume I'm dumber than other science majors (mostly other students)

Definitely not!
I hope the aforementioned assumption isn't shared by adcoms

Reactions: 1 users
Those sound like comments made by people who never had to work for a living.

I've had ppl assume I'm dumber than other science majors (mostly other students)

Definitely not!
I hope the aforementioned assumption isn't shared by adcoms
Good to know! :)

I can agree. I was just out of school when I posted this thread. I feel like a whole new person now. Definitely love the lab :)

That's how I feel. At my school, kids that failed out of bio or chem majors were sent to the med tech advisor and sure enough they'd fail out of our major too lol we had 2-4 tests a week on top of labs and other classes so idk where that mentality comes from. I work as a med tech now and it's no walk in the park (more fun though) and I'm constantly learning new things. If it wasn't for the lack of contact with patients I might consider making it my career.
Lack of patient contact?

At a large hospital this was true for me. But I've since went to a small regional hospital and I have to say I meet 12+ patients a day minimum. I'm also part of the trauma response team. Very exciting!

I've had ppl assume I'm dumber than other science majors (mostly other students) little do they know how hard it can be. I hope the aforementioned assumption isn't shared by adcoms...
Usually performance speaks for itself. In my medical school, people with prior backgrounds in healthcare seem to perform above the level of their peers. As a former respiratory therapist, I've had a real edge in everything from physical exams to lab values to cardiopulmonary material.

Op, as a med tech, you'll probably kill it in histo, path, and labs. Most of the things that people in, say, physics or engineering learn aren't all that applicable to medicine. Bio majors fair a bit better, as they learn a lot of pathway stuff that is great to know, but as a lab tech you'll be familiar with a lot of that yourself most likely.

Reactions: 2 users
Usually performance speaks for itself. In my medical school, people with prior backgrounds in healthcare seem to perform above the level of their peers. As a former respiratory therapist, I've had a real edge in everything from physical exams to lab values to cardiopulmonary material.

Op, as a med tech, you'll probably kill it in histo, path, and labs. Most of the things that people in, say, physics or engineering learn aren't all that applicable to medicine. Bio majors fair a bit better, as they learn a lot of pathway stuff that is great to know, but as a lab tech you'll be familiar with a lot of that yourself most likely.
Thank you so much,

You know what though, I've learned the most from Doctors speaking to me on the job, situations that occurs, and what not.

Once I even had a diagnosis changed to CLL (based on the smudge cells the patient had). I do wish some of my co-workers had a desire to advance or care at least. One co-worker admits to simply pushing buttons and hoping for the best. She's smart in making sure the result is correct, but she can't add up that a O mother giving birth to a A/B/AB child is more likely to have ABO HDFN due to the mother having anti-AB (IgG) vs. a >A/>B (IgM). I'm

Lack of patient contact?

At a large hospital this was true for me. But I've since went to a small regional hospital and I have to say I meet 12+ patients a day minimum. I'm also part of the trauma response team. Very exciting!

Oh, when you work at bigger hospitals, the patients never see the lab techs except when we're walking into or out work lol I know at smaller hospitals the lab techs do blood draws and can take on other duties which is nicer than working in bigger labs.

Thank you so much,

You know what though, I've learned the most from Doctors speaking to me on the job, situations that occurs, and what not.

Once I even had a diagnosis changed to CLL (based on the smudge cells the patient had). I do wish some of my co-workers had a desire to advance or care at least. One co-worker admits to simply pushing buttons and hoping for the best. She's smart in making sure the result is correct, but she can't add up that a O mother giving birth to a A/B/AB child is more likely to have ABO HDFN due to the mother having anti-AB (IgG) vs. a >A/>B (IgM). I'm
There's a lot of techs who take it like it's an assembly line job, but the good techs know better. I hate getting nurses who think we're cancelling tests because we don't care about the patient, but just because I don't see them doesn't mean I want them to die lol we've had ppl at my job get fired for being careless and blood bank is probably the most important one to not be careless in. Regardless, I love being a lab tech and I will have a different appreciation for other lab techs when I become a physician because of my experience :)