Any love from top 20's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swashbuckaroo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you also have a realistic list?
20 donations seems like a lot to me. But a strong strategy that includes applying to a dozen schools that might want to interview you has good odds of success, especially if you are from a good state.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be honest- I currently don't have a list other than applying to my state medical schools, Dartmouth, Mayo and the top 20's.

Members don't see this ad :)
The new MSAR comes out in April.
Thank you, I'll be sure to grab a copy. But realistically, do I have no chance with these stats? I'm still deciding whether or not to take the new MCAT in May.

Thank you, I'll be sure to grab a copy. But realistically, do I have no chance with these stats? I'm still deciding whether or not to take the new MCAT in May.
Depending on your state, it may be as high as 70%.

Why not retake the MCAT and make it easier on yourself come application season? You still have time before apps formally open up and before when you would submit.

You have an effectively zero chance at a top 20 (or Dartmouth or Mayo) with a 29 on your MCAT. Either retake your MCAT or create a more realistic school list. The 10th percentile MCAT score at most of these schools is a 32.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd drop research heavy top 20s from your list as well (e.g. Duke, Pitt, etc.).

No research and a 29 MCAT? Save your money and target schools with average accepted stats that match yours. Only U. Washington has a close MCAT, and it only accepts from the region.

I'd drop research heavy top 20s from your list as well (e.g. Duke, Pitt, etc.).

From Harvard to NYU, all of the top-20 value research experience.

If you don't mind, which ones would fall under the category of not research heavy?
Thanks.
You don't have enough research experience for the research "light" top 20s either. WedgeDawg is right in that they all value research, albeit emphasis may vary between the schools.

Sorry OP but 29 MCAT is significantly less than the average among matriculants to ALL SCHOOLS (32ish), which combined with your anemic ECs = don't hold out for a top 20